Website says . . .

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JeffreyCJohnson

Website says . . .

Post by JeffreyCJohnson » Wed May 23, 2012 4:18 am

I picked up an APC40 and must be missing something.

I seems that the folks who cooked up the layout and internal support for the device didn't have any experience with a live mixing board. I was glad to read in the help that all of the controls can me MIDI mapped. So I assigned the launch matrix to a lot of the functions that are either cumbersome, missing hot keys, or hard to access. The assignments work like a charm, but the buttons still launch clips. Then, when I loaded another set, all the mappings went away. What am I doing wrong?

cotdagoo

Re: Website says . . .

Post by cotdagoo » Thu May 24, 2012 2:20 pm

Midi settings are saved on a per-project level.

Generally what you'll want to do in this situation is map out everything and layout Live as you would like it to be when opening the program or starting a new project. Then go into preferences and save the Default Template - once saved every time you open Live, your midi settings, routings, channel faders, etc.. will be remembered based on this initial template.

JeffreyCJohnson

Post by JeffreyCJohnson » Fri May 25, 2012 4:24 am

cotdagoo wrote:Midi settings are saved on a per-project level.

Generally what you'll want to do in this situation is map out everything and layout Live as you would like it to be when opening the program or starting a new project. Then go into preferences and save the Default Template - once saved every time you open Live, your midi settings, routings, channel faders, etc.. will be remembered based on this initial template.
Thanks for the reply!

I figured that was the case - the same is stated in several places. I've already got 50+ sets of my own, and then there are the tutorials all over the net, user supplied and Ableton supplied projects and products... these sets are rarely saved when taking a gander. I'm curious, how is a user going to know when they buy it, how best to use it?

Grant Carlisle

Post by Grant Carlisle » Fri May 25, 2012 8:23 am

I own both the Apc and the Launchpad. if you think the defult of the Apc is screwed, then you should see how retarded the launchpads defult is. I've had my Apc for about 3 years now. I use it mainly for DJ set. I come from a triditional DJ background. I have mine set up exactly like you would expect a standard DJ mixer to work, it did require a little remaping. I also have some pretty extensive mods done to it now. These mods handle other features such as key comands, a drumrack page, and 3 other user configure pages. What are you trying to do?
Vaio 2.13Ghz I3 + Vaio 2.80/3.50GHz)i7 8 Gigs Ram x2 Windows 7. Samsung 32" LED monitor Ableton8 Suite+Max,Isotonik,OCTPAD NativeKontrol Apc-CL1, APC-40,Launchpad,Maschine,NanoKontrol2,MPK49,LPD8,MPK Mini,,Reason4,Vestax Pmc 25,CDJ 1000mk2X2.