Complex rhythmical textures

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bradelectro

Complex rhythmical textures

Post by bradelectro » Tue May 01, 2012 11:30 pm

Was sniffing around for production technique inspiration the other night and stumbled upon this:
Take a vocal sound, set it looping but with a relatively short loop size. Now, map the loop start position to a rhythmical step sequencer. This means the start point of the loop will jump around in sync with the steps in the sequencer, by however much you set on each step. Immediately you will notice your sound has transformed from a stuttering sound, to something much more complex. Try sending the cutoff to the step sequencer also, and maybe the sample rate too – you’ll quickly start to see how incredibly rich complex sounds can spring out of nowhere.
Original Beatport article

I wanna give this a whirl but have only gotten so far as to load up an instance of Max MIDI Effect/Step Sequencer and drag a horn sample in. Assuming this is the step sequencer the article above mentions, how would I route the start time of the sample to the sequencer?

matthews

Re: Complex rhythmical textures

Post by matthews » Tue May 01, 2012 11:32 pm

very interesting, might have to give this a try as well.

post back with your findings if you get this going :)

dude rancher

Post by dude rancher » Wed May 02, 2012 12:18 am

yes can someone elaborate on how to route the sequencer to the start time/simpler or sampler?

bradelectro

Post by bradelectro » Wed May 02, 2012 12:36 am

Cool- glad you guys are interested too. I went ahead and posted a reply to the original article. A couple years late but you never know!

grunzlaut

Post by grunzlaut » Wed May 02, 2012 4:45 pm

dude rancher wrote:yes can someone elaborate on how to route the sequencer to the start time/simpler or sampler?
sorry, i can`t. But I have another solution: insert your sample into session view and duplicate it several times into slots on the same track and change the start points on all of them ( maybe with grid disabled to set the start point really out of timing). then set up follow actions (check the manual for that. I`m too lazy to get into details with this). you can do a lot of randomising this way which can create a texture which wont repeat for an infinite amount of time (given you make a reasonable amount of altered clips)

bradelectro

Post by bradelectro » Fri May 04, 2012 12:33 am

Thanks for the tip, grunzlaut- I'll try it out.