any tips in getting "mpc compression" using ableton?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jorelpri

any tips in getting "mpc compression" using ableton?

Post by jorelpri » Mon May 07, 2012 2:41 pm

what are some of the settings you guys use to get that fat mpc sound?

heuristics

Re: any tips in getting "mpc compression" using ableton?

Post by heuristics » Tue May 08, 2012 12:23 am

have never owned an mpc myself, but I'd say layering up appropriate samples and having good drum busses setup will get you some fat sounding results.
Parallel compression, tubes, and saturation are also things that can beef up your drums.
I think compressor settings depends on the specific samples your using.

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Tue May 08, 2012 3:35 am

Do you have an MPC? If so, sample into the MPC, the play from the MPC into Ableton.

The sound we all like is probably from the hitting the convertors in the MPC a little hot, which compresses it slightly.

Opz

Post by Opz » Tue May 08, 2012 10:50 am

contakt321 wrote:Do you have an MPC? If so, sample into the MPC, the play from the MPC into Ableton.

The sound we all like is probably from the hitting the convertors in the MPC a little hot, which compresses it slightly.
One of the older generation like MPC60(mkII), 2000(xl), 3000. The newer generation like the 500, 1000 etc does not sound the same, actually it doesn't even come close. The old ones are bad ass when it comes to drums.

timday

Post by timday » Tue May 08, 2012 11:33 am

http://www.goldbaby.co.nz/mpc60_vol1.html
http://www.goldbaby.co.nz/mpc60_vol2.html
http://www.goldbaby.co.nz/mpc60_vol3.html

All the Goldbaby stuff sounds great and is pretty cheap IMHO.

PS I do not work for Goldbaby or anything. But when a small production house brings out high quality stuff I feel I should support them.

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Tue May 08, 2012 6:40 pm

Opz wrote:
contakt321 wrote:Do you have an MPC? If so, sample into the MPC, the play from the MPC into Ableton.

One of the older generation like MPC60(mkII), 2000(xl), 3000. The newer generation like the 500, 1000 etc does not sound the same, actually it doesn't even come close. The old ones are bad ass when it comes to drums.
Yes, I have one :mrgreen:

In reality, they PROBABLY all will affect the sound in some way just from going OTB and hitting the connvertors

Opz

Post by Opz » Tue May 08, 2012 7:05 pm

contakt321 wrote: Yes, I have one :mrgreen:
In reality, they PROBABLY all will affect the sound in some way just from going OTB and hitting the connvertors
Yes they do affect the sound, you are right about that.
But that 'fat sound' which they're known for comes from the old generation.
You're from NY right? Most of the big name producers in hiphop use the old generation just because of how they sound. Except for RZA who used a Roland (forgot the model) for quite some time :) The Ensoniq ASR-10 was also quite popular, people like Alchemist used it a lot.

jorelpri

Post by jorelpri » Thu May 10, 2012 4:25 pm

hey guys thanks for the tips! i actually wanted to know what presets or parameters i should be messing with to get that fat mpc sound.thanks.

savyurrecords

Post by savyurrecords » Thu May 10, 2012 5:03 pm

There aren't really any "settings or presets" to get the MPC sound. You need an older MPC.

However, you do not need an MPC to get a good sound. You just need to use your ears and play around with compression and eq

Dragonbreath

Post by Dragonbreath » Thu May 10, 2012 5:36 pm

well using drum racks make sure the simpler settings are good, by default it doesnt work well, change volume, velocity and I think decay.

Those old machines had lower grade converters so try slapping a redux at 12bits after the rack

Also a saturator would give it some crunch. maybe drive it in the red a little an put a limitor after.

evangelink

Post by evangelink » Thu May 10, 2012 7:38 pm

If you are after presets to play with, Try D16's Definitely has an MPC preset that gives crunchy drums.