MPD Workflow / Pad Sensitivity

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nek4life

MPD Workflow / Pad Sensitivity

Post by nek4life » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:13 pm

I recently got a new mpd32 and I'm finding that the pads are pretty hard to hit consistently with the default settings. I was wondering how other people approach solving this problem.

Do you just run the mpd on full level all the time and adjust the velocity in Ableton later?

Do you change the sensitivity/curve/threshold settings and if so what settings?

Did you install mpcstuff pads and/or corx?

I feel like there is going to be a little bit of learning curve involved anyway so maybe I just need to practice a bunch, but I was hoping to get some mpd veterans input on the matter. Thanks!

stoersignal

Re: MPD Workflow / Pad Sensitivity

Post by stoersignal » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:52 pm

i opened it and put some layers of gaffa tape under the pads. now they are working very good.
search the forum, there are plenty of threads about that

jasonjbundy

Post by jasonjbundy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:55 pm

Go with the thick pads and corx from MPCstuff.com. This makes the MPD experience enjoyable.

Also in the drum racks set the simpler/sampler to default to a velocity of at least 50%.

Cheers!

nek4life

Post by nek4life » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:13 pm

Also in the drum racks set the simpler/sampler to default to a velocity of at least 50%.
Awesome did not know you could do this! Will try that right away before opening up my MPD which also does seem to be a popular way to fix the sensitivity as well.

Opz

Post by Opz » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:24 pm

Get the cork spacers from mpcstuff.com!
I tried the gaffa tape thing, which is no good. The thickness is too inconsistant imo.
I also ordered the thick pads, they're ok.
But you might as well order the regular ones. Those are fine and a bit cheaper.
The thick ones are just for looks, the original mpc's didn't have thick pads either...

UltimateOutsider

Post by UltimateOutsider » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:45 pm

Is anybody who owns an unmodified Akai product with pads actually happy with how they work out of the box? I had read complaints about the MPK49's pads before buying mine, and I was still shocked at how unresponsive and inconsistent they were. (I didn't know about the MPCStuff site; I bought an upgrade kit off eBay, which worked just fine.) The gap between the pads and the sensors has to be intentional, right? I mean they've been producing some of the MPK and MPD models for years and haven't bothered doing a redesign or anything.

nek4life

Post by nek4life » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:55 pm

Opz wrote: I also ordered the thick pads, they're ok.
But you might as well order the regular ones. Those are fine and a bit cheaper.
The thick ones are just for looks, the original mpc's didn't have thick pads either...
I was trying to find more information about this, if there was an actual benefit from having the thick pads or if just adding the corx is enough.

nek4life

Post by nek4life » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:34 pm

UltimateOutsider wrote:Is anybody who owns an unmodified Akai product with pads actually happy with how they work out of the box? I had read complaints about the MPK49's pads before buying mine, and I was still shocked at how unresponsive and inconsistent they were. (I didn't know about the MPCStuff site; I bought an upgrade kit off eBay, which worked just fine.) The gap between the pads and the sensors has to be intentional, right? I mean they've been producing some of the MPK and MPD models for years and haven't bothered doing a redesign or anything.
I read the reviews too and also saw quite a few that said the sensitivity was terrible, but also some that said it was ok so I went for it anyway. Still, I can't believe it's as bad as it is. They must put the spacing in between the sensor and pads for some kind of tactile feel, but without slamming on the pads they aren't really that useful without being set to full level.

I think I'll probably end of up modifying the MPD but for a couple hundred bucks you really shouldn't have to do that.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:48 pm

stoersignal wrote:search the forum, there are plenty of threads about that
this one specifically: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123862

nek4life

Post by nek4life » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:20 pm

H20nly wrote:
stoersignal wrote:search the forum, there are plenty of threads about that
this one specifically: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123862

Yup definitely did some research before I purchased the unit. Just was curious if a lot of people run the pads on full level and modify the velocity settings afterwards in live because in a lot of the video see people are barely hitting the pads. Then again maybe they just did the mod and that's all they need to hit the pads now.

Opz

Post by Opz » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:03 am

I barely have to touch them now the way I set mine up after doing the mod with the cork and the thick pads.
Doing a 'drum roll' with two fingers on a single pad is easy now. Still, the thick pads are kind of overkill, it's just about looks imo. Adding the cork spacers should be enough.

The pads of the new (black) series (MPC 500, 1000, 2500 etc) aren't even as nice as the ones on the legacy units like the 60 and 2000XL. A lot of the old mpc heads think that the pads of the Akai LPD8 comes closest to the feel of the original mpc pads. But I believe the pads of the (current?) Korg PadKontrol get the best reviews when comparing them to the original mpc pads.

nek4life

Post by nek4life » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:09 am

Opz wrote:I barely have to touch them now the way I set mine up after doing the mod with the cork and the thick pads.
Doing a 'drum roll' with two fingers on a single pad is easy now. Still, the thick pads are kind of overkill, it's just about looks imo. Adding the cork spacers should be enough.
Yeah can't decide between the thick pads and the regular pads. I have a feeling there's not many people out there that have installed both and compared them. I'm either going to mod this thing or return it and try out a maschine mikro, seems like people say the pads on those are super sensitive to start with. I just don't know if it's a pain in the ass to use with Ableton or not. Maybe the new software would be cool, but I'd like to keep as much as possible in Ableton as I like the workflow.

piZMo

Post by piZMo » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:58 pm

how thick, in mm, are those cork pads from mpcstuff?

i've been thinking of doing this mod myself but it seems a bit expensive for a little bit of cork, it would cost me $35/£21.50 to get them shipped from mpcstuff to the uk. i can buy an a4 sheet of self adhesive cork 1.5mm thick for £1.60.

Opz

Post by Opz » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:16 am

Quite a while since I've seen them and I'm not going to open it up to check :)
But I think they were at a maximum of 2 mm, can't be sure though.
But for the price you posted I would defenitely try the cheap way first.
If it doesn't work/feel as desired you can still order the cork discs from mpcstuff.

I did some diy stuff myself before I ordered at mpcstuff.
I used those soft pads with some adhesive on one side that can be used for furniture so legs don't scratch the floor. I think they were from Ikea or something, but they were square, too thick and gave a lot of random data on some pads. No good at all. I also tried making my own spacers from different kinds of tape but also cork coasters, all no good. Got sick of trying, ordered the cork mpcstuff spacers (and the thick pads), all good :)

Still can't match the pads of an MPC2000 or 2000XL.
Nek4life, you could pick one up on Ebay or something for the money of that maschine mikro.
You can use it as a midi controller and a sampler/sequencer.

nek4life

Post by nek4life » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:34 am

Opz wrote: Still can't match the pads of an MPC2000 or 2000XL.
Nek4life, you could pick one up on Ebay or something for the money of that maschine mikro.
You can use it as a midi controller and a sampler/sequencer.
Yeah those maschine constrollers aren't cheap. :D I just got this mpd32 3 days ago. I'm starting to get used to how hard I have to hit the pads now, but still think it's way too hard. By the time I order the new pads and corx, this thing will have cost me almost the same as the maschine mikro and I'll have a void warranty.

I do like the mpd as a control surface. I figured out how to map overdub to one of the bottons and also using midiStroke I mapped undo and redo so I can just use the controller while creating clips.

But then I watched a video about how you can use the big maschine as an ableton controller to launch clips and stuff! 8O

Anyway, going to keep messing with this, I have 42 more days before I have to return it.