Very frustrated with the APC20 all of the sudden.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hijo de la pula

Very frustrated with the APC20 all of the sudden.

Post by hijo de la pula » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:31 pm

I played a gig last night and 3 times during an hour and a half it simply stopped working by itself. I did not move any cables nothing was out of place I was just mixing away happily when the APC stops working. Live doesn't respond to any button presses/fader moves and the controller itself, while still ON is in a strange state where the clip buttons I press DO light up, but the controller doesn't control the sowftare anymore.

I tried unplugging and plugging it back in, I tried a different usb port, I tried powering it OFF and ON again, resetting it as a controller in Live's preferences but nothing worked. I eventually had to play a track from a CDJ and reboot Live.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas?
Last edited by hijo de la pula on Mon May 07, 2012 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

hijo de la pula

Re: Verry frustrated with the APC20 all of the sudden.

Post by hijo de la pula » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:11 am

bump?

hijo de la pula

Post by hijo de la pula » Tue May 01, 2012 9:34 am

Help?

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Tue May 01, 2012 1:06 pm

Just buy vengeance sample packs

hijo de la pula

Post by hijo de la pula » Tue May 01, 2012 8:31 pm

WAT

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Tue May 01, 2012 8:58 pm

Sounds like your USB port stopped working a few times. Once Live loses the connection with a MIDI controller you have no choice but to restart LIVE - which totally sucks in live situations.

This happened to me a few times before where the venue had wonky power and my controller was power through the USB port, thus the USB port didn't have enough power sometimes and would loose the connection with the MIDI controller.

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Thu May 03, 2012 1:53 am

I Was So surprises at how traktor handles hot plug and plays with the x1 and even the audio sound card. This is a truly live program.

hijo de la pula

Post by hijo de la pula » Thu May 03, 2012 6:45 am

Really? That's great to hear. I'm trading my APC20 for an X1 and switching to Traktor fro playing out. Paradoxically enough, for my intents and purposes Live just isn't live enough.

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Thu May 03, 2012 10:25 am

Da hand wrote:Sounds like your USB port stopped working a few times. Once Live loses the connection with a MIDI controller you have no choice but to restart LIVE - which totally sucks in live situations.

This happened to me a few times before where the venue had wonky power and my controller was power through the USB port, thus the USB port didn't have enough power sometimes and would loose the connection with the MIDI controller.
So Macs ARE better for music production after all then as you can power any of your USB devices at any point after live starts! :-)

rsaulo

Post by rsaulo » Thu May 03, 2012 1:36 pm

Piplodocus wrote:
So Macs ARE better for music production after all then as you can power any of your USB devices at any point after live starts! :-)
^^^ this

Just buy a MAC, you will never have problems with USB, Drivers, etc again... 8) 8) 8)

Observer-A

Post by Observer-A » Thu May 03, 2012 1:59 pm

rsaulo wrote:
Piplodocus wrote:
^^^ this

Just buy a MAC, you will never have problems with USB, Drivers, etc again... 8) 8) 8)
That blew my mind the first time I saw it. My brother fires up Live on his MBP and then starts plugging in his devices lol.

This is definitely one of the biggest disadvantages with using a PC live.
Ableton Crackhead and Habitual Drum Hitter
Observer-A.com
DustedGroove.com
Soundcloud

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Sat May 05, 2012 5:21 pm

Observer-A wrote:
rsaulo wrote:
Piplodocus wrote:
^^^ this

That blew my mind the first time I saw it. My brother fires up Live on his MBP and then starts plugging in his devices lol.

This is definitely one of the biggest disadvantages with using a PC live.
Please note that this is not a PC issue, but Ableton's for PC issue. Traktor on a PC doesn't have this problem. On Traktor I can unplug my controller and plug it back in without having to restart anything.

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Sat May 05, 2012 6:37 pm

Something I learned recently on PC, as long as the controller is working when you start up Live you just have to re-'Track' it in the MIDI settings to get it working again after loosing connection.

celeriak

Post by celeriak » Sun May 06, 2012 6:47 am

Sweet ! Gonna try it out. Thanks for the tip
:P

hijo de la pula

Post by hijo de la pula » Sun May 06, 2012 10:53 am

Donnie wrote:Something I learned recently on PC, as long as the controller is working when you start up Live you just have to re-'Track' it in the MIDI settings to get it working again after loosing connection.

If by this you mean deactivating and reactivating the "track" buttons in the midi preferences... for me it didn't work. That was the first thing I thought of when the APC20 stopped working for me on stage.

And no, I'm never getting a mac.

Instead, I was lucky to have a buddy that wanted to sell his X1 so I traded him my APC20 for his X1 and I have to say, I'm blown away... Traktor and X1 is all I really need for playing live. Some people may disagree, because their routine and needs might be different, but for me, it's never been easier and more fun to mix tracks that it is now. Also hot-plugable means I can fool about and disconnect and reconnect the X1 during my gigs just to see all those pretty lights and for lols.