metrical dissonance

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ckluxen

metrical dissonance

Post by ckluxen » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:08 pm

Can someone explain me something about metrical dissonance?
Its not about Polyrythm (binary/triplets), but happens if 3 different rhythms come together and the metric shifts against each other and gives the main metric a kind of interest and you feel different metrics.

Its quiet a lot theory here and I feel whats happening if I hear that, but some examples for further experimentation would be nice,

Here`s an article and I was surprised, that it`s used a lot in EDM:
http://www.mtosmt.org/issues/mto.01.7.6 ... utler.html

Here`s an example

X---X---X---X--- Kick (main metrum)
---X----X------- Closed Hat
----------X----- Open Hat

Got that one from Rick Snowman online video.

Angstrom

Re: metrical dissonance

Post by Angstrom » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:43 pm

Although that article takes a scholarly tone, I think that any instances of "metrical dissonance" in electronic music often arise from technological tweaks. How often have we accidentally run a 7 or 15 step 303 pattern over a 4/4 meter and said "hey that sounds pretty good!" ?
Or, in Live, tried a weird loop length and then moved the start marker around? For me the answer is/was pretty often.

I often naturally write in "unusual" signatures and compound signatures, but in the context of dance music I'd definitely say the sequencer has a large part to play in encouraging us to produce mind bending off-rhythms.

I like the following paragraph though, from the articles references page, which reveals the author as an inveterate pill munching bass-bin hugger.
A brief note about the examples:
The sound files should be listened to at a high volume if possible. This is how they are typically experienced, and some of the sounds involved rely on acoustic resonance to achieve their full effect.
Heh heh heh. If you say so Prof. !
http://www.mtosmt.org/issues/mto.01.7.6 ... _ex1a.html

ckluxen

Post by ckluxen » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:02 pm

hmm..ok so you could define compound signatures as metrical dissonance.

It´s not to easy to understand as I`m not a musician, more a programmer and I`m doing most stuff strictly in 4/4, but some of the stuff of mine I like has some elements against that, theres one that cuts 4/4 Beat in 5, it came fom a Drumloop and seemed to be Quintolen, however...

But Quintolen is something different than 5/4 in a 4/4 Rhythm, confusing.

ctrl.z.jones

Post by ctrl.z.jones » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:33 pm

hu; and I always thought 5/4 meant 5 strokes over 4, what would be 4/4 ...

but maybe i am misleading ...