New Macbook Pros

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fedexnman

Re: New Macbook Pros

Post by fedexnman » Sun May 20, 2012 6:56 pm

the_planet wrote:I have an emotional attachment to firewire. I will be sad to see it go.
Is that weird?
When PC laptops and the new intel 2011 socket mobo's get thunderbolt it wont matter , they already have a thunderbolt to firewire adapter out that works . I have an old 2ghz core2 duo macbook (white) with firewire and a diy build i7 920 pc gigabyte mobo with t.i. firewire , so I kinda hate to see it go too .

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Sun May 20, 2012 7:30 pm

the_planet wrote:I have an emotional attachment to firewire. I will be sad to see it go.
Is that weird?
I still think zip disks are cool. No, it's not weird
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Sage

Post by Sage » Mon May 21, 2012 2:21 pm

If Apple were any good at design, they wouldn't need to keep losing features.

jellycaster

Post by jellycaster » Mon May 21, 2012 4:07 pm

Sage wrote:If Apple were any good at design, they wouldn't need to keep losing features.
true, but you don't build a $500bn dollar market cap company by creating a perfect product that never needs to be replaced. you do it by convincing your consumers that the product they are spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on every couple of years is becoming incremently more perfect.

patrick.olson86

Post by patrick.olson86 » Mon May 21, 2012 7:32 pm

^^ very true - and you aren't able to have such convincing marketing without a convincing product to begin with. I think the lesson we all have learned here is that we're just all going to be unhappy with one peripheral or the other. To add some fuel to the fire (wire) - it's on its last breath. USB 3.0 is faster.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Mon May 21, 2012 11:38 pm

Machinesworking wrote:firewire has licensing fees from IBM I believe?
Don't think so... but it used to be you had to pay Apple a dollar per port to call it firewire (their trademark). This is why Sony laptops had i.Link ports... which were firewire ports, except for the name. Some Argue(tm) this is one reason they didn't become standard on PCs which in the end paved the way for USB2... not sure how true that is though.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue May 22, 2012 3:32 am

noisetonepause wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:firewire has licensing fees from IBM I believe?
Don't think so... but it used to be you had to pay Apple a dollar per port to call it firewire (their trademark). This is why Sony laptops had i.Link ports... which were firewire ports, except for the name. Some Argue(tm) this is one reason they didn't become standard on PCs which in the end paved the way for USB2... not sure how true that is though.
Well the wiki says basically that it's .25¢ for the licensing, but it lists a joint venture between IBM, Sony and Apple as the head so it's uncertain whether the money goes to Apple directly. The actual hardware cost a dollar, unlike USB.... Anyway, it's another reason why Thunderbolt and USB 3 will replace it.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue May 22, 2012 3:49 am

Patiently waiting for the new iMacs to be announced myself, think it's time to upgrade the main studio computer to something with Thunderbolt now. Well, waiting for UAD to release the Thunderbolt card for the Apollo too actually.

jellycaster

Post by jellycaster » Tue May 22, 2012 9:08 am

Hi, this has been mentioned before, but just to clarify...
Will there be some thunderbolt / firewire adaptors on the market soon?

I want to upgrade to the new mbp but don't want to retire my apogee duet just yet

patrick.olson86

Post by patrick.olson86 » Tue May 22, 2012 4:19 pm

I'm going with a mac mini when I get my bonus check at the end of the month. Hopefully they'll announce upgrades soon so I don't pay near full price for something that will be out of date within a week.

Mac mini will be awesome. I'll have a thunderbolt port, but I really won't need it with my HD monitor port. It's like a fully customizable iMac but 400 bucks cheaper.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Tue May 22, 2012 5:05 pm

jellycaster wrote:Hi, this has been mentioned before, but just to clarify...
Will there be some thunderbolt / firewire adaptors on the market soon?
http://www.apple.com/displays/ :wink: :roll: 8O :twisted: :D
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

ekwipt

Post by ekwipt » Wed May 23, 2012 3:09 am

patrick.olson86 wrote:I'm going with a mac mini when I get my bonus check at the end of the month. Hopefully they'll announce upgrades soon so I don't pay near full price for something that will be out of date within a week.

Mac mini will be awesome. I'll have a thunderbolt port, but I really won't need it with my HD monitor port. It's like a fully customizable iMac but 400 bucks cheaper.
With laptop parts rather than desktop?

The iMac is faster

luddy

Post by luddy » Wed May 23, 2012 8:49 am

patrick.olson86 wrote:I'm going with a mac mini when I get my bonus check at the end of the month. Hopefully they'll announce upgrades soon so I don't pay near full price for something that will be out of date within a week.
me too, hoping to get a new mac mini for use on stage.
With laptop parts rather than desktop?
you betcha. If I could get something that fast with iphone parts I would do that instead. :lol:

-Luddy