How to que an external input?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
0x80

How to que an external input?

Post by 0x80 » Thu May 17, 2012 3:01 pm

I am using a track with ext in. I would like to monitor it on my que. Something like this:
- leave input at "auto"
- enable solo to listen on my cue
- enable rec to have it on the main out and possibly record.

I can only get it on my cue out if I set input to "in" but then it also goes to the main out :?

Is it possible? Some settings tweaking somewhere maybe? I use it for a setup with a modular synth. I'd like to tweak/check it before I throw it at the main or record it in a clip.

divonic

Re: How to que an external input?

Post by divonic » Thu May 17, 2012 4:29 pm

I'm not totally sure I'm following.

This sounds like a live performance/DJ thing rather than a working in the studio thing.

you have a soundcard with a separate headphone out? (example: your master outs are set to 1/2 and cue outs set to 3/4)

You want to bring in a sound (I don't think the source matters: external audio or internal audio) and listen to it in your headphones without having it come out of the mains?

Then, when you like what you hear, you want to be able to add it to the mix and perhaps record the audio?

Use the mute buttons.
A muted track will not be able to be heard on the main outs but you can cue a muted track.

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Thu May 17, 2012 4:47 pm

0x80 wrote:I can only get it on my cue out if I set input to "in" but then it also goes to the main out :?
Did you mute the track?

synnack

Post by synnack » Thu May 17, 2012 5:27 pm

Da hand wrote:
0x80 wrote:I can only get it on my cue out if I set input to "in" but then it also goes to the main out :?
Did you mute the track?
To Da Hand's point, Cue only says if something gets routed to the output you have set as the Cue output, it doesn't stop it from going to the master out. You have to Cue and Mute.

From 14.6 of the Live Manual:

4. The tracks' Solo switches are now replaced by Cue switches with headphone icons. When a track's Cue switch is pressed, that track's output signal will be heard through the output selected in the Cue Out chooser. Note that the Track Activator switch on the same track still controls whether or not the track is heard at the Master output.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

0x80

Post by 0x80 » Thu May 17, 2012 9:21 pm

Ah yes thanks guys! There's a first time for everything :oops: