DJM 900 Nexus with Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nick.miritello

DJM 900 Nexus with Ableton

Post by nick.miritello » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:32 pm

I've recently been considering investing in a DJM 900 nexus to use with Ableton for DJing, however I'm a little confused on how this works. I'm aware that it can be set up as a midi controller for Ableton and control parameters, but is the functionality of the mixer still available to use on top of the audio?

For example, are you able to simply have Ableton feeding audio to channels 1-4 and all the filters/effects of the mixer working on top of that?

asha.dan

Re: DJM 900 Nexus with Ableton

Post by asha.dan » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:02 am

I dont have a 900 but you should be able to route it from 4 single tracks in Ableton... from what I remember the 900 lets you send 4 stereo outputs, so try this

-Open Preferences and look under Audio>Channel Config>Output Config and make sure that there are at least 4 stereo outputs enabled (1/2, 3/4, 5/6 etc)
-Now make 4 Audio tracks to DJ from and under Audio Track 1 make sure you can see the I/O panel and select Audio To Ext Out... and then 1/2. Select 3/4 for track 2 etc

Your outputs will now be bypassing the master and going straight to the mixer as single tracks. if you want to use effects in Abe you could always make your 4th output come from a send track instead

Hope this helps

TallestTowers

Post by TallestTowers » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:08 am

This should do the trick but remember to change the inputs on the DJM 900 to come from the soundcard and not the phono inputs. These should match up with what you're going out of in Ableton..... example is first fader on the mixer is 1-2, first "deck" or track in ableton is set to go out 1-2. Second fader is 3 - 4, Second audio track is 3 - 4, etc.

IMO this is the best way to DJ with Ableton. Bypass the master bus and use your mixer for what it was made for and Ableton as your "crate" and awesome FX.

BOT_ALPHA

Post by BOT_ALPHA » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:29 pm

*I'm really not an expert on this, I am in your same situation with buying a 900nxs*

You could just run it as an external soundcard/mixer. I would rather have the effects/functionality of the mixer, considering that the more presets you load into live, the more it lags. Just assign each track in live to the desired channel on the mixer, set either your channels to A or B, depending on how you want to mix, and have at it. That's just my opinion though. Also, just using the mixer for audio makes cueing tracks much easier than with a regular soundcard.

Nick Shepherd

Post by Nick Shepherd » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:37 pm

Pioneer has a dedicated routing tool for their digital mixers - called Pioneer DJM-900 Nexus Setting Utility..

If you install the driver you can configure how the channels should be setup in the Setting Utility panel and then assign them to your channels in live.

So yea, using the mixers effects, filters etc on the 4 channels will still work, even though i really hate the sound of the Pioneer mixers effects, tinny, digital sounding trash ^^