Memory Out Error and Crash

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
khartung

Memory Out Error and Crash

Post by khartung » Thu May 17, 2012 4:20 pm

Hello,

I know this topic has been disussed ad nauseum on this forum, and I have read nearly all of the threads. I also found the Ableton page on the topic and followed those tips and I am unable to find a solution. I am using Live 8.8.3 on a Lenovo ThinkPad T60p, Windows XP, with 4GB of RAM. I am using an RME Fireface 400, a Roland GI-20, and Akai APC 40.

I am getting continuous memory out errors that crash Live and it is getting very frustrating to the point to where I am considering getting a differerent DAW.

I have tried opening a new project and importing my tracks from the prior project, one track at a time. No particular track or softsynth or Live effect or synth appear to be the root cause. There is no rhyme or reason to it. In one case, adding a second Live looper in my AUX channel crashed Live. In another instance, adding another VST softsynth to my instrument rack crashed live, all memory out errors.

I have tried changing my PC system settings, with different virtual memory page settings, no paging, system recommended paging, manual paging. Nothing works.

I am not using any audio sound clips, just VSTs and Live effects and synths.

I have only a few tracks:

Guitar audio track with several VSTs, only three of which are on
MIDI synth track with a rack, loaded with 30 or so VST synths, Reaktor synths or Live synths
A bass audio track with 4 VST soft synths
Vocal track with a few effects, none of which are activated.

The memory out crashes occur even if alll my VSTs are turned off, and I simply load one more soft synth VST into my instrument rack.

My CPU in Live never gets above 45%

Any suggestions?

Kris

andydes

Re: Memory Out Error and Crash

Post by andydes » Thu May 17, 2012 5:00 pm

Turning off vsts saves CPU, but they are still loaded and I believe still using ram. What does the task manager say about ram usage? If you don't think you're using too much, maybe you have a busted memory stick or something.

Usually audio is streamed from hard disc and doesn't take up much ram (I think it loads the start of each sample to ram so it's ready to play instantly).

khartung

Post by khartung » Thu May 17, 2012 5:50 pm

andydes wrote:Turning off vsts saves CPU, but they are still loaded and I believe still using ram. What does the task manager say about ram usage? If you don't think you're using too much, maybe you have a busted memory stick or something.

Usually audio is streamed from hard disc and doesn't take up much ram (I think it loads the start of each sample to ram so it's ready to play instantly).
When I launch the project, CPU is 32%, but never goes past 45% when I start playing and activiating things. In terms of memory usage, task manager says Live is using 341,304K, which is not much. The rest of the processes in the list don't use more than 300,000K. So, not even 1G of RAM is being used by everything, out of 4G.

I don't have this issue with any other program on my laptop, which has worked amost flawlessly for 4 years. I use MAX/MSP, Jitter, Reaktor, Mobius looper, Chainer, etc, etc. I have never had any memory problems or errors with these programs. I think this is a Live issue, in the way that the app manages memory. I clearly have enough RAM.

It would be a lot of work, but I may have to build a patch in MAX/MSP to do what I want to do, though it would be a pain in the ass and I don't really have time for this. Or maybe I should try a new DAW? Reaper? Pro Tools?

khartung

Post by khartung » Thu May 17, 2012 6:07 pm

Oh! I forgot to add one important thing. I never get the memory errors while playing or editing. I only get the error and crash when I try to save the project. Weird? Something about the saving operation is causing a spike in memory usage?
khartung wrote:
andydes wrote:Turning off vsts saves CPU, but they are still loaded and I believe still using ram. What does the task manager say about ram usage? If you don't think you're using too much, maybe you have a busted memory stick or something.

When I launch the project, CPU is 32%, but never goes past 45% when I start playing and activiating things. In terms of memory usage, task manager says Live is using 341,304K, which is not much. The rest of the processes in the list don't use more than 300,000K. So, not even 1G of RAM is being used by everything, out of 4G.

I don't have this issue with any other program on my laptop, which has worked amost flawlessly for 4 years. I use MAX/MSP, Jitter, Reaktor, Mobius looper, Chainer, etc, etc. I have never had any memory problems or errors with these programs. I think this is a Live issue, in the way that the app manages memory. I clearly have enough RAM.

It would be a lot of work, but I may have to build a patch in MAX/MSP to do what I want to do, though it would be a pain in the ass and I don't really have time for this. Or maybe I should try a new DAW? Reaper? Pro Tools?

khartung

Post by khartung » Thu May 17, 2012 6:11 pm

Looks like others had the same memory out/crash issue while trying to save, with PC and XP. None of the solutions are really acceptable though.

viewtopic.php?p=900623

khartung

Post by khartung » Fri May 18, 2012 12:31 am

Just posting an update on my progress here. I pulled the Live Looper out of the project and the mmemory errors ahve disappeared. I can now add more soft synths to my tracks, and save as without the memory out error and crash. I'm using the EchoLoop VST now with no problems thus far.

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Fri May 18, 2012 10:26 am

khartung wrote:Just posting an update on my progress here. I pulled the Live Looper out of the project and the mmemory errors ahve disappeared. I can now add more soft synths to my tracks, and save as without the memory out error and crash. I'm using the EchoLoop VST now with no problems thus far.
Have you mentioned this to tech support/crashes? Even if you've fixed it for yourself probably best that they're aware so they can fix it, or at least off this as a solution to anyone else who gets the same.

tintala

Post by tintala » Fri May 18, 2012 3:31 pm

Piplodocus wrote:
khartung wrote:Just posting an update on my progress here. I pulled the Live Looper out of the project and the mmemory errors ahve disappeared. I can now add more soft synths to my tracks, and save as without the memory out error and crash. I'm using the EchoLoop VST now with no problems thus far.
Have you mentioned this to tech support/crashes? Even if you've fixed it for yourself probably best that they're aware so they can fix it, or at least off this as a solution to anyone else who gets the same.
Support doesn't help on this issue, I have emailed them many times without a response. ITs pissing me off..

Khartung if it helps here is a bit of info in a response to my issues.BTW : for me Live crashes on start up and if it happens to launch , trying to save a project it then crashes too , and doesnt save any work.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=180376&p=1403790&hi ... s#p1403790

khartung

Post by khartung » Fri May 18, 2012 7:27 pm

Thanks, Piplodocus. I guess I'll just ride on this for a while and avoid the Live Looper. The EchoLoop and Mobius VST loopers are more powerful anyway, allow external sync, etc, so I'll just use one of those for now.

khartung

Post by khartung » Fri May 18, 2012 7:29 pm

Also, I suspect this could be a systematic or what is referred to as a contention error in software testing. My mac friends don't have this problem. So it could be a result of how Windows XP and Live are interacting.

p8guitar

Post by p8guitar » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:06 pm

khartung wrote:Also, I suspect this could be a systematic or what is referred to as a contention error in software testing. My mac friends don't have this problem. So it could be a result of how Windows XP and Live are interacting.
I'm using a MacBook pro with Mac OS 10.4.7. The more sets I have opened, the more RAM will the next set need that I open. For example I open Set A (1.5 GB), Set B (1.3 GB), Set C (1.8 GB) and then I open Set A again - it will need maybe 1.8 GB instead of 1.5 GB, after that set C will need too much RAM and cannot be opened, Live crashes with an out of memory error.
I have this problem for about 3 weeks now, so it may have to do with the 10.7.4 OS update or with a 3rd party plug-in update, I don't know. I'm forced to restart Live after opening 5 sets to avoid crashes.
Live 12.0.1; Push 2; Mac OS 12.7.4

zigzag

Post by zigzag » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:52 pm

p8guitar wrote:
khartung wrote:Also, I suspect this could be a systematic or what is referred to as a contention error in software testing. My mac friends don't have this problem. So it could be a result of how Windows XP and Live are interacting.
I'm using a MacBook pro with Mac OS 10.4.7. The more sets I have opened, the more RAM will the next set need that I open. For example I open Set A (1.5 GB), Set B (1.3 GB), Set C (1.8 GB) and then I open Set A again - it will need maybe 1.8 GB instead of 1.5 GB, after that set C will need too much RAM and cannot be opened, Live crashes with an out of memory error.
I have this problem for about 3 weeks now, so it may have to do with the 10.7.4 OS update or with a 3rd party plug-in update, I don't know. I'm forced to restart Live after opening 5 sets to avoid crashes.
what you just wrote is not an OS problem. Live does NOT clear all RAM allocated by a project when you close that project. Another feature but they do nothing about it. You have to quit live before opening another project to avoid having this.