Electribe EMX midi clock issue

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Kamla12

Electribe EMX midi clock issue

Post by Kamla12 » Wed May 30, 2012 8:10 am

Hi guys,
I want Ableton live to sync to my Electribe EMX which basically works. Beside the unstable bpm clock (is there a solution for this? can ableton live be forced to only ise whole numbers) which bumps around the Electribe's bpm I have a more frustating problem.

When I press start on the EMX, the bpm in Ableton bumps after half a second to more than 5 bpm over the orginal number. For example, I have the emx set to 120bpm and press start. After half a second I have 125 and then 123. After two seconds the bpm calms down. So when I want to synch a clips to my electribe, it sounds like shit.

I do not think that this problem is related to latency since it only occurs by pressing the start button. Normally, the clock sync works ok.

I am a bit angry since the Electribe, no matter if master or slave, does usually a great when it comes to bpm synch. I had several devices synched to it and it worked flawlessy.

Tagor

Re: Electribe EMX midi clock issue

Post by Tagor » Wed May 30, 2012 8:17 am

depends on the audio-interface, cpu & memory quikness the midi-setup ect...
maybe using an extra midi-clock http://www.s-n-d.com/acme-4/ACME-4_b.jpg could help

Kamla12

Post by Kamla12 » Wed May 30, 2012 8:28 am

Tagor wrote:depends on the audio-interface, cpu & memory quikness the midi-setup ect...
maybe using an extra midi-clock http://www.s-n-d.com/acme-4/ACME-4_b.jpg could help
So also this "bpm jump" is related to thsese things? My PC is quite average, dual core 2,2ghz and 8gb ram. I am using a midi to usb cable and the audio 2 dj interface by Native Instruments which has a low latency.

qbas

Post by qbas » Wed May 30, 2012 8:57 am

Quite normal behavior. If external gear is master clock, then Live have no chance to know earlier what tempo will be received, after a while it is more stable, but still MIDI is not “sample accurate” – it is a reason why you will have changes in tempo on Live side.

Kamla12

Post by Kamla12 » Wed May 30, 2012 9:25 am

qbas wrote:Quite normal behavior. If external gear is master clock, then Live have no chance to know earlier what tempo will be received, after a while it is more stable, but still MIDI is not “sample accurate” – it is a reason why you will have changes in tempo on Live side.
Hm ok, probably I have to deal with it. Is there no option telling ableton to use only whole bpm numbers?