effect question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
zakary

effect question

Post by zakary » Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:41 pm

Hi everyone,
my question is how to apply an effect to a signle note or a part of an audio file and the effect to carry on being audible without being applied to the rest of the notes?

For example, i have a beat looped "clap snare clap snare" and at some point i'd like to put a 4 sec echo effect on the second clap. Logically i'd like the loop to carry on playing without any effect but to hear the 4 sec echo i applied on the second clap.

I could place that note on a separate track but i'd like to do this in a live mix so i don't know which notes the effect is going to be applied on.

Is this possible in Live ?

thanks in advance

gaspode

Re: effect question

Post by gaspode » Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:59 pm

zakary wrote:Hi everyone,
my question is how to apply an effect to a signle note or a part of an audio file and the effect to carry on being audible without being applied to the rest of the notes?

For example, i have a beat looped "clap snare clap snare" and at some point i'd like to put a 4 sec echo effect on the second clap. Logically i'd like the loop to carry on playing without any effect but to hear the 4 sec echo i applied on the second clap.

I could place that note on a separate track but i'd like to do this in a live mix so i don't know which notes the effect is going to be applied on.

thanks in advance
Make a send track, then in the envelope editing, select mixer and submenu select the send track. draw an envelope that is only "on" for the particular note that you want the effecton. This is good for delay effects. for say a distortion effect or something with a short application, put the effect on the track and then draw the envelope to be on only when you want it to apply to a particular part in your clip

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:00 pm

route your impulse.

route that clap to a seperate audio track and effect that.

this is unless your loop is an audio file.

gaspode

Post by gaspode » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:04 pm

jeskola wrote:route your impulse.

route that clap to a seperate audio track and effect that.

this is unless your loop is an audio file.
That would work if he isn't using a loop. I didn't think about that.

zakary

Re: effect question

Post by zakary » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:18 pm

gaspode wrote:
zakary wrote:Hi everyone,

thanks in advance
Make a send track, then in the envelope editing, select mixer and submenu select the send track. draw an envelope that is only "on" for the particular note that you want the effecton. This is good for delay effects. for say a distortion effect or something with a short application, put the effect on the track and then draw the envelope to be on only when you want it to apply to a particular part in your clip
cheers everyone for your help,
i will try the method with the send track but if i was to do this live and turn on/off with my uc-16 at the point where i want the effect ? and if possible record this automation ?
z

gaspode

Post by gaspode » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:24 pm

Yeah you can record the automation as long as you arm global recording