Mac Mini 5th Generation

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hankhones

Mac Mini 5th Generation

Post by hankhones » Tue May 29, 2012 9:10 am

Hi,

does anybody know if a Mac Mini, 5.th Generation (Core2Duo, max. RAM) is working fine for music production (using an external USB audiointerface)?
I am really p**ed about Windows and its non-existing usability, not to mention the instability - so I am going to switch to OSX.

Mainly used is KOMPLETE8 and the Ableton(8)-built-in effects and tools.

Thx in advance,
Hank

JBlongz

Re: Mac Mini 5th Generation

Post by JBlongz » Tue May 29, 2012 1:44 pm

I don't recommend. Get the latest Mac mini server. It comes with a quad core and two drives. The second drive is where you should record and render your music.
rMBP Quad 2.8GHz, 16GB, 1TB SSD | UAD Apollo 8
JBlongz YouTube

JBlongz

Post by JBlongz » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:16 pm

Did you make a decision?
JBlongz YouTube

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:23 pm

mini's CPU are so slow.

JBlongz

Post by JBlongz » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:48 pm

Mac mini server's CPU is a Quad Core i7. More than enough for most production.

Any more then you need this type of system: http://youtu.be/eTHFLHosD-Y
JBlongz YouTube

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:16 pm

JBlongz wrote:Mac mini server's CPU is a Quad Core i7. More than enough for most production.

Any more then you need this type of system: http://youtu.be/eTHFLHosD-Y
no. they are previous version mobile CPU. For that budget, you can get machine equiped ivy bridge's desktop CPU which runs two times faster than it. I told based on speed/cost point of view.

JBlongz

Post by JBlongz » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:20 pm

You are right, it is a mobile cpu...and a faster PC can be built for the same price. Advantage of the macmini is space and simplicity. I guess the OP will decide which is more important.
JBlongz YouTube

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:21 pm

hankhones wrote:Hi,

does anybody know if a Mac Mini, 5.th Generation (Core2Duo, max. RAM) is working fine for music production (using an external USB audiointerface)?
I am really p**ed about Windows and its non-existing usability, not to mention the instability - so I am going to switch to OSX.

Mainly used is KOMPLETE8 and the Ableton(8)-built-in effects and tools.

Thx in advance,
Hank
It's your fault. If you can't even control operation system you won't be able to control daw the way you want. It is far more complicated than turning on the personal computer and keeping it clean.

JBlongz

Post by JBlongz » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:34 pm

No its Microsoft's fault for not making a better user experience. They tried to turn a business system into a personal computer. OSX is personal from the start. Not every one is a computer geek, and some just prefer to dig into the software...just like you shouldn't have to learn plumbing to flush the toilet. Can't blame user for that..its developer fault.
JBlongz YouTube

patrick.olson86

Post by patrick.olson86 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:11 pm

I have a friend who uses an old Mac Mini from 2010 (I think) and runs the latest Pro Tools on it. He multi-track records live performances in his basement and slaps a TON of plugins on tracks when mixing. He's had no slowdown or CPU issues at all.

I'd wait though, a new batch of mini's is right around the corner that will have faster CPUs and better GPUs (incase you want to play DIII like me). I'm guessing the new mini's will have at least an i5 processor which should be plenty fast to handle your production. I'm currently using a 2008 macbook with 2.2 ghz core2 duo. I rarely have issues with my productions.

kenporter

Post by kenporter » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:29 pm

I use the latest Mac Mini Server i7 Quad Core and it's more powerful than my 2.8GHz 8-core Xeon Mac Pro which is powerful enough for all of my music needs. If you like Mac, imho you can't beat the $999 value!

Ken

patrick.olson86

Post by patrick.olson86 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:18 pm

The only problem with the i7 server is the GPU. It uses on-board graphics processing. So if you want to turn your midi keyboard into a controller for your Diablo 3 Wizard.. then you may run into some frame rate issues... It's better to have a dedicated graphics processor for games.

In my opinion. The current mini that is the best is the i5 one for $799 because it has a dedicated GPU. Now, if you don't plan on playing games, the i7 is probably the better choice. Again... new minis are expected to be announced within the next week at the Apple WWDC. I'd wait until we see what they say. You might be able to grab an even better machine for the same price, or less!

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/ ... gn=feature

JBlongz

Post by JBlongz » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:28 pm

I'd expect this to be a music computer, not gaming. So its best to go for the best must option. Quad i7.
JBlongz YouTube

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:54 am

JBlongz wrote:No its Microsoft's fault for not making a better user experience. They tried to turn a business system into a personal computer. OSX is personal from the start. Not every one is a computer geek, and some just prefer to dig into the software...just like you shouldn't have to learn plumbing to flush the toilet. Can't blame user for that..its developer fault.
Yea apple suceeded in making user experience of their OS wonderful retarded way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-3YVQjEMbU

Have fun toying with cheesy odd software in Steve's miniature garden.

JBlongz

Post by JBlongz » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:01 am

A folder icon? 8O Thats what you're concerned about? WTF? This thread is about performance
JBlongz YouTube