The most epic looping video I've done

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Gavin Castleton

Re: The most epic looping video I've done

Post by Gavin Castleton » Sat May 12, 2012 8:27 am

It was indeed a one man job - that's why it took 3 months (from arranging to rehearsing to shooting to editing). Thanks for checking it out!

Gavin Castleton

Post by Gavin Castleton » Tue May 15, 2012 5:31 am

Hey guys, enough folks asked for details about the programming of this video that I opted to make the workfile available for download. You can find a link on the video page in the Description: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS5VTDEfPyQ

ferkijel

Post by ferkijel » Tue May 15, 2012 1:29 pm

Certainly not my type of music (I like classic rock, progressive rock, some metal), but this is some outstanding, extraordinary work. 10001 kudos, Gavin !

Gavin Castleton

Post by Gavin Castleton » Tue May 15, 2012 4:10 pm

Thank you for giving it a chance! Incidentally, most of my body of work is considerably prog-y. I'd invite you to check out my bands:
Gruvis Malt - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q82qAl94Ex4
Ebu Gogo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQEVtXJOERY
Home (full concept album stream) - http://www.gavincastleton.com/#listen

Those things might be more your speed?

ferkijel

Post by ferkijel » Tue May 15, 2012 4:52 pm

Just spent the last 7:17 min listening to Grüvis' "Great work of fiction". It certainly plucks MY string. Unfortunately the Integersonly store has a "The store is currently offline as we try to find ourselves." notice. Perhaps iTunes ?

Edit: yeap. :D

Gavin Castleton

Post by Gavin Castleton » Tue May 15, 2012 8:42 pm

Thanks for checking it out, ferkijel!
I would say that the prog musician's favorites seem to be:
Gruvis Malt's "Simon"
Ebu Gogo "Worlds"
Gruvis Malt "Maximum Unicorn"

All are available on iTunes or CDbaby!

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed May 16, 2012 12:27 am

Home is pretty epic.

I enjoy the commentary and don't think a lot of people would realize all the complexities especially homage wise if you didn't mention them (ie Goblin, Queen, etc and while there wasn't mention of John Carpenter, that's what also came to mind)
8)
Props!
ImageImage

TabSel

Post by TabSel » Wed May 16, 2012 10:32 am

Gavin,

recently I saw an advertisement for a concert of the good Peter Gabriel giving a concert in Munich. I explained to my kids who peter gabriel is, that he wrote one of my favorite songs of all time, sledge hammer. I sat on the toilet with my iphone and searched for sledge hammer in youtube, to show it my kids. And I found your cover, began to listen and was fascinated.

You instantly became one of my favorite artists. I listend to your sledge hammer over and over and over again, and I could not get enough. I dug "Hope is a drug", too, but sledge hammer simply rang more.

Just yesterday I came back from holiday and I had to check for news of you. I watched and listened to "Chameleon" and, again, what a fanastic piece of artwork. I can't get enough of these two songs of yours.

There are, to me, only two artists, who made songs which will never get boring, no matter how often you listen to them, as there simply is no repetiton in it, you always hear something new. Now, imagining you did a Live looping here, which implies "repetition", but I can't hear anything repeating to a boring a level, this work truly is a masterpiece. One of these mentioned artists is the good old "Prince". The other one is you.

Your "Chameleon" is one of the best tracks I heard in my whole live. I'm already getting on my girl friends nerves, cause I don't listen to anything else anymore since yesterday...

Brillant! Thank you!

Gavin Castleton

Post by Gavin Castleton » Wed May 16, 2012 6:21 pm

That is incredibly kind of you, TabSel, even if it's a little unnerving - I'm not sure I'm comfortable being put in that weight class! But I'm excited to hear that all the work I put into the Sledgehammer performance introduced me to listeners such as yourself!

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Thu May 17, 2012 2:23 am

This is really really fantastic. Playing the automation live is WHERE IT'S AT! Well done.

In other news, your keyboard playing ridiculous. I love your work with Puremagnetik, I basically signed up because of you.
you should release midi packs my friend! I'd be all over em.

and I can't believe you didn't have any tuning on your voice. wow.
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

Gavin Castleton

Post by Gavin Castleton » Thu May 17, 2012 7:26 am

Thanks Jekblad! I'm a big proponent of puremagnetik packs. We sampled my pump organ for a sample pack short while ago - the same one I used in this video: https://vimeo.com/2762672

micah frank

Post by micah frank » Fri May 18, 2012 12:24 pm

that was some funky sh*t gavin. excellent stuff! thanks.