legato

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jeskola

legato

Post by jeskola » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:48 pm

sorry for posting a second question tonight...
having hair pulling moments here with legato ... aaarrrghhhhh :lol:

okay i have a track playing in channel 1.

i set it to legato mode, copy it and paste it underneath itself.

whilst instance one is playing, i set a 4 bar loop up in instance 2 which loops the breakdown.

when instance 1 reaches the breakdown i press play on instance 2 and it semalessly transfers over to instance 2. fine. so this just loops away to itself.

Now when i want to resume the track, i would assume all i have to do is press play in instance 1 and it will take over with the srm at the same position it was in instance 2...

well you'd think so... it seems that it kicks back in where it would have been if youd left it playing... so say instance 2 looped for 30 seconds, when you click play on instance 1 instead of playing at the exact point instance 2 was at the arm is now 30 seconds past this point.

Does this make sense?
help !!

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:07 pm

can anyone help or does this not make sens what i have written?

SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:50 pm

Why not use Follow Actions? What you want can easly be done with follow action.

set 'play next' in the first instance, with the corresponding follow action time (say e.g. 32 0 0)
set the second instance to loop
make a thrid instance that starts right behind the part of instance two, either with a follow action or manualy.

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:42 pm

i could do but i want to use this for djing with.

say i have a track playing, i want to be able to copy and paste the track thats playig underneath itself (creat another instance in other words) and set, say a 4 bar loop in the pasted version. Then i'd like to click play in the looped instance so that it takes over and loops away to itself...

i now want to be able to drag the original instance on top of the looping version to kick it out the loop... it kind of works at the moment but rather than start where the arm is it plays from where the arm would be if hadnt been looping.

can you shed some light on this?

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:38 pm

I just want to add that the legato function makes little sense to me. I tried working with it, reading the manual, I even pay careful attention to related threads. I found the follow actions to be much easier but I have a feeling that I am missing out on something great.

The Mysterious Flying Pum

Work as designed

Post by The Mysterious Flying Pum » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:39 pm

Hi Jeskola,
What you describe is exactly how it is supposed to work and how it was designed!
Legato mode is very usefull for short break/drum samples (at least for me!) but I agree that it is not appropriate for what you want to do with entire songs. What you have to do is split your song in 3 clips:
- 1st part
- your break loop
- last part that start where part one finished
Cheers
13" MacBook - 1Gb RAM/OSX10.4 - Live 6

Chalupa

Post by Chalupa » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:51 pm

legato works the best with clips of identical length
whats is making it difficult is you have the changing the loops points
for the effect you want youre beter off using 3 clips with careful attention to quantization of launching instead of using a legato
for best good results of legato try setting up identical clips
with different envelopes for filters or something and legato between them
this has been the best of results i have made with it

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:59 pm

Having read thorugh numerous posts
ive come up with a way round this ...

i set up a new channel soley for recording.

I arm the new channel to record from the channel thats playing, when i hear a loop i want i click record and then stop when i ve grabbed my loop...

then all i do is drag the recorded clip over to the channel and click play - as you can only have one clip per channel playing - it takes over and loops away, all i need do now is move the arm to where the loop is in the original clip and wait till you want to fire it....

Can do this with vocals, or beats and pieces and store them for later use too... quite handy.