Nocturn/Automap destroyed ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Destroid

Nocturn/Automap destroyed ableton

Post by Destroid » Fri May 11, 2012 12:44 am

I got several bluescreens getting this to work and now it's giving me errors asking to reinstall automap all over again(I just did that) as well as saying all my cfg files are corrupted. Can't use even my launchpad anymore.

Destroid

Re: Nocturn/Automap destroyed ableton

Post by Destroid » Fri May 11, 2012 3:07 am

I got some things working again, but in general Automap is a disaster. It freezes, crashes and is quite possibly the worst piece of software I've ever used.

Destroid

Post by Destroid » Fri May 11, 2012 3:14 am

Now it's confusing the two devices. The Launchpad won't work as a Launchpad and tries to act like it's the Nocturne. This is just unbelievable. How they get away with making such user unfriendly devices?

matthews

Post by matthews » Fri May 11, 2012 3:39 am

do you NEED automap?

You can use both devices without it, the python scripts in live are separate from automap and are uneffected by anything automap does....

Just make sure automap isn't selected in the midi section of your preferences and you should be okay, or you can just uninstall it altogether.....

If you really need automap, then just uninstall and remove all its contents and do a completely fresh installation.

If its confusing the devices, are you sure they aren't just on the same channel right now?

Destroid

Post by Destroid » Fri May 11, 2012 3:45 am

I don't think they are. I heard something about them both using CC0 but switching around with that didn't resolve it. Everything's so confusing, there aren't any real midi options.

I would like to do this without automap, but how does that work? I couldn't get the Nocturn working at all without it.

Destroid

Post by Destroid » Fri May 11, 2012 3:51 am

Alright, I got rid of automap. Now I'm in the position I was before I installed it - the device refuses to so much as light up. What do I do? What am I missing?

matthews

Post by matthews » Fri May 11, 2012 3:59 am

do you NEED automap though? You can use both the launchpad and the nocturn in live without it, very well might I add. Automap just gives you limited additional functionality, that may not even be of any use to you....

I've been using a launchpad and a slmk2 (another novation keyboard/controller) for a few years now, and I've never had the need for automap. The included python script for both controllers (that's standard with live) is really quite good and sufficient for most users I would say.

If you want to use them without automap, then just plug both devices in via usb and start ableton. Then go to preferences > MIDI | SYNC. Select each as a control surface and choose the respective device in each input/output section. Then below, where it says: MIDI PORTS | Track | SYNC | REMOTE, you want to select Track & Remote for each device input and output (the launchpad and the nocturn). Presto, you're up and running.

Make sense?

Destroid

Post by Destroid » Fri May 11, 2012 4:07 am

matthews wrote:do you NEED automap though? You can use both the launchpad and the nocturn in live without it, very well might I add. Automap just gives you limited additional functionality, that may not even be of any use to you....

I've been using a launchpad and a slmk2 (another novation keyboard/controller) for a few years now, and I've never had the need for automap. The included python script for both controllers (that's standard with live) is really quite good and sufficient for most users I would say.

If you want to use them without automap, then just plug both devices in via usb and start ableton. Then go to preferences > MIDI | SYNC. Select each as a control surface and choose the respective device in each input/output section. Then below, where it says: MIDI PORTS | Track | SYNC | REMOTE, you want to select Track & Remote for each device input and output (the launchpad and the nocturn). Presto, you're up and running.

Make sense?
There is no standard script in Live for the Nocturn. I know how to set up MIDI devices. This does not work.

matthews

Post by matthews » Fri May 11, 2012 4:41 am

Ahhh that's news to me, weird that the nocturn doesn't have standard support. Even the launchpad won't work natively?

alexl_novation

Post by alexl_novation » Fri May 11, 2012 8:50 am

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear of the problems you have been experiencing. If you are worried that your preferences are corrupt it would be worth deleting the preferences.cfg file by following the guide below. Please note that by doing this you will reset all of your preferences in Live.

http://www.ableton.com/pages/faq/instal ... aq_12_link

Please ensure that you haven't removed the Novation USB driver. This can be downloaded from here.

http://www.novationmusic.com/support/do ... launchpad/

The Launchpad does not require Automap to work however the Nocturn does. If you continue to experience problems with Automap after deleting your preferences file please contact Novation Technical Support using the contact form below.

http://www.novationmusic.com/answerbase/en/contact.php

Best regards,
Alex Lucas // Novation Technical Support
http://www.novationmusic.com
Last edited by alexl_novation on Fri May 11, 2012 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Fri May 11, 2012 10:29 am

The Launchpad should work just fine without Automap, but the Nocturn only works through Automap. Automap is a clever idea, but in practice, it's mostly given me grief. I've renamed the .exe file so that it doesn't automatically launch when I start Live. I've ditched my second Nocturn, and, as I said, the Launchpad doesn't need automap (I'm also using the excellent LPC script). The reason why I didn't simply uninstall Automap altogether, is that I LOVE using the Launchpad with Photoshop(!) for its easy-peasy QWERTY shortcut functionality. :D

DJ_Zombot

Post by DJ_Zombot » Fri May 11, 2012 6:59 pm

Destroid wrote:Alright, I got rid of automap. Now I'm in the position I was before I installed it - the device refuses to so much as light up. What do I do? What am I missing?
That you Myer?