MOTU Ultralite - outputs in Live don't match the interface

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
randallp

MOTU Ultralite - outputs in Live don't match the interface

Post by randallp » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:07 pm

When I assign a track's audio to a Live output 1/2 it plays from the interface's Stereo Mains.

When I assign another track's audio to Live output 3/4 it plays from the interface's 1/2 outputs.

I'm guessing that's just the way it will be? A little confusing but I presume that Live just sees all the outputs (including the main L/R Mains) and numbers them sequentially?

I'd appreciate verification of this so I can start getting used to the offset if so!
http://www.iam-pcr.com
Live 9, Push, MountainLion

UltimateOutsider

Re: MOTU Ultralite - outputs in Live don't match the interface

Post by UltimateOutsider » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:35 pm

I don't have my UltraLite here to check, but I think it's true that the Live input/output number assignments won't necessarily map to the names/numbers exposed in your interface's configuration software. I reckon it varies by interface.

But you should make sure your ports are set up right in the MOTU control panel (which you can get to from Options > Preferences > Audio > Hardware Setup). It's possible to map multiple audio channels to the same physical ports and vice versa- for example, I have the headphone port set to monitor the main outs, so you'll want to check there first to make sure the interface is configured like you expect.

Next, you indicate which Live inputs and outputs map to your interface's ports in Options > Preferences > Audio > Input Config and Output Config. What you see in these screens depends on what you configured in the MOTU control panel.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:41 pm

Not 100% sure, but i guess that's the way it is supposed to work.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

batwings

Post by batwings » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:55 pm

Hi all, I have a related-ish issue.

I'm struggling to get my Motu's outputs to work through Ableton (I can only utilize the Main outs and monitoring through phones for whatever reason). When I set up additional outputs in Ableton, plug patches out to speakers, and enable on an Ableton track (e.g. having the Main be the source for the output, selecting one of the setup Output channels to be the Out), I can see that channel is getting signal, but nothing comes out. Any tips? Thanks in advance of any insight...

randrohe

Post by randrohe » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:19 am

yeah that is the deal w/ the ultralite.. The mains are seen as 1 and 2 and the rest are sequentially bumped..

batwings

Post by batwings » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:09 pm

Yep, I didn't realize this topic was actually my problem. All set now and thanks folks...

synnack

Post by synnack » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:54 pm

My setup was like this when I first got my ultralite. Then they did a driver update that fixed it. Using the latest driver? Mine was off like that but no longer is with latest firmware and driver.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:00 am

Pretty much the same as my 828mk3. Or you can make Main Out 1/2 mirror output 1/2 then they both be 1/2. They all move arpund depending what settings you have in your MOTU audio setup applet.

Live REALLY needs to support coreaudio port naming. Here's me another day swearing at Live for keeping veiled from me which f***ing I/O I'm trying to use. This post might explain things? Or not! viewtopic.php?f=1&t=166125&hilit=coreaudio+names