MP3 "...may be corrupt or not licensed"

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
philBass

Re: MP3 "...may be corrupt or not licensed"

Post by philBass » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:31 pm

H20nly wrote:could it be that they're not licensed?
No. I've had a legit license since Live 4.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:23 pm

philBass wrote:
not Live. the mp3 files.

digital rights.

some downloads can only be played on iTunes, Windows Media player, Amazon Cloud player etc.

philBass

Post by philBass » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:00 pm

H20nly wrote:
philBass wrote:
not Live. the mp3 files.

digital rights.

some downloads can only be played on iTunes, Windows Media player, Amazon Cloud player etc.
The files were not downloads. They were created by a musical collaborator of mine on his PC. Original material that we created and own.

timcheckley

Post by timcheckley » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:17 pm

Why don't you try converting it to an AIF or WAV in iTunes and importing that?

At least that way you'll know if the problem is with Ableton or with the mp3

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:03 am

@ philBass - got it.

i agree with timcheckley... that could be a good test.

also, i doubt this is an option in iTunes, but i remember having some weirdness with files a few years back exporting drums from FL Studio to Live... i exported as .ogg and found my new favorite file type that day.

mp3 is a lossy format, i know this doesn't solve your immediate problem, but maybe there is something superior that you could work with and still not take the LARGE file size hit like you do with .wav

good luck!

philBass

Post by philBass » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:06 pm

timcheckley wrote:Why don't you try converting it to an AIF or WAV in iTunes and importing that?

At least that way you'll know if the problem is with Ableton or with the mp3
Tried this but the options to export as a new format in iTunes are grayed out. The MP3s play just fine in iTunes so I don't think they're corrupt. It's either licensing or a Quicktime issue.

philBass

Post by philBass » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:08 pm

I solved the immediate problem by getting .wav files from my collaborator. I think I'll get Mountain Lion when it comes out and install Live 8.3.1 and see if that fixes it. Thanks for all the suggestions. :D

cinthesizer

Post by cinthesizer » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:15 am

I know this is a few years too late, but figured I'd reply as I was having this same problem and just had a buddy help me out with it.

I was having this issue specifically with audio files I bounced out from Logic--- I tried converting them to .wav , .mp3 , and .aiff thinking that was the problem.

Turns out, Live was rejecting them as "corrupt or not licensed" because these audio files were bounced out in surround. Woops. Too many channels. Perhaps this was the problem, maybe not-- but this took me a few days of frustration so might as well post.

Hope this helps!

audiomonks

Post by audiomonks » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:07 pm

I know this post is a little old but I was having same problem and I fixed my issue. Same error code. I am on Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard. In Live 9 Preferences under File/Folder and in Decoding Cache section my "Minimum Free Space" was set to 500GB. My iTunes library is on an external that had 90GB free. I set "Minimum Free Space" to 10GB and mp3's will now import! I changed it back to 100GB and they again would not. This solved the issue for me though unsure if having a 10GB "Minimum Free Space" will fuck me at some point or not.

- Jerami

:mrgreen: Warning: Self Promotion :mrgreen:
Playground OUT NOW FREE DOWNLOAD!
http://www.facebook.com/rhetri

L91

Post by L91 » Tue May 03, 2016 8:31 pm

It's because of bad ID3 tags... Open it up with mp3tag and see for yourself..

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Thu May 05, 2016 12:30 pm

For people reading this FROM THE FUTURE, do not install Quicktime for Windows: http://blog.trendmicro.com/urgent-call- ... ows-today/

mikkel_zen

Post by mikkel_zen » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:22 pm

I just had this problem. And figured it out, by the help of this thread.

My cache settings in abletons preferences was set to 10 GB, and I only had 6 GB free on my computer. Still, my cache was empty.
After I changed the cache size to 5 GB and restarted ableton, I coud drag mp3 files in with no problems.

Solution: Make sure your cache size is smaller than the amount of free space on your computer. At least this worked for me.

Also I'm on windows 7, with latest QuickTime installed.

Edit: After reading the post above regarding QuickTime on windows, I uninstalled it.
But I can still drag and drop mp3 files on to ableton. I have no idea why it's still possible. Maybe because I have installed VLC, MPC-HC, Winamp, Windows Media Player, iTunes, Adobe Premiere and other media file related programs? I don't know.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:20 pm

mikkel_zen wrote: Solution: Make sure your cache size is smaller than the amount of free space on your computer. At least this worked for me.
I just would like to point out that any disk should have 10-20% free space at minimum at all times. At least if you want the best performance from the disk. SSDs can be a somewhat better with little space, but it's still a good rule of thumb.
Make some music!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:42 am

Stromkraft wrote:
mikkel_zen wrote: Solution: Make sure your cache size is smaller than the amount of free space on your computer. At least this worked for me.
I just would like to point out that any disk should have 10-20% free space at minimum at all times. At least if you want the best performance from the disk. SSDs can be a somewhat better with little space, but it's still a good rule of thumb.
truth.

you should start planning an update or a serious cleanup project real soon.

Auditory-Dyslexia

Post by Auditory-Dyslexia » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:26 pm

I am having the same issue as previously stated, however my issue is with a .m4a from my iphone. I recorded a few noises and wanted to allow them to play through ableton in a loop before my gig in order to soundcheck my laptop. I will try the methods mentioned above and hope it works! 8)