Cant Change the Sample Rate

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Darkstar2010

Cant Change the Sample Rate

Post by Darkstar2010 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:42 pm

I can't change the sample rate in the audio preferences for some reason. There isn't a drop down menu like there used to be. It's just permanently locked at 48000. Does anyone know how I can fix it so I can change it again?

chrk

Re: Cant Change the Sample Rate

Post by chrk » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:43 pm

Darkstar2010 wrote:There isn't a drop down menu like there used to be.
Any other high-priority audio application open prior to Live or anything playing in the background? That would lock the sound driver to its current sample rate and the selector in Live is grayed out. - You can't have the device playing two samplerates at the same time.

Darkstar2010

Post by Darkstar2010 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:10 pm

Thank you!

I had VLC Media Player open and also Winamp. I closed them both at the same time and I'm able to choose my sample rate in Ableton Lives Preferences again..So I'm not sure which program was causing the problem..or if it was both.

The part I'm most confused about is that I configured Live to run at 44100 so I'm not sure why it would change. Maybe watching a Hi-Def movie on VLC or listening to a FLAC file made it change Ableton Live for some reason. It'd be interesting to know so I can avoid it happening again in the future.

chrk

Post by chrk » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:30 am

Darkstar2010 wrote:The part I'm most confused about is that I configured Live to run at 44100 so I'm not sure why it would change. Maybe watching a Hi-Def movie on VLC or listening to a FLAC file made it change Ableton Live for some reason. It'd be interesting to know so I can avoid it happening again in the future.
Whichever hogs the driver first, locks it to its samplerate (provided it can override the system preferences at all). That's on driver-/hardware-level, and there's nothing Live or any other audio application can do but follow. Full stop.

Maybe a few scenarios from my system (Vista + Saffire Pro 24 DSP) can illustrate that for you:

- Foobar 2000, set either to Direct Sound out or ASIO Out (there's an unofficial ASIO support component out there) locks the driver to the system samplerate (Windows playback device) ONLY when it's playing.
- Live (ASIO) tries to lock the driver to the samplerate set in the preferences as soon as I start it and tries to change them when I change the preferences.
- Soundforge (ASIO) tries to lock the driver at startup, too, but tries to change the samplerate according to that of the file it's playing. When the driver is used by another application it throws an error message that the requested samplerate is not available.

gydudmn

Post by gydudmn » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:44 am

I was having this issue when trying to use bluetooth headphones for audio output. I plugged the headphones in with an aux cable, which allowed me to finally select an audio output source and then change the sample rate from 41000 to 48000. Now I'm able to use my bluetooth headphones again.

Guina Walker

Post by Guina Walker » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:17 pm

Thanks for all the hints posted by Ableton users, but a special one for :D Darkstar2010 coz his post saved me. Asio could not be activated, I could not change the sample rate to 48 for a reason I was not able to identify. So I checked on youtube, read lots of posts here, and then I found the answer at the bottom - my Bluetooth was on. I couldn't believe my eyes. 3 hours wasted :evil:
Thanks for this lesson