anyone have this problem?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Psychoactive_Music

anyone have this problem?

Post by Psychoactive_Music » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:33 pm

Just a quick question really. Sometimes while working on my music I have an issue with pitch. massive is usually the main culprit. Basically when I play what I have the pitch of the synth changes out of key with everything else for that entire track. sometimes it fixes itself sometimes it dosnt. I try saving it and reopening it or turning off the plugin and back on or even leaving it for a while and coming back to it. but nothing seems to work until it fixes itself at what appears to be a completely random occasion.

Does anyone else encounter this problem, and does anybody have a way to fix it? or is it a known glitch which just has to be put up with? its really frustrating and really disruptive when I have gained momentum in workflow and suddenly one of the channels is of key for what appears to be no reason.

beatmunga

Re: anyone have this problem?

Post by beatmunga » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:53 pm

Does your synth tend to go about a semitone and a half out of tune with the rest by any chance?

If so, it may be to do with sample rates? 48khz when it should be 44.1 or vice versa?

Never had this on Live but it happens in ProTools all the friggin' time.
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

Rinsemeister

Post by Rinsemeister » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:02 pm

Is this before, or after rendering?

As previous poster said it may be that your SR in project is different to your SR on export.

This has reared it's ugly head a few times for me when I was rewiring stuff out of Reason into Live.

Apart from that.............Dunno.

Helpful answer?

:?:

Psychoactive_Music

Post by Psychoactive_Music » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:13 pm

Its when my track is still in midi and not when I'm rendering (although this could be an issue later). I have this problem in the live project I have open right now. it fixed itself since my post, and has once again started doing it again shortly after. Im going to play with my sample rate config in the preferences now and see if it fixes the problem. thanks for the replies guys would like to see this problem buried and I can help people on here in the future if I see a similar thread.

Rinsemeister

Post by Rinsemeister » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:37 pm

Psychoactive_Music wrote:Its when my track is still in midi and not when I'm rendering (although this could be an issue later). I have this problem in the live project I have open right now. it fixed itself since my post, and has once again started doing it again shortly after. Im going to play with my sample rate config in the preferences now and see if it fixes the problem. thanks for the replies guys would like to see this problem buried and I can help people on here in the future if I see a similar thread.
I hope you get some more informed replies because I still haven't totally worked this out for myself.

Maybe something to do with the specific plugin......? :idea:

Psychoactive_Music

Post by Psychoactive_Music » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:44 pm

I have matched the audio interface (pre sonus 22VSL) set to 44100 sample rate and 512 buffer size with the same settings in the hardware set up in lives preferences running asio4all. Unfortunately however, the problem persists and my synth is still out of key despite not being touched. I haven't touched the pitch envelope or anything either. I'm not sure by how many tones the pitch is out by but its boldly noticeable and work cant go on until the pitch 'fixes itself' somehow or I can find a way to make it happen. I appreciate the technology but when a technical problem gets in the way of creativity its not cool.

I hope we can find a solution here too. It's the most likely place to find one. In the meantime I will take a break from making music (until tomorrow) I will hold off google for a while and use it as a last resort as I will probobly only end up on this same forum anyway

Rinsemeister

Post by Rinsemeister » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:29 pm

OK.

Does this happen with the entire MIDI track, or does it only happen at certain times within that track?

Have you checked any automation that you may have written?

Don't forget that session view is different to arrangement......check the "back to arrange" button.....

Good luck. :wink:

Mage2k

Post by Mage2k » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:48 pm

It sounds to me like you may have some kind of free-form modulation happening somewhere, i.e it's not re-triggering on new notes. This is probably even more likely if you're working from presets rather than init patches.

Rinsemeister

Post by Rinsemeister » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:08 am

I will hold off google for a while and use it as a last resort as I will probably only end up on this same forum anyway................

WHY? :x

Psychoactive_Music

Post by Psychoactive_Music » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:32 am

Rinsemeister wrote:I will hold off google for a while and use it as a last resort as I will probably only end up on this same forum anyway................

WHY? :x
oh no I got a mad face :( I tried google before and ended up on forums on threads dated several years ago, in questions not relating to my own problem. after scrolling down anyway and reading just out of interest people would answer with 'use google' so I just didnt want the same thing here or in years from now some poor bugger with pitch problems will google it and end up here with the unanimous answer being 'google it'. I think there are too many variables to formulate a good set of tags for a search engine to 'get' what you mean. of course if we do find a solution here then googling it and ending up on this thread would get you the answer.
Mage2k wrote:It sounds to me like you may have some kind of free-form modulation happening somewhere, i.e it's not re-triggering on new notes. This is probably even more likely if you're working from presets rather than init patches.
I'm using presets but Im using presets I designed myself from an innit patch.
" i.e it's not re-triggering on new notes" the way you describe it here seems accurate because sometimes it starts doing it half way through a clip not just at the beginning. but as soon as it happens it feels like the pitch is locked in its new form no matter what you do or where you play the clip from and no matter how many times, until it mysteriously fixes itself. Is there anything i can do about this 'freeform modulation' perhaps thats something more condensed I can google when I get chance after work.

Rinsemeister wrote:OK.

Does this happen with the entire MIDI track, or does it only happen at certain times within that track?

Have you checked any automation that you may have written?

Don't forget that session view is different to arrangement......check the "back to arrange" button.....

Good luck. :wink:

It starts at a random moment within a midi clip and stays out of key for the entire track

I will check automations tonight but not sure what to look out for? I have not done pitch bend automations though.
and its not the back to arrangement button...

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:45 am

Do you have a hardware control surface of any kind, Psch?

If so, could it be that a pot or slider or something is mapped to oscillator pitch or pitch bend or pitch envelope amount or some other pitch based parameter?

I know that on Reason people have come across problems where a main volume of an instrument will suddenly be right down, usually when working with a surface that has that parameter automapped. Very annoying.

Perhaps try playing a troublesome project with no peripherals attached other than headphones? If it still happens, I'm talking out my arse again.
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

merges

Post by merges » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:05 am

I have the same problem. This has been an ongoing problem with Live, apparently. There are numerous threads (search Google site:ableton.com to find these), and I was unable to find one where Ableton commented on what might be going on.

For me, the problem is with a fresh install of Live 8.3 and with Zebra (at least); it happens without warning or cause. Cutting and pasting the device in place seems to correct it.

trevox

Post by trevox » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:11 am

I've had this in the past with old hardware synths and it always turned out to be some rogue pitch bend modulation recorded by accident. Does it happen in all tracks? Have you made sure the pitch wheel is centered on your plugin?

merges

Post by merges » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:39 am

Definitely not the issue here. No MIDI input on those channels anymore. No automation recorded in the clips.