Beat The Clock

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
The Landwhale
Posts: 293
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:28 pm
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Beat The Clock

Post by The Landwhale » Thu May 24, 2012 7:18 pm

cpyatak wrote:
The Landwhale wrote:Here's my entry for the contest. If you dig, consider a vote!

The Landwhale - Take Ever
http://contest.ableton.com/tracks/1247

Nice work Landwhale! The bassline and synth alteration stand out nicely and it's just all around a good groove. Cheers!
Thanks! :D :D :D

bartend7
Posts: 453
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:12 am
Contact:

Re: Beat The Clock

Post by bartend7 » Thu May 24, 2012 7:20 pm

cpyatak wrote: Just listened to your track and I like it a lot -- especially the drum breaks and little synth accents you've put in throughout the track. Did you use 3/4 or 6/4 for your Time Signature? Just curious -- sometimes I feel like it could be one, other times the other... or heavy triplet usage? Great track!
its just in 4/4 but with way too much quarter note triplet action on the hats. thanks for the compliment.

I also noticed its much easier to sift through the entries on soundcloud than abletons page. there's a user group for the contest that all entries are automatically signed up for. On this page you can access the songs quicker. Lots of great entries out there, lots of bad ones, but its lots of music, and thats what i like.

cpyatak
Posts: 380
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:44 pm
Location: Vermont

Re: Beat The Clock

Post by cpyatak » Thu May 24, 2012 7:28 pm

bartend7 wrote:
cpyatak wrote: Just listened to your track and I like it a lot -- especially the drum breaks and little synth accents you've put in throughout the track. Did you use 3/4 or 6/4 for your Time Signature? Just curious -- sometimes I feel like it could be one, other times the other... or heavy triplet usage? Great track!
its just in 4/4 but with way too much quarter note triplet action on the hats. thanks for the compliment.

I also noticed its much easier to sift through the entries on soundcloud than abletons page. there's a user group for the contest that all entries are automatically signed up for. On this page you can access the songs quicker. Lots of great entries out there, lots of bad ones, but its lots of music, and thats what i like.
That's a good call, I hadn't seen the group on soundcloud. Does seem like a better way to move through the entries. Thanks for the heads up!

pale1
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:16 am
Location: Copenhagen

Re: Beat The Clock

Post by pale1 » Thu May 24, 2012 7:54 pm

Here is mine
http://contest.ableton.com/tracks/1182

I opted for something completely different and warped the beat to 6/8..Using bits of material from all the different sets.

Your entries are all very good!

Cheers
Macbook
Rme babyface pro
push 2
Genelec 1030A
Analogue gear
Stuff amassed through time

http://www.soundcloud.com/foss
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsEWQB ... smHhob59Xg

arachnaut
Posts: 951
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:58 pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA USA
Contact:

Re: Beat The Clock

Post by arachnaut » Thu May 24, 2012 8:17 pm

cpyatak wrote:... arachnaut, ditto on what syncretia said, can we still listen? ...
http://www.arachnaut.net/audio/Live/2We ... ne-Mix.wav

It's big (96000kz, 32-bit) and mixed at night using headphones, so I don't recommend listening over loudspeakers. It might not stream well at that size/rate, so maybe you need to download it first.

It could be called 'experimental' in genre, nothing else fits (unless you include 'drek').

cpyatak
Posts: 380
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:44 pm
Location: Vermont

Re: Beat The Clock

Post by cpyatak » Thu May 24, 2012 8:21 pm

pale1 wrote:Here is mine
http://contest.ableton.com/tracks/1182

I opted for something completely different and warped the beat to 6/8..Using bits of material from all the different sets.

Your entries are all very good!

Cheers

Nice! Love the 6/8 groove, great work with the snare accents too. Really solid production -- everything gels really nicely here!

needaname
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: Beat The Clock

Post by needaname » Thu May 24, 2012 8:25 pm

The Landwhale wrote:Here's my entry for the contest. If you dig, consider a vote!

The Landwhale - Take Ever
http://contest.ableton.com/tracks/1247
Nice one! =)

needaname
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: Beat The Clock

Post by needaname » Thu May 24, 2012 8:26 pm

pale1 wrote:Here is mine
http://contest.ableton.com/tracks/1182

I opted for something completely different and warped the beat to 6/8..Using bits of material from all the different sets.

Your entries are all very good!

Cheers
Lovely experiment, nice when the bass comes in!

rythmc
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Beat The Clock

Post by rythmc » Fri May 25, 2012 3:55 am

we're allowed to sample any of the sounds in sampler and change the melodies right?

Just making sure or else everything ive done till now is F**ked

Awesome sample pack, this is a blast.

needaname
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: Beat The Clock

Post by needaname » Fri May 25, 2012 2:50 pm

rythmc wrote:we're allowed to sample any of the sounds in sampler and change the melodies right?

Just making sure or else everything ive done till now is F**ked

Awesome sample pack, this is a blast.
Yep I think you've total freedom with them

mrsakitumi
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:16 pm
Location: South Africa

Re: Beat The Clock

Post by mrsakitumi » Fri May 25, 2012 11:16 pm

needaname wrote:
rythmc wrote:we're allowed to sample any of the sounds in sampler and change the melodies right?

Just making sure or else everything ive done till now is F**ked

Awesome sample pack, this is a blast.
Yep I think you've total freedom with them
that's actually what they encouraged beyond just remixing...is to create a new original track.
i basically took some samples from each of the 5 packs, dumped them in drum racks and sampler and played around with the sounds.
was actually a cool process of jamming stuff in a sampler, as opposed to chopping sounds in a timeline.
here is my track (feel okay to post here, as it's a nice thread)

http://contest.ableton.com/tracks/476
...and it's mr sakitumi (too late to change profile name)...damn
LIVE, DS lite, a tambourine, tape recorder.
http://www.soundcloud.com/mrsakitumi
http://www.facebook.com/mrsakitumi
http://www.youtube.com/mrsakitumi
http://www.twitter.com/mrsakitumi

cpyatak
Posts: 380
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:44 pm
Location: Vermont

Re: Beat The Clock

Post by cpyatak » Sat May 26, 2012 2:23 am

mrsakitumi wrote:
needaname wrote:
rythmc wrote:we're allowed to sample any of the sounds in sampler and change the melodies right?

Just making sure or else everything ive done till now is F**ked

Awesome sample pack, this is a blast.
Yep I think you've total freedom with them
that's actually what they encouraged beyond just remixing...is to create a new original track.
i basically took some samples from each of the 5 packs, dumped them in drum racks and sampler and played around with the sounds.
was actually a cool process of jamming stuff in a sampler, as opposed to chopping sounds in a timeline.
here is my track (feel okay to post here, as it's a nice thread)

http://contest.ableton.com/tracks/476
I can't get over this track man. It is SO f&^!ing fun.

2beats
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: Beat The Clock

Post by 2beats » Sat May 26, 2012 6:48 am

cpyatak wrote:
Psychoactive_Music wrote: The Carpet Cleaner: I was wondering about that too -- do we have any rights to the track we make/made?

:)
I contacted ableton with the same question. They said yes you do have the rights to it to give away, sell, and such. They only said it would work with alerted material and nothing that is just the straight samples.

I had a fun time with the contest.I think the whole thing is a little of a debacle but its there first. They will have HUNDREDS of submissions. The main thing that annoys me is they dont say "must be ALL from the sample pack". There are way to many tracks that are 1/2 to only 1/3 made from the samples.
Isaac Cotec aka Subaqueous
Image

horneusz
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:33 pm
Location: Meridian 15
Contact:

Re: Beat The Clock

Post by horneusz » Sat May 26, 2012 9:19 am

Image

http://contest.ableton.com/tracks/140
All samples are from contest pack. No external sources.

2beats
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: Beat The Clock

Post by 2beats » Sat May 26, 2012 7:50 pm

horneusz wrote:Image

http://contest.ableton.com/tracks/140
All samples are from contest pack. No external sources.
Got to say man that is AWESOME! Really well done. Love what you did with the vocals. 5 star production. Seriously.

My track is more in the chill vibes using only 7 samples. http://contest.ableton.com/tracks/1144 I didn't want to share the link at first because there is way to much spam...oh well. Sincerely hope you guys like it.

Isaac
Isaac Cotec aka Subaqueous
Image

Post Reply