Hey guy, A beginners question for Music producers.

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
muskaanarbina

Hey guy, A beginners question for Music producers.

Post by muskaanarbina » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:20 pm

Hi,

I have been using live to produce music. I am quite comfortable with ableton live now and know how to use it. But i have a question, which might sound foolish (please don't laugh). The fact is I am not very knowledgeable about the different sounds and music components in a track.
I need to have a detailed study about:
1) Bassline and what it is
2) Synthesizers or synths and what it is and is it compulsory for a music track?
3) what are stabs? are they necessary too? :roll:
4) Chords. :oops:

Please help me out with this guys, I have a very strong passion for music production and remixing but a number of problems keep arising. Thanks in advance :)

Ub373NNN

Re: Hey guy, A beginners question for Music producers.

Post by Ub373NNN » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:23 pm

muskaanarbina wrote:Hi,

I have been using live to produce music. I am quite comfortable with ableton live now and know how to use it. But i have a question, which might sound foolish (please don't laugh). The fact is I am not very knowledgeable about the different sounds and music components in a track.
2) Synthesizers or synths and what it is and is it compulsory for a music track?

Please help me out with this guys, I have a very strong passion for music production and remixing but a number of problems keep arising. Thanks in advance :)
3) google oj.

muskaanarbina

Post by muskaanarbina » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:38 pm

Ub373NNN wrote:

3) google oj.
It would be better if you could provide direct links to pages. Google seems to have pages which do not give a detailed understanding about this stuff, hence i posted here.

Ub373NNN

Post by Ub373NNN » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:40 pm

muskaanarbina wrote: It would be better if you could provide direct links to pages. Google seems to have pages which do not give a detailed understanding about this stuff, hence i posted here.
better on yet, go to ask SIRI.

muskaanarbina

Post by muskaanarbina » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:43 am

Huff,
Can somebody help me out with this?

[jas]

Post by [jas] » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:04 am

Hey,

I'd suggest starting with these tutorials, playing around with Live, and coming back with really focused questions when you get stuck:

http://www.beatportal.com/feed/item/lik ... synthesis/

This will get you started with all the basics: What is synthesis, what are envelopes, what is modulation, etc.

Best,
-jack

Psychoactive_Music

Post by Psychoactive_Music » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:20 am

Well everybody will have a different opinion on how they interpret some of these aspects there is no right or wrong.So I'll just say what I think hopefully it helps

1. I would say bassline is a melody in the lower register, the foundations of a track. it must sit perfectly with the drums. a bassline is more about swing, rhythm and groove then anything else. personally I split my bass lines into 3 parts. Make my bassline, duplicate it and rename the channels low bass and high bass. then EQ and multiband compress to get the best.Sometimes I make a sub which is barely audible which gives the bass the right feel on big speakers you can feel it rather then hear it.

2. nothing it compulsory. in electronic music a synth is generally used for melody in the higher register.You can choose your wave form (sine, square, triangle, saw ect)as the basis for your sound and alter it further to get the sound you want using filters and fx. you can create rises with white noise and automate filtersweeps to give you that woooosh you might here on build ups.

3. stabs are notes or chords with an envelope with a quick attack and low sustain. lots of reverb. its a quick loud synth sound with a tail.

4. chords are generally used to add power to choruses, or to have sidechained to give a pumping effect. chord sequences can be a hook or can complement the melody

I hope this helps, this is very general though maybe others here can give they're interpretation ?

If you could spare a few seconds to help a me out please listen to my remix and if you like it vote for me! :)
(temper trap remix contest)

http://www.indabamusic.com/opportunitie ... ons/112088

I have used a lot of concepts I mentioned in my reply. Its not perfect but i'm somewhat a beginner too :D I hope this isnt cheeky but it seems like nobody hears what I do, have to think of strange ways to get myself heard :oops: