Stereo to Mono

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
birdhouse19

Stereo to Mono

Post by birdhouse19 » Sun May 27, 2012 1:19 pm

If I add the Utility Plugin, preset "Mono" to my track. Does that turn that track into Mono or do I have to adjust the parameters in there to make it mono. It's hard for me to really hear the difference. Im just assuming that since it says its a preset called "Mono" I wont have to adjust it. Any tips here would be great.

divonic

Re: Stereo to Mono

Post by divonic » Sun May 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Yes. It sums the two stereo input channels for that track plays them across both output channels. If you can't hear a difference try this: add a ping pong delay before the mono utility and listen or watch the meters.

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Sun May 27, 2012 1:33 pm

If you can't hear the difference.. what are you trying to do, and why does it matter? ;)

shacoca

Post by shacoca » Sun May 27, 2012 4:09 pm

are you sending the same track to any fx returns? a stereo return might be masking what the Utility device is doing.

birdhouse19

Post by birdhouse19 » Mon May 28, 2012 8:24 am

Im trying to change my kicks and snares to Mono like you're supposed to! I have no returns running back to stereo. Not fimiliar with this function in ableton compared to the other daw's. I read that all tracks in ableton are in stereo by default if im not correct..

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Mon May 28, 2012 3:37 pm

birdhouse19 wrote:Im trying to change my kicks and snares to Mono like you're supposed to! I have no returns running back to stereo. Not fimiliar with this function in ableton compared to the other daw's. I read that all tracks in ableton are in stereo by default if im not correct..
I'm pretty confident your kicks and snares are already mono. Live just handles every sample as a stereo file, which doesn't change the fact that originally mono samples actual output is still mono. This is the reason why utility's mono preset won't make a difference (i.e. your kicks and snares are already in mono and can not be monoed more no matter what).
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

shacoca

Post by shacoca » Mon May 28, 2012 9:52 pm

birdhouse19 wrote:Im trying to change my kicks and snares to Mono like you're supposed to! I have no returns running back to stereo. Not fimiliar with this function in ableton compared to the other daw's. I read that all tracks in ableton are in stereo by default if im not correct..
you might be conflating two different but related concepts.

kicks, snares, etc. are usually "centered" in a mix. folks often refer to this as "mono" (myself included :wink:), which isn't really accurate. it sounds to me as if you're looking to "center" your kicks and snares. in that case, the Utility device won't do that for you. you'll have to work the pan control, use your ears and check the meters to center them up. if you even need to. sounds like your samples are already there.

if you are actually looking to turn your stereo samples to mono, Utility won't do that either. you'd have to use another audio editor, like Audacity, to sum left and right to a single channel. by the way, using mono samples cuts down on disk traffic, helpful if disk overloading is a problem.

Kenny Mac

Post by Kenny Mac » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:36 pm

Just add the utility and take width down to 0%! just like magic your mono, do the same for main snare and sub.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:36 pm

5 years late to the party there champ.