Apple @ WWDC 2012 new product line up announcements!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Muzik 4 Machines

Re: Apple @ WWDC 2012 new product line up announcements!

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:20 am

William wrote:
Muzik 4 Machines wrote:im getting the new old MBP with anti glare and will remove the cd upon arrival for another 1tb 7200 rpm drive
I just got a refurb 2011 direct from apple today. I'm def gonna go with a 1tb in place of the cd drive, but i can't decide whether to upgrade the system drive to 7200 rpm or not.

What are you planning to do with the system drive?
put 3 os on it (actually just 2 but twice OSX, 1 for day to day, 1 exclusively for live, and 1 win XP(bootcamped/paralleled)to use soundforge)

i just like having 7200 rpm drives (next one will get all SSD but for now aple is way too expensive)
the second drive will be the data drive as it is on my current machine, samples/sessions on the go/FCP scratch/etc

Earwax69

Post by Earwax69 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:50 am

Problem is, until proven otherwise, the new retina display still only have a 1440x900 workspace. You might be able to zoom out but it will be scaled and you will notice a loss of quality.

Notice how the icons are huge on the picture? And no anti-glare option?? It's not 2006 anymore.

Most PC 15incher have 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 resolutions.

I would wait a bit before buying it. In few days or weeks, people are going to review it.

synnack

Post by synnack » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:43 am

Muzik 4 Machines wrote:im getting the new old MBP with anti glare and will remove the cd upon arrival for another 1tb 7200 rpm drive
That's a pretty great idea. However I will be one of the first dumbasses to get the nextgen MBP because that's just how i roll.

As soon as they are on amazon i'm hitting buy (i have credits there to spend).
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:26 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:yeah the bump of drive space is exspensive. Yet ideally I would go for the 512 for all apps, get and external USB3 or Thunderbolt external.
mm, have fun daisychaining all your devices via several powered usb hubs and pray that they work properly. heh.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:33 pm

Earwax69 wrote:Problem is, until proven otherwise, the new retina display still only have a 1440x900 workspace.
A guy I work with was at WWDC, we were talking about this. He said it's generally an easy fix for developers, compensating the change of resolution. So yeah, waiting a few weeks is wise. Evedently Adobe and Autodesk are already on it.
friend_kami wrote:mm, have fun daisychaining all your devices via several powered usb hubs and pray that they work properly. heh.
currently I only have 1 hub, and I lean more optimist than pessimist. Things just seem to feel better that way :wink:

piZMo

Post by piZMo » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:54 pm

Szuumm wrote:No quadcore 13" :(
my sentiments exactly, and only supporting 8gb memory, no option for anti-glare screen, or 7200rpm hard drive. a bit disappointed.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:13 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:
Earwax69 wrote:Problem is, until proven otherwise, the new retina display still only have a 1440x900 workspace.
A guy I work with was at WWDC, we were talking about this. He said it's generally an easy fix for developers, compensating the change of resolution. So yeah, waiting a few weeks is wise. Evedently Adobe and Autodesk are already on it.
friend_kami wrote:mm, have fun daisychaining all your devices via several powered usb hubs and pray that they work properly. heh.
currently I only have 1 hub, and I lean more optimist than pessimist. Things just seem to feel better that way :wink:
i have 6 usb devices tha ti need connected at all times and depending on what i do i might end up with 9 devices.
say what you want about the attempt to standardize USB but the reason behind releasing something with USB only is just.. AAARGH!

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:24 pm

kami, it just seems nothing works out for you.

You make cool tunes though.

barstu

Post by barstu » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:02 am

May be a daft question but do you think it will be stable running a firewire audio interface through the thunderbolt to firewire adaptor (when it's released), presumably there is something in there that has to convert the protocols, would this add latency?

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:07 am

barstu wrote:May be a daft question but do you think it will be stable running a firewire audio interface through the thunderbolt to firewire adaptor (when it's released), presumably there is something in there that has to convert the protocols, would this add latency?
thunderbolt is so much faster than firewire that the added latency would be almost zero, a super super tiny cpu hit maybe, doubtful though.

masterblasterofdisaster

Post by masterblasterofdisaster » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:46 am

JuanSOLO wrote:
A developer buddy of mine groaned when he saw the screen res. He's not looking forward to having to redo everything.
I mostly do backend programming, as interface stuff is tedious and somewhat agonizing to me... I reckon it depends on the situation at hand.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:11 pm

masterblasterofdisaster wrote:
JuanSOLO wrote:
A developer buddy of mine groaned when he saw the screen res. He's not looking forward to having to redo everything.
I mostly do backend programming, as interface stuff is tedious and somewhat agonizing to me... I reckon it depends on the situation at hand.
I think the thing masterblasterofdisaster said is true. To modify UI is hard task. It can be easily the causes of crash.

Ub373NNN

Post by Ub373NNN » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:42 pm

here picture on my friends at wwdc

needaname

Post by needaname » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:51 pm

Just if you want to know:
Bought the new Air yesterday, the base model (11" 4gb 1.7ghz 64gb hd).
Launched Live, duplicated the "Bass" track from the demo song 5 times, added around 20/30/40 Live audio effects to each audio track - got 57% CPU load max.
No noise from the fan - totally silent, and the Mac wasn't hot.

So if you want to use it for AUDIO + Live effects based sets, it works perfectly. I'll try to use it with Reaktor too soon.

think2x

Will Ableton look like garbage on the new MBP Retina display

Post by think2x » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:48 pm

Anyone snag one of these yet? If so, can you take a full-res screenshot with Ableton on screen?

This part of the engadget review really scared me:
The primary Apple apps -- Safari, Mail, the address book, etc. -- have all been tweaked to make use of all these wonderful pixels. Sadly, little else has. While we got assurances that third-party apps like Adobe Photoshop and AutoCAD are in the process of being refined, right now, seemingly every third-party app on the Mac looks terrible.

Yes, terrible. Unlike a PC, where getting a higher-res display just means tinier buttons to click on, here OS X is actively scaling things up so that they maintain their size. This means that non-optimized apps, which would otherwise be displayed as tiny things, instead are displayed in their normal physical dimensions with blurry, muddy edges.

So will Ableton look like a blurry POS until they update it? How long will that take? I mean, we all know the reputation Ableton has for bringing timely updates...

Side note: Though it is delightfully simple in a certain respect, I hope they overhaul the GUI and give it a bit more of a modern, lively feel as opposed to the cold, dead, lifeless feel it has now, whenever they release Live 9.