Touchable or APC 40 in studio environment

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
empirix

Touchable or APC 40 in studio environment

Post by empirix » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:20 pm

Howdy,

I know there are threads on both (i have read them) but which is better to use in a studio environment, i already have an ipad, so in that respect, i guess just getting touchable is a very cheap option, i use the clip view to record most of the time, is touchable up to the task or is the akai apc 40 better?

User opinions, very much appreciated.

thanks

esky

Re: Touchable or APC 40 in studio environment

Post by esky » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:00 pm

Much appreciated...me too...

Here its the other way round...i have an apc 40 (which i find is great) and i'm looking at those Touchables and Konkreet Performers with big eyes...

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:51 pm

For my use Touchable, Liiine, and the others (I got most of them) are not usable. To many limitations, and not enough tactile feedback. Apc 40 I use every day in the studio. The apps each got various important limitations like not being able to open group tracks. (the faders and knobs feel, layout and design on the apc are some of the best you can get)

With Native Kontrol presets for the apc 40 you can get around a lot of its short comings. Like geting 8 sends from 1 track on the apcs top 8 track controll knobs. And ability to use the triggers as pads for drumracks or midi notes.

For live performances I have edited the ableton midi remote script to work in similar ways (8 sends + 8macro knobs) on my korg nano kontrol. You can do this with any midi controller. Its very easy and its all explained in the file text itself.

Those touch apps are great if you run a recording studio, and you want to walk arround and remote control Live from the mic boot etc.

I dont use them on live performances because its to much hassle to conect with ad-hoc, and im more of a knob twister then a button presser. I prefer physical knobs when I perform.

But some of those apps are even free. So why dont you give it a try?

Heres a great and free one:
http://livecontrol.q3f.org/

As a DAW controller for Live, I give them:
iPad Live App control: 3/10
APC 40: 10/10

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:15 pm

I mainly use the APC40 for Ableton, and then touchable when i'm running the bridge to save on screen real estate, when i'm in the studio i've got a full size electric piano so i use touchable to do tweaks of stuff live... Mixing though is generally always the APC40...

Cheers
D

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:06 pm

I use both the APC40 and Launchpad.

In the studio, APC40 is invaluable. The knobs automap to various track parameters (panning, sends, etc.) as well as your plugin parameters. Select a track or a plugin and the controls are active with visual feedback of the settings. Arming/muting/soloing tracks is stupid simple.

I find those features perhaps even more important than the clip launching grid. In fact, I much prefer Launchpad for clip launching...bigger grid, larger pads.

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:53 am

APC40 all the way here too... tactility and clear visual feed back is imo VERY important.. Also I hate staring at screen all the time! ymmv

Hd

alexjholland

Post by alexjholland » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:50 am

I own both. APC40 is a serious piece of kit; any of the software - including Touch OSC - are a fun novelty.

If you've got an iPad, check Touch OSC out. But there simply isn't a debate over which provides a superior experience for controlling Ableton.
Last edited by alexjholland on Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

DJjoeB

Post by DJjoeB » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:51 am

hey bro,

i have a novation launchpad which is good for live performance but I'm looking to buy the apc 40 for my studio. i have an iPad with touch-osc and it is great trust me i was going to get touchable but its like $25 so i tried touch-osc for $5 and its awesome. in my own opinion i would rather use a piece of hardware though instead of touchscreen.

btw: touch-osc and touchable each have a touchscreen keyboard which is great if ur mobile.