New Macbook Pros

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pepezabala

Re: New Macbook Pros

Post by pepezabala » Wed May 16, 2012 6:59 am

well, if it is like that, then I am glad I still have the last version of the MBP. I still sell selfmade CDs on concerts. People still buy them. Not too much, but they do.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed May 16, 2012 7:08 am

Meh, I have a CD player in my van, an optical drive is still a useful thing IMO.
That said for about $20 you can get a fine USB optical drive, and no doubt that there will be firewire to thunderbolt solutions for audio cards.

I love rumors though. The fact is all this could be total bullshit. :lol:

alexjholland

Post by alexjholland » Wed May 16, 2012 9:14 am

Thanks for considering the music producers (some of your core loyalists). Thank you for driving some of them to PC based machines.
It's called economics. You think Apple could care less if Steve Jobs' own familly dislike them dropping CD drives? If the music production 'core loyalists' represent enough value, they'll keep them happy. If they think they'll make more money by releasing the next Macbooks with Hannah Montana vinyl stickers and inflatable wheels - guess what they'll do?

I do smirk everytime someone makes an 'upset core loyalist' remark, as if shareholders got a report on how happy music producers are instead of a report on their stock value.

Ub373NNN

Post by Ub373NNN » Wed May 16, 2012 12:33 pm

i go laugh at the people who go say "oh i no need CD drive no more" but watch as sooner as apple remove "burn playlist to cd" from ITUNES, you same people are gonna need the shoulders to cry over.

johnnyvn

Post by johnnyvn » Wed May 16, 2012 12:42 pm

Normally, I'm from the "thinner is better, even if it means getting rid of the CD-Drive". However, just yesterday, I got my Kontakt 5 update, and I spent an hour or two installing it from, yup, the CD's! So, I guess I'm glad that I still have the CD in my current MBP.

synnack

Post by synnack » Wed May 16, 2012 1:26 pm

Also remember that you can mount a CD drive over a network to your MBP to install stuff. I have multiple computers so as long as one of them have a CD drive I can still install things to any of my MBP that way (Like Adobe CS)
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

Opz

Post by Opz » Wed May 16, 2012 3:59 pm

von haugwitz wrote:I would like to have an SSD instead of an optical Drive .
I never use the optical drive particularly since you can get the osx Main Versions via Download .
You could replace the optical drive with a drive caddy carrying a SSD. Info on how to do that and where to get one is relatively easy to find. Better would be the other way around though as I've read. The old HD in the caddy and the SSD as the main drive in place of the old HD.

Earwax69 wrote:They are also ditching Firewire and Ethernet in the next iteration. (Im not against it actually but it's sad for those of you who use Firewire interfaces/HDV cameras)
Isn't that what Thunderbolt and eventually Light Peak (it's optical variant/original) is designed for? All protocols using a single connection. Maybe it's just a matter of time before we'll see thunderbolt 'hubs' that have FW, USB 3, ethernet etc connections. Just be patient I guess.

What's the use of complaining (not you, just in general) about something that hasn't happened yet? I'm still using my 2006 C2D 3 Gb MBP running Lion and Live 8.3 without any problems.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Wed May 16, 2012 7:30 pm

Opz wrote:Maybe it's just a matter of time before we'll see thunderbolt 'hubs' that have FW, USB 3, ethernet etc connections. Just be patient I guess.
Apple already make one of those... with a built in 27" LED monitor even.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

cpyatak

Post by cpyatak » Wed May 16, 2012 9:26 pm

distaudio wrote:What's a CD?
Oh my goodness. You can't POSSIBLY be suggesting mp3 as a replacement here...

... some of us care about how our audio sounds. Really, why bother with quality recording equipment if we're just gonna dumb it down to something a little better than tape quality...

(There's my smarmy comment for the moment -- but seriously...)

Gotta be honest, I'm a Mac wannabe. I've been saving up, looking at Mac Book Pros for almost a year now, still can't pull the trigger even though they're like crack to a fiend. I don't need a crack habit. But I think I might need a Mac. No! Yes! No! Yes! AGHHH!

I do have to say -- that Samsung looks pretty enticing.

Chris

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Wed May 16, 2012 10:09 pm

cpyatak wrote:
Chris
Umm, there are file formats other than mp3

cpyatak

Post by cpyatak » Wed May 16, 2012 10:25 pm

Da hand wrote:
cpyatak wrote:
Chris
Umm, there are file formats other than mp3
Fair enough. Which widely distributable ones did you have in mind?

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Wed May 16, 2012 10:41 pm

Equivalent to or higher than CD quality: Wav, Aiff, Flac

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Thu May 17, 2012 2:40 am

alexjholland wrote:
Thanks for considering the music producers (some of your core loyalists). Thank you for driving some of them to PC based machines.
It's called economics. You think Apple could care less if Steve Jobs' own familly dislike them dropping CD drives? If the music production 'core loyalists' represent enough value, they'll keep them happy. If they think they'll make more money by releasing the next Macbooks with Hannah Montana vinyl stickers and inflatable wheels - guess what they'll do?

I do smirk everytime someone makes an 'upset core loyalist' remark, as if shareholders got a report on how happy music producers are instead of a report on their stock value.

It's apparent they don't. It's no different in the PC industry.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Thu May 17, 2012 2:43 am

cpyatak wrote:

... some of us care about how our audio sounds. Really, why bother with quality recording equipment if we're just gonna dumb it down to something a little better than tape quality...

(There's my smarmy comment for the moment -- but seriously...)

Gotta be honest, I'm a Mac wannabe. I've been saving up, looking at Mac Book Pros for almost a year now, still can't pull the trigger even though they're like crack to a fiend. I don't need a crack habit. But I think I might need a Mac. No! Yes! No! Yes! AGHHH!

I do have to say -- that Samsung looks pretty enticing.

Chris
I don't need portability and the nice thing about that is I can upgrade a PC for less than half of most laptops. The problem with PC laptops is that they load a lot of crapware.