Will ram help CPU...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
theviewer1985

Will ram help CPU...

Post by theviewer1985 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:24 pm

Hey guys

So i searched for this, but it always seems to return contradictory answers. It also seems to be different for each case.

I use ableton 8. I use 100% software. I tend to have 10+ 3rd party VST synths and LOADS of 3rd party FX for each tune. I also use tons of samples/loops that get pulled off the hard drive. I can very nearly complete a tune without hitting 100% CPU within ableton so i dont think i need a big spec improvement.

I guess its important to say that although ableton CPU is 100% ... my actual CPU in task manager is like 30%.

I have a quad core, 6gb ram laptop and it would be very easy to upgrade to 8gb ram. WOuld that be benificial?

PS. just to keep this thread on topic, i do know about all the techniques to save CPU (send/returns, freezing tracks etc)

H20nly

Re: Will ram help CPU...

Post by H20nly » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:39 pm

it would be beneficial for your operating system and it might help relieve some CPU load from your other VSTs and such, but it will not help Ableton Live directly. until Live is 64 bit it will not [directly] benefit from systems running any more RAM than you already have. Live can only use 4GB of RAM, you have 6.

that said, more resources is more better and more RAM is more better... spreading the load from the VSTs is good... one could probably argue a lot depending on which VSTs you use too. some are coded better than others and some are just RAM piggies plain and simple. so this could help Live a little [indirectly].

theviewer1985

Post by theviewer1985 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:47 pm

H20nly wrote:it would be beneficial for your operating system and it might help relieve some CPU load from your other VSTs and such, but it will not help Ableton Live directly. until Live is 64 bit it will not [directly] benefit from systems running any more RAM than you already have. Live can only use 4GB of RAM, you have 6.

that said, more resources is more better and more RAM is more better... spreading the load from the VSTs is good... one could probably argue a lot depending on which VSTs you use too. some are coded better than others and some are just RAM piggies plain and simple. so this could help Live a little [indirectly].
Thanks!

This may be a ditsy moment on my part, but if Ableton cant utilize any more then 4gb, then how would getting more RAM help the VST load?

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:08 am

theviewer1985 wrote:
H20nly wrote:it would be beneficial for your operating system and it might help relieve some CPU load from your other VSTs and such, but it will not help Ableton Live directly. until Live is 64 bit it will not [directly] benefit from systems running any more RAM than you already have. Live can only use 4GB of RAM, you have 6.

Thanks!

This may be a ditsy moment on my part, but if Ableton cant utilize any more then 4gb, then how would getting more RAM help the VST load?
Well, it want. ..nice topic btw. /whiledrinkandsurfing

invol

Post by invol » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:00 am

Remember, your OS also needs RAM, as do other apps. So on OS X, having more than 4 GB of RAM is useful. That said, you should check and see how much is really being used. I run a freebie called MenuMeters, that shows the Used/Free amount at all times.

Also, modern OS use virtual memory cache files on your hard drive - boot drive/partition - so making sure you have enough free space( at least 10-15% of total capacity minimum) and a fast drive will help too in the Memory / RAM relate areas.

Cheers,
Brian

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:23 pm

theviewer1985 wrote:

Thanks!

because Ableton Live can use what it wants (or what it can handle)... and there will still be a pool to pull from... so VST A uses 1 gig, VST 2 uses 500 MB, VST 3 Uses 250 MB... and so on, some RAM for the OS, etc. there is more RAM to go around so each application running can actually USE the RAM instead of fighting over it - which would just slurp up more juice from your CPU. More resources mean you have some to spare... computers like that.

the short answer is - 3rd party VSTs use their own portion of the available RAM. if all you run is Ableton instruments, then getting more RAM will not help your situation at all.