Tracking a band with shifting time signatures?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Punky921

Tracking a band with shifting time signatures?

Post by Punky921 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:01 pm

Hey guys,

So I'm tracking this band, and they want to record their performances as a full band. But they also want me to go back and nip, tuck, and edit. I figure it'll easier for me to do that if they record to a click. However, some of their songs shift time signature in the middle of the song. How would I account for that when tracking in Ableton, especially if the click needs to alter at a certain moment? Is there some automation I can record? Please let me know. I'm on Suite 7.

Matt_Quinn

Re: Tracking a band with shifting time signatures?

Post by Matt_Quinn » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:24 pm

You can define time signatures in Live (hover the mouse at the top of the arrangement window>'Insert Time Signature').

I like to ask the band for a rough diagram of the such changes so I can be ready ahead of time. You might have to futz with the Tempo at the point of the signature change to get an even transition - I was recording a song for a friend that went from 4/4 to 6/8 in the middle, and the tempo of the 6/8 section had to be raised quite a bit to get the right feel moving from the 4/4 section.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:30 pm

Is the "insert time signature" thing something I can do in advance? Would I have to do it live? Can I automate it so it jumps up or down a certain number of BPM at the shift?

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:36 pm

Punky921 wrote:Is the "insert time signature" thing something I can do in advance? Would I have to do it live? Can I automate it so it jumps up or down a certain number of BPM at the shift?

Yeah, you'd have to do the initial set up in advance. That's why I'd ask them for a rough idea of how the song is structured - 32 bar intro in 4/4 @ X bpm, 16 bar verses in 4/4 @ X bpm, 6/8 Chorus @ X bpm, etc. But once the time signature locators are set up, you can automate the tempo changes so it flows smoothly start to finish.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:06 pm

Awesome. Thank you. I'll give this a shot.

When I ask them this question, they will literally shit their pants. They NEVER think about their songs that way.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:42 pm

^ sounds familiar

"time signature?? what do you mean, help? all you're doing is hitting record and CDs and record sales should just happen automatically dammit!"

or...

"if i had a computer and all this software, i'd have that done by now"

i think you said in another thread (about this same band) something along the lines of... "i'm glad this isn't my full time job". uh huh. :D

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:51 pm

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. The process has been... interesting to say the least.

I could do with about 100% less bickering, and 100% more "Doing whatever the fuck I TELL YOU TO."

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:56 am

My old band had a song that shifted between 3/4, 4/4, and 5/4. I didn't know how to insert time signature changes into the programme I used to record it (or if it could), so I just tracked it to a 1/4 click.
Matt_Quinn wrote:I was recording a song for a friend that went from 4/4 to 6/8 in the middle, and the tempo of the 6/8 section had to be raised quite a bit to get the right feel moving from the 4/4 section.
That probably was the same tempo in a sense, just 4th note triplets so the same distance between the 1 and 3 beats but subdivided into three instead of two.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:25 pm

yeah, I would do what NTP says -> record to a 1/4 click and ignore the bars, then afterwards when every other bastard has gone away find the sig changes, insert them and drag them to position.

In fact I don't tend to use the actual metronome bleep-bloop , I use a custom drum hit sound on a dedicated track because it's easier to alter it for monitoring. Change the sound, etc.