iPad1 ok for ableton /audio apps?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mr.ergonomics

iPad1 ok for ableton /audio apps?

Post by mr.ergonomics » Sun May 13, 2012 3:17 pm

hey I want some new midi controller and since the lemour/touchable thing looks really perfect to me so I'm thinking about getting an used iPad 1 generation(cheaper...) instead. Too bad that you can't use andoid for this stuff (ok you can but it way less advanced).

I would only use it as a midi controller. Is an iPad 1 enough for it? Furthermore I'm really concerned with iOS support, my iPod 2gen isn't supported anymore so I could not get a lot of new apps for it. Is this something you have to worry about with the iPad 1 too?

So in a nutshell, is relatively future proof thing you would recommend or not?

thanks

ps: just to be sure, andoid is no real alternative for this stuff, right?

stoersignal

Re: iPad1 ok for ableton /audio apps?

Post by stoersignal » Sun May 13, 2012 5:34 pm

ipad1 is definitly enough if you use it just as a midi controller

Liam

Post by Liam » Sun May 13, 2012 6:52 pm

mr.ergonomics wrote:hey I want some new midi controller and since the lemour/touchable thing looks really perfect to me so I'm thinking about getting an used iPad 1 generation(cheaper...) instead. Too bad that you can't use andoid for this stuff (ok you can but it way less advanced).

I would only use it as a midi controller. Is an iPad 1 enough for it? Furthermore I'm really concerned with iOS support, my iPod 2gen isn't supported anymore so I could not get a lot of new apps for it. Is this something you have to worry about with the iPad 1 too?

thanks

New iPad 2s are now $399

I've seem refurbished ones for about $239?

I think Android will catch up for such audio/midi apps soonish.

JES

Post by JES » Mon May 14, 2012 4:12 am

mr.ergonomics wrote:hey I want some new midi controller and since the lemour/touchable thing looks really perfect to me so I'm thinking about getting an used iPad 1 generation(cheaper...) instead. Too bad that you can't use andoid for this stuff (ok you can but it way less advanced).

thanks

I use an ipad1 and touchAble and it's totally reliable.

dphouse84

Post by dphouse84 » Wed May 30, 2012 2:24 am

Same here. This app made my midi controllers become dust/space collectors, even sold a couple. Love the app. I need to get max and see what that's like. Been away from the forums for a while, but typing on my iPad and getting ready to load up touchable and my mbp.
Touchable has it's learning curves, but after a few hours with it, you will be well satisfied. Very stable, quick response. Noooo mapping, tweaking, yes, but no mapping. It's like a mirror touch interface. What you do in the program is recognized on screen.
I've been using it since its earlier stages. These guys that wrote all the code did a fantastic job collaborating.

Sold my padkongrol
Sold my remote zero
Bcr... Taking up space
Microkontol, collecting dust

Btw, I use the original iPad, and am looking to build a monome; looks like a fun project.
I'm hard on devices, and am happy with what I have, because it works, don't see the need for a newer version iPad as of yet. Had a 3GS, work phone is an iPhone 4, personal is a 4s, all comparable doing midi type stuff.
Good luck on you hunt. Gear shopping is always fun!
Stuff I actually use.
sound card, speakers, mic, MBP, Mighty Mouse, Ableton, Reason, iPad, iPhone,Touchable, Rebirth, & other apps.
Pair of Technics 1200's, and a Pioneer Mixer

ekwipt

Post by ekwipt » Wed May 30, 2012 3:09 am

I had a iPad1 a lot of apps crash on t because of the lack of memory.

IPad2 should be fine, it's actually had a silent upgrade not sure if the memory was updated

I have a ipad3 barely any crashes, sometimes with safari, they're definitely improving the product.

Lemur, Touchable, Griid, TouchOSC are great apps

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed May 30, 2012 4:19 am

The downside of the iPad 1 is that once you get you, you'll want to start using it for more than you realize now. That's when the downsides will start cropping up.

Opz

Post by Opz » Wed May 30, 2012 6:58 am

It's ok to do most stuff on it. I use an iPad1 for daily use.

I use it for OSC/Midi control (TouchOSC for Live and V-Control Pro for Pro Tools 10), reading pdf's/ebooks, playing games and the obvious everyday things one can do on the internet.
Safari is about the only app that crashes every now and then, but I have to add the fact that I always close almost all apps in the multitaskbar except for Safari which always stays open.

I have to admit that playing the latest high-res games will be a problem though and animated ebooks will likely be a problem as well. For the rest, it will do just fine.