DSP-Quatro, my new audio/sample editor

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nuxnamon

DSP-Quatro, my new audio/sample editor

Post by nuxnamon » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:30 pm

just stumbled upon this product yesterday after hearing that Bias, Inc. has ceased operations. I gotta say it's probably one of the best finds i've had in a while.. I don't really like reading manuals but just like Ableton, I was able to pick it up fairly quickly and it has a fairly intuitive workflow.. for those like me who used Bias Peak as their editor, you can get this for 1/2 half for the month of June with their crossgrade offer.. just a little fyi..

oslonovski

Re: DSP-Quatro, my new audio/sample editor

Post by oslonovski » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:48 pm

Tried it a couple of times. Found myself wanting to bash my head against the desk every time.
AFE WaveEditor works so much better for me.

Opz

Post by Opz » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:08 pm

Looked into it, but bought Wavelab instead :) (for an educational discount)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:18 am

Well kudos to the dissenters for mentioning the other two great audio editors on OSX, but I agree with you nuxnamon, DSPQ reminds me of Spark which was my personal favorite editor on OS9. It's a small thing but layers never stuck with me as far as Wave Editor was concerned and I'm not going to pay $400 for a two track editor so DSPQ is right in the sweet spot. The developer is really cool too.

Opz

Post by Opz » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:14 pm

Machinesworking wrote:Well kudos to the dissenters for mentioning the other two great audio editors on OSX, but I agree with you nuxnamon, DSPQ reminds me of Spark which was my personal favorite editor on OS9. It's a small thing but layers never stuck with me as far as Wave Editor was concerned and I'm not going to pay $400 for a two track editor so DSPQ is right in the sweet spot. The developer is really cool too.
My choice for Wavelab comes from the fact that I always used that one on Windows. I'll be honest and admit I was using cracked software at that time because I just didn't have the cash to buy it nor did I have educational discount like I do now. But I was really used to it.
Then a couple of years later I saved up my money and bought a Mac and from that moment on I've always bought my software as one is supposed to do. In my case, when I switched from Windows to OSX Steinberg didn't make Wavelab for Mac yet. The main audio editor was Bias Peak but I felt that thing was way too expensive and didn't like the interface. So eventually I found both DSP Quattro and Wave Editor. I demo-ed Wave Editor but really disliked the interface due to all the seperate windows and the whole layers thing. And during that period DSP Quattro looked like it hadn't been updated in 'forever', so I had bad feelings about buying a product that maybe was about to go 'discontinued'. But still, it looked like it was a very good contender. Then I found the freeware Audacity. Because I was getting used to the fact of not having a decent audio editor for OSX my ways of working kind of changed as most stuff I did before in Wavelab could be done in a basic manner in Live, like sampling and trimming the sampled audio etc etc. I used to sample from movies etc. So Audacity was kind of enough for what I wanted to do in an editor and stuck with that for while. As time went by and my salary increased etc and I was able to afford more and more software without having to save money for long periods. At a certain point it was announced that Steinberg would be bringing Wavelab to the Mac, but it actually took quite a bit of time before that actually happened. When it did, I simply bought it with a 50% educational discount just so I could have the thing which I really liked in the past. Nowadays I don't use it the same as before, now I'm doing things like audio restoration and soon I'll use it to build and master albums for people whose EP's and albums tracks I'm mixing. And in Wavelab's Audio Montage you can have more than two tracks.