How much do I need to Partition to run on bootcamp?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
wahh

How much do I need to Partition to run on bootcamp?

Post by wahh » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:01 am

Hi,

My pc recently broke down and I have just purchased a new macbook pro (October 2011 model)
As I want to complete some of my unfinished projects that were on my old laptop, and all my vst's are for windows, I am thinking of running bootcamp, purely to use Ableton.
In doing so, how much space should I partition on my hard drive for bootcamp? I'm assuming ableton and all my plugins will need to be installed in the windows partition of the hard drive. What else? Would all project files and samples packs and such need to be saved there as well?
I guess what I want to know is if it's only software/plugins that needs to be saved in the windows partition for the windows ableton to run properly, or if everything needs to be saved there..
I'm also thinking of getting ableton for mac as well for new projects and projects where I don't need some windows specific vst's, will this create a clash?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to mac, and I'm not familiar with the concept of a dual bot system and a partitioned hard drive... like can I access the windows partition of the hard drive whilst running mac os lion, and vice versa?

Thanks!

wahh

Re: How much do I need to Partition to run on bootcamp?

Post by wahh » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:31 am

Isn't there anyone running ableton via bootcamp that can offer me any advice?

stallos

Post by stallos » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:38 pm

I have got windows partition which started out as 15 gb, I found I needed more space later!
I don't use ableton on the boot camp partition, just mainly for work stuff and sound forge which I really like as a wave editor. There's some software called camp tune by paragon that lets you resize your windows partition, was well worth it for the task. I guess it depends how much space you have left on your hard drive.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:41 pm

I have 150GB assigned to windows on my MBP with a 750GB drive, but I run music software off OSX and really only use the windows side for IT work these days. I did run Live on windows for a while after I got my MBP just because I needed to transfer a load of project as resources over from my other PC and assumed it might be easier to use windows to start with until I got used to OSX.

Performance wise Live seem to run just as well on Windows 7/64 on a 2011 MBP as it does on OSX, However I find Live is more reliable on OSX.

As for partition size - thats a how long is a bit of string question. How big are you libraries? For me 600Gb is nowhere near enough for the OS, apps, plugins, music library, sample library, plugin sample libraries and other resource and of course recent music projects. I need well over about 1TB for all that, so raw sample libraries, music projects and plugin sample library (komplete 8 utlimate, nexus, esx for logic, cubase samples, spectrasonics plugins etc) all live on a 640GB external FW800 drive. Music library for DJing lives on the main drive (so I dont need an additional drive for DJing).

Maybe start with 100GB for OS and Apps then add whatever HD space you think you need for other stuff. If in doubt, plan to use an external drive from the outset as it can be a right pain to change your mind later.
Nothing to see here - move along!

wahh

Post by wahh » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Thanks for the replies!

So that's what I was wondering, what MUST be on the bootcamp hard drive for all my live projects to function properly??
I'm assuming vst plugins must be on the bootcamp hard drive. Is it possible to set your vst plugin folder to an external hard drive? what about with samples? For example I have 100GB of samples, can I put them on a external hard drive (will there be no problems?)
That would be ideal because I have a 1TB external hard drive at the moment, and I wouldn't have to worry about how much to partition etc..

tmixer

Post by tmixer » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:52 pm

Sierra OSX damaged the way USB communicates so many usb interfaces are not longer working. As a result on my mac I used bootcamp to install
win 10 with Live 9 and interface came right up. Can anyone speak to usage on this setup - smooth? Fast? Reliable? Also please speak to the idea of using a thunderbold or usb drive for samples and ALPs

Thanks so much :idea: