how do i clear the "open recent" tab

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
fishmonkey

Re: how do i clear the "open recent" tab

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:21 am

Mac OS X has a very good search function, however system-related files are also hidden by default in that as well.

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:07 pm

fishmonkey wrote:Mac OS X has a very good search function, however system-related files are also hidden by default in that as well.
Doesn't sound very good then.
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:55 pm

searched a while in windows 7...no stash of .cfg's to be found in prefs, ableton,docs, library, C:

where the fudge is it?

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:10 pm

simmerdown wrote:searched a while in windows 7...no stash of .cfg's to be found in prefs, ableton,docs, library, C:

where the fudge is it?
Funny, I found it under a minute. Just search "preferences.cfg". It's found at:
C:\Users\YOURCOMPUTERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live 8.2.7\Preferences (should work on 8.3 also). Just replace your computer's name after the Users\.
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:09 pm

must be a different path for me, i have no appdata in username

my only appdata folder is in C, has roaming but no ableton folder in there

searching thoughout all folders mentioned for .cfg files....nada

invol

Post by invol » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:45 pm

Yes, but Apple made it so system files don't show up anymore in searches with OS 10.6. You need to use something like MKD Socks....

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:32 am

invol wrote:Yes, but Apple made it so system files don't show up anymore in searches with OS 10.6. You need to use something like MKD Socks....
no you don't, if you open up a full Spotlight search window and click on the the plus sign in the search bar and then click the "Kind" button you can select from a big list of extra flags. check the "System Files" one to have system-related files show up too.

invol

Post by invol » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:45 am

fishmonkey wrote:
invol wrote:Yes, but Apple made it so system files don't show up anymore in searches with OS 10.6. You need to use something like MKD Socks....
no you don't, if you open up a full Spotlight search window and click on the the plus sign in the search bar and then click the "Kind" button you can select from a big list of extra flags. check the "System Files" one to have system-related files show up too.
I just looked again, and you are right, but they moved the option. You don't find it under "Kind", you have to select "Other", and then you get the list to select from... And you have to use "Find" from the Finder, not via a Spotlight search.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:47 am

invol wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:
I just looked again, and you are right, but they moved the option. You don't find it under "Kind", you have to select "Other", and then you get the list to select from... And you have to use "Find" from the Finder, not via a Spotlight search.
"Find" is a full Spotlight search. once you've turned any extra "Other" options on, they also appear in the "Kind" list.

invol

Post by invol » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:53 am

fishmonkey wrote:
invol wrote: I just looked again, and you are right, but they moved the option. You don't find it under "Kind", you have to select "Other", and then you get the list to select from... And you have to use "Find" from the Finder, not via a Spotlight search.
"Find" is a full Spotlight search. once you've turned any extra "Other" options on, they also appear in the "Kind" list.
I just noticed that too. Cool. Thanks. I spent a lot of time searching online for info on this when Apple changed it, and couldn't find anything other than third party utilities or Terminal tutorials. You should do a blog post about this, a lot of people are pissed at Apple about how they changed System File searches, and the solution is pretty straight forward.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:20 am

there's an Apple doc on it here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4355

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:14 am

simmerdown wrote:must be a different path for me, i have no appdata in username

my only appdata folder is in C, has roaming but no ableton folder in there

searching thoughout all folders mentioned for .cfg files....nada

Appdata is a hidden folder. You can only access it by typing the address directly to explorer or using the search.