New Macbook Pros

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
alexjholland

Re: New Macbook Pros

Post by alexjholland » Thu May 17, 2012 10:19 am

kitekrazy wrote:
alexjholland wrote:
Thanks for considering the music producers (some of your core loyalists). Thank you for driving some of them to PC based machines.
It's called economics. You think Apple could care less if Steve Jobs' own familly dislike them dropping CD drives? If the music production 'core loyalists' represent enough value, they'll keep them happy. If they think they'll make more money by releasing the next Macbooks with Hannah Montana vinyl stickers and inflatable wheels - guess what they'll do?

I do smirk everytime someone makes an 'upset core loyalist' remark, as if shareholders got a report on how happy music producers are instead of a report on their stock value.

It's apparent they don't. It's no different in the PC industry.
Exactly. It's like me complaining that my gym doesn't have heavy barbells. Why would they? The vast majority of gym users rock up once a week to go on a crosstrainer (13% of gym memberships are not even used once) and the amount of people seriously committed to training is small.

Bodybuilders use heavy weights that break the floor and - like producers - whinge about equipment constantly. Who would try to attract them, over people happy to pay for a health club membership they don't use?

By the same measure, why would anyone be surprised that Apple aren't nearly as interested in keeping a small percentage of music producers happy - who scrutinise every update and whinge at anything new or different - when they have millions of middle-class office workers, their famillies and students who will obediently buy a Mac because it looks smart and does basic functions; especially when they find out the new model is slimmer and sexier than ever (probably from a broadsheet newspaper rather than a tech blog), along with the entire plethora of associated shiny official accessories - regardless of user reviews.

I'd love to think Apple wanted to keep me happy. But it's as silly to pretend this is the case; as it is to think they could care less if I bought a Dell next time. Deal with it.

Ableton however, are a far smaller company whose entire userbase are music producers by definition - so there is far more sense in throwing weight around here!

cpyatak

Post by cpyatak » Thu May 17, 2012 1:11 pm

Da hand wrote:Equivalent to or higher than CD quality: Wav, Aiff, Flac

Oh good. Glad I misunderstood!
:oops:

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Thu May 17, 2012 1:42 pm

No HDD? How will DJ manage to carry songs now in it? External HDD?

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Thu May 17, 2012 2:39 pm

Depends on what they do with the space. Pretty much the first thing I did when I got my macbook a year and a half ago was take the DVD drive out.

So the question is will you be able to buy one with a 256GB SSD and a 1TB 5400rpm platter drive in? That's what mine has = 1.25TB of storage, some of which is very fast. I don't have all sorts of cables with HDDs etc connected to it all the time solely for this reason! The external DVD makes less junk everywhere! On stage it's just 1 firewire soundcard, and equally I can make music or do whatever I like wherever I am with minimal peripherals. £80 for a superdrive? My bog standard replacement DVD drive didn't cost £80 and that happily burns me the odd DVD or rips a CD when I need it, and it's a lot smaller in my bag to take that than a large external firewire hard drive (A USB HDD won't be as fast as SATA or FW)! Now if you can only get it with a 500GB SSD for loads of money, or a 1TB slow platter drive then they've fucked up.

What I care about is will they lose Firewire now they'll popularise Thunderbolt. I don't want to bin a perfectly good £600 audio interface! Or have to have thunderbolt to firewire adapters. That's what worries me!

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Thu May 17, 2012 2:56 pm

Apple takes one more step towards to fanboys. Not pros. Funny Apple.
What I care about is will they lose Firewire now they'll popularise Thunderbolt. I don't want to bin a perfectly good £600 audio interface! Or have to have thunderbolt to firewire adapters. That's what worries me!
They are going to add USB3.0 as they did in the past USB2.0. Then they abandoned Firewire400. Now, the time to say goodbye to Thunderbolt.

Apple will next try to entice user to buy excessive priced high capacity SSD to reduce market SSD price. If it fails they may restore the HDD slot of their laptop in the future.

Muzik 4 Machines

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Thu May 17, 2012 5:33 pm

no firewire is the deal breaker, i will have to move to windows as i only use firewire soundcards

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Thu May 17, 2012 7:04 pm

.....who need opticals nowadays? 8O
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

chis

Post by chis » Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 pm

simpleton wrote:Not meaning to stir things up but... Samsung ($1400)
3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3615QM processor(Ivy bridge)
8GB DDR3 memory
Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
17.3" LED high-definition display
1TB hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M graphics (2GB DDR5)
2 USB 3.0 and 2 USB 2.0 ports
Bluetooth 4.0 interface
Backlit keyboard
metal case
No expresscard slot is a deal-breaker for some. This is why I'm still using a 15" 2007/2008 MBP.

No optical drive in new MBPs is a typical Apple move, and not a major loss with external drives readily available.

What is more interesting about the new MBPs is that they will, apparently, have retina displays. 2880x1600 res would be nice in 15"!

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Thu May 17, 2012 9:11 pm

$1400! I guess things are cheaper here. In Montreal you can get same spec pc laptops (Toshiba, hp, etc) for around $1000

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Thu May 17, 2012 11:17 pm

pencilrocket wrote: Then they abandoned Firewire400.
Not really since FW800 is all backwards compatible, just a different cheap cable from ebay.

I agree with the SSD thing though PR; There's no way I could afford the storage capacity I have in SSD (1.25TB of SSD????), and in platter drives would be too slow (and you still couldn't buy a single laptop drive that large). The current 256GB of SSD with 1TB of 5400rpm in my Mid-2010 macbook suits me just fine! :mrgreen:

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu May 17, 2012 11:39 pm

OMG, how could apple do this to us?!?!?!

Oh wait, they haven't yet.

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Fri May 18, 2012 9:35 am

lol, but they probably will.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Fri May 18, 2012 11:39 am

Tarekith wrote:OMG, how could apple do this to us?!?!?!

Oh wait, they haven't yet.
I have wrote many times about their i-toy symptom. X-serve, Mac Pro, Cinema Display, FCPX, etc. They are not who ther were once targetting pros.

alexjholland

Post by alexjholland » Fri May 18, 2012 12:01 pm

Their symptom of being very good at designing and marketing products that make them lots and lots of money? Do share your analysis of their 'problems' - I'm sure we'll be compelled.

fedexnman

Post by fedexnman » Fri May 18, 2012 1:41 pm

Slap a couple of Ableton Live stickers on this and no one would know it wasn't a macbook pro !! http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/cont ... me=Gallery