Reason Rewiring With Live 4.0 Sound Quality Difference Quest

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MechanicalFury

Reason Rewiring With Live 4.0 Sound Quality Difference Quest

Post by MechanicalFury » Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:56 pm

I was told if I wanted to improve the songs I made in Reason to rewire with Live 4.0 and use Live 4.0 effects and resample the loops that are in the song and record them into Live 4.0 or drag them. Some people say resequence them... I was wondering if you made a Reason song could you just resample it into Ableton (with applied effects of course). I was told this would reduce the bit wrapping from Reasons sound engine. My qustion is pretty much because I love sequencing through Reason but to improve the sound quality so I really need to resequence everything into ABleton Live?
-Damian-
-Mechanical Fury-

-=One Weapon Will=-

"No World For The Powerless"

MechanicalFury

Post by MechanicalFury » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:28 pm

Was my question that stupid that I got 20 views and no reesponses?
-Damian-
-Mechanical Fury-

-=One Weapon Will=-

m-laboratories.net

not stupid

Post by m-laboratories.net » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:13 am

I don't think it's a stupid question, I'm just not really qualified to answer.

But I can tell you that people regularly get better results with Reason by mixing down in other programs (though there are plenty of people who will tell you to mix down your Live tracks in another program too).

Resequencing in live wouldn't make any difference, so don't listen to whoever suggested that. Midi data is midi data.

One big advantage you'll have with live is obviously using Waves and other mastering plugs that may improve your sound.

MechanicalFury

Post by MechanicalFury » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:10 am

Thank you so much you know I'm a real idiot in a sense I go to school at SAE and with all this information I forgot the most important thing. LOL anyways I feel better knowing this. The reason being is I love the effects and everything about Live 4.0 but I LOOOOOVE sequecing in Reason its so much easier in my opinon and thats only because I am soooo used to it.... besides Live 4.0 does really allow me to properly place 64 notes and I tend to use those a lot.

Hey man thank you very much I do appreciate you answering my question.
-Damian-
-Mechanical Fury-

-=One Weapon Will=-

Former Pharaoh

Re: Reason Rewiring With Live 4.0 Sound Quality Difference Q

Post by Former Pharaoh » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:13 am

It doesn't matter what you use just as long as you use ANYTHING other than just the Reason engine. Reason's sound quality sux!
There are those that say, "You could do this and that and tweak here and there".....forget it.... VSTs sound great stand alone, and even better with some mastering tools.

MechanicalFury

Post by MechanicalFury » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:44 am

Thats exactly why I asked! Reason's shitty sound engine. As long as I am using Ableton Audio Effects and using it as a multitrack everything is dandy but you have to respect Reason's Sequencing... or once again so used to it.
-Damian-
-Mechanical Fury-

-=One Weapon Will=-

globalgoon

Post by globalgoon » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:42 pm

Live 4.0 does really allow me to properly place 64 notes

you can change the midi grid by pressing "ctrl 1" to make it smaller or "ctrl 2" to make it bigger

when I say ctrl, I mean the button next to the space bar on a PC

Former Pharaoh

Post by Former Pharaoh » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:38 pm

MechanicalFury wrote:Thats exactly why I asked! Reason's shitty sound engine. As long as I am using Ableton Audio Effects and using it as a multitrack everything is dandy but you have to respect Reason's Sequencing... or once again so used to it.

Yeah, Reason has the best sequencer around. At least for me it's quick, easy. I also like how Reason is rock solid. Can't say the same for other DAWs (even though Reason is technically not a DAW-but you get my point).

computo

Post by computo » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:46 pm

I've personally got gripes with reasons sequencer. I think it needs to be more precise...I cant stand only being able to sequence and quantize 64th notes.

But on topic, Live or any other sequencer will work. the combination of reasons engine, with coreaudio (especially through a stereo out) sounds really grimy, and gets very muddled like you mentioned.

I used to use an 828 for performance, and I would route the drums and bass out different outputs, which made a noticable difference.

SO, I think, though reason needs help, that its more about reason working with coreaudio that causes problems...might check the prop boards though.

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:58 pm

I was talking to a buddy of mine who works for Event Electronics about why Reason sounds bad, and he told me that there's a bug in the stereo summing buss that was introduced in version 2 that never got fixed. Apparently, and this is all heresay since I've no way of knowing, Reason sounded fine before version 2. Why the bug has never been fixed (or if it even exists) I don't know. He said it was a phase issue, which from the sound of Reason, makes some sense. He also said that if you run one of the final stereo channels back into Reason and the out again, the phase bug flips it twice, and in effect, fixes itself. I guess Reason sounds huge if you try this. Can anyone confirm?

k

computo

Post by computo » Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:05 pm

that doesnt make much sense to me, could you explain the stereo routing idea better? Where do you route from and to?

Sounds interesting, though...

Rahlo

Post by Rahlo » Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:22 pm

Reason 3 sounds much, much better out of the box than previous versions. I did my own tests in my studio and compared Reason 3 with Live, AudioDesk, and Pro Tools LE. Reason 3 sounds as good as PTLE to me now, and I'd even considered mixing in it (vocals and all) now, especially considering how good the new mastering fx sound.

Whatever gripes one might have or used to have against Reason, the sound isn't one of them anymore. imo.
peace,

rahlo
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rahlo.com

MacBook Pro, Live 8, Reason 4, Akai MPD 32, Akai MPK 49, Akai APC 40, Metric Halo ULN-2 expanded, Apogee Duet.

computo

Post by computo » Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:38 pm

I agree.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:48 pm

I always rewired to Live but the Reason 3 sounds so good that it is not important anymore. I like the way remote works, wish Live had this, I hate wasting time programming everything, in Reason it works fantastic, so decided to complete a tune in Reason only. Without doubt the sequenzer is the worst there is, my respect to anyone who uses it, will surely become audio saint, it is self punishment , probably purififying your soul. Does not matter for Live users anyway

computo

Post by computo » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:11 pm

you are right on there. The sequencer is like a crown of thorns...haha

But as far as not needing Live...you still cant load in VSTs to Reason, so at least for me, Live still has MAJOR uses, not the least of which is audio editting!

and the remote thing is ok, though if you want to get the most out of your controllers, you may want to rewrite the codecs that they have for the remote devices. I rewrote the xsession codec, so that it included FAR more controls than the limited 4 for the combi. I agree the programming can be annoying, but think of it as creating a unique instrument. That was one of the things I loved best about the old reason. It gave you the opportunity to put together your own instrument. It still works, but its a little more under the hood.