Im a noob and i need some advice.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
billz270

Im a noob and i need some advice.

Post by billz270 » Sat May 19, 2012 7:12 pm

Hey there..
Im a noob to ableton live.. been using a limited version and exploring the awesomeness of ableton.
I've been playing around with audio samples and got to making some of my own midi stuff...
what i want to know is how to make my own samples? I used 4 different drum instruments (kick,snare & 2 high hats) and make a 1 bar DnB loop. I want to make this an audio loop.. And i want to create my own samples and all of that.. I've read a lot of blogs and stuff.. Many producers use the word 'chopping' and im not quite sure what that is..

Please enlighten me with a few tips and tricks to get working with live better...

Also i've made some tracks of my own using GarageBand. Please check them out, tell me where i could improve on my sound.
http://soundcloud.com/staybeyond

Cheers ! :wink:

AlexRusin

Re: Im a noob and i need some advice.

Post by AlexRusin » Sat May 19, 2012 7:37 pm

Hmm, I think the best way to do this is to record everything with "Resampling" option on one of the audio tracks. You know what I mean?
I'm caught...

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Sat May 19, 2012 8:22 pm

If they are audio files, resample. If you did the loop with midi using drum rack, use "freeze" and "flatten".
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Sat May 19, 2012 9:05 pm

this is handy too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1r8qoy6 ... re=related

also....say you want a 4 bar loop:

set up 12 bars of it, highlight the middle 4 bars (so the reverbs and fx will wrap/loop properly)

render just that highlighted bit....

+ what has been said

billz270

Post by billz270 » Thu May 24, 2012 6:13 am

Like i said im a total noob to this..
Does resample happen when u play all 4 midi tracks and record it onto an audio track?
+ what is freezing and flattening?

Yesterday i took a 4 bar audio sample and used warp and took the middle 2 bars and made another audio file. and saved it.. but i can't seem to find this file.... where did it go?
Sorry if these questions are frying.... :oops:

andydes

Post by andydes » Thu May 24, 2012 8:15 am

Freezing and flattening aren't available on lite versions. For what you're doing, they would just save you a few mouse clicks though, so no big deal.

The loops should be saved inside the project folder you're working on when you created them.

synnack

Post by synnack » Fri May 25, 2012 3:21 am

billz270 wrote:Like i said im a total noob to this..
Does resample happen when u play all 4 midi tracks and record it onto an audio track?
+ what is freezing and flattening?

Yesterday i took a 4 bar audio sample and used warp and took the middle 2 bars and made another audio file. and saved it.. but i can't seem to find this file.... where did it go?
Sorry if these questions are frying.... :oops:
Open the manual pdf, search for "flatten"
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

seventhirtyfour

Post by seventhirtyfour » Fri May 25, 2012 12:46 pm

To resample, you need to create a new audio track. In the drop down menu where it says "audio from" you need to select resample. Then arm the track.

Now, whatever you record (so...you need to hit record) will be recorded as an audio file in the resample track. So, you'll need to solo whatever you want to be recorded so only that will be recorded.

Also, all the audio files created w/in your live project should be saved in your project folder in a sub-folder called "audio samples" or "samples" or something like that.

Hope this helps.

billz270

Post by billz270 » Sat May 26, 2012 2:09 pm

thanks for the replys..
I got sweet 1,2 & 4 bar audio samples :D

and that audio clip i'd recorded.. i didn't save the project. but clicked on the save button..