Back to Arrangement

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tyko

Back to Arrangement

Post by Tyko » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:20 pm

this is really annoying me when i play my song in arrangement view Ableton automatically turns on the red 'Back to arrangement' button at the top and it comes on red and turns my automation clip off, wtf!?!? also! it will change my preset on the vst to one i was experimenting with earlier but i ended up choosing a different one and i always have to change it back! any help would be appreciated

suspended childhood

Re: Back to Arrangement

Post by suspended childhood » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:13 pm

sounds like its working. the point of the back to arrangement button is so when you are playing or changing from when it was arranged, you click "back to arrangement" and it returns...back to arrangement...
John Deere 9860STS Hydraflex , 15" MBP 2.5 C2D 4 gigs RAM, 15" MBP 2.33 Dual Core 3 gigs ram, ultralite x2, MPD 32, Kontrol49, v4, CG-8, live 7, reason 4, Trilogy, MiniMonsta, Oddity, M8. http://www.myspace.com/robclay

Tyko

Post by Tyko » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:51 pm

in other words why do i have to keep tapping 'back to arrangement' to turn my automation clips back on.

synthbob

Post by synthbob » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:13 pm

Got any program changes in your clips in the arrangement window? Delete 'em...

Psychoactive_Music

Post by Psychoactive_Music » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:36 pm

Say you create some filter automation using the cutoff on a plug in. You then go back into the plug in interface and start changing the cutoff. Because you decided the starting point and how the filter changes on the arrangement view, ableton keeps your automation unchanged, but allows you to hear the filter again in the plug in interface. So when the red button is on you are hearing how the filter is being effected by you in the interface, press the red button OFF and play your clip and you hear the automation on.

If ableton didnt do this there would be questions on this forum asking 'why is all my automation getting altered when im just changing the frequency in the plug in interface'

This is what I find anyway

Tyko

Post by Tyko » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:11 am

i understand this, session view is empty

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:29 am

maybe a rogue midi controller or an m4l patch is causing this...

the automation should turn off for only something that's being changed at that time...
not everything..

so basically what I'm saying.. is ...something is moving and you should figure out what that is..
treat it..
because bta button shouldn't light up if you're simply playing back...

synthbob

Post by synthbob » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:25 pm

Hi,

I can confirm program changes cause this with some VST's when simply playing back.

It's a bit of a bug.

Cheers
R

UnderwaterSunlight

Post by UnderwaterSunlight » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:47 am

Confirmed.
Behavior still present in Live 8.4b8 x64.
Apple MacBook Air M2 (2022), 24 GB RAM, 1TB internal SSD, MacOS 12 Monterey (up-to-date), Ableton 11 Standard (up-to-date), NI Komplete 14, Steinberg UR22 mkII

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:25 am

UnderwaterSunlight wrote:Confirmed.
Behavior still present in Live 8.4b8 x64.
Yeah, and I have this ultimately annoying issue with 2CAudio plug-ins. Both Aether and Breeze, for that matter. If I have already programmed automation lane for them in arrangement, as soon as I start playing the arrangement again after clearing the "Back to arrangement" button, it turns red again.

Andrejs
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

UnderwaterSunlight

Post by UnderwaterSunlight » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:40 pm

i remedied it - at least for my current project - by removing all program change commands in a channel which has a certain reaktor ensemble ("rubiter ate" synth) as its instrument.
well, i thus had only the same preset playing on that channel for the full length of the project. it was no big deal as this track still contains some other fine automation of that particular reaktor ensemble.

i was very glad that the program changes i had programmed for my dsi prophet'08 didn't pose a problem, i.e. the bta button didn't come on in a pesky manner.
as it is, in reaktor i have some thousand ensembles to choose from in case something goes haywire whereas i only have this one hardware analog synth :P
Apple MacBook Air M2 (2022), 24 GB RAM, 1TB internal SSD, MacOS 12 Monterey (up-to-date), Ableton 11 Standard (up-to-date), NI Komplete 14, Steinberg UR22 mkII