Ughhh... Please tell me there's an easier way to do this....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pre55ure

Ughhh... Please tell me there's an easier way to do this....

Post by pre55ure » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:42 pm

Ok, So I have built a bunch of drum racks (using simpler) with my most commonly used Kicks, snares etc... basically the "128's" idea, but made with simpler and some fancy midi routing. This allowed me to use one knob to change through all the drums in each drum rack. Anyway, I took advantage of the 33% off sale and upgraded to suite, cause I've been wanting sampler and operator for a while. I would now like to move all my drum racks into sampler as this would make things a lot less complex, but you can't move samples from within simpler to- well anywhere. Correct? I have 128 simplers (1 in each cell of a drum rack) and as far as I can tell there is no way to consolidate all 128 samples in a sampler other than clicking on each cell, showing the sample in the browser, and then moving it from the browser into sampler. Correct? ughhh. It wouldn't be that bad if it were just one drum rack, but ive got ones for kicks, snares, hats etc... that 128+128+128 etc... times of doing that starts to add up really fast. PLease tell me someone has figured out a better way of doing this. Ableton is awesome 95% of the time.... but sometimes I just don't get the design decisions. SMH.

simmerdown

Re: Ughhh... Please tell me there's an easier way to do this....

Post by simmerdown » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:50 pm

you were supposed to put 128 hits inside 1 sampler

synnack

Post by synnack » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:56 pm

right click on the Simpler device and choose "Simpler -> Sampler" and it will convert that rack pad and all its settings to a sampler instance.

There's a way to tell Live to default to Sampler over simpler too but I"m not in front of it now to remember how.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:00 pm

thats what i was gonna say at first too, but on reread it sounds like he put individual hits in 128 separate simplers inside many drumracks...so, idk...pre%%ure, how did you do it

pre55ure

Post by pre55ure » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:04 pm

@simmerdown Yes... thats what I'm currently doing.
I previously only had simpler, and simpler can only hold one sample at a time.

@tempus3r yeah, I can convert simplers to samplers now, but that won't really help, as I will just have 128 individual samplers in a drum rack, instead of 128 simplers. I need a way to somehow get all the individual samples used in a drum rack to be consolidated into one place, so I can then just drag them all en mass into a sampler.

Thanks for the thoughts though guys.

hmm... gave me an idea- I wonder if I can just make a new project with just the drum rack in it, save files on export and then maybe the samples subfolder will contain just the samples from the drum rack?... ok, off to give it a go.

pre55ure

Post by pre55ure » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:07 pm

@simmerdown, sorry if it wasn't clear. Its just the default way that drum racks work if you don't have suite. Each sample you drop onto a pad creates a simpler to play the dropped sample. I'm sure you already know that. So just 1 drumrack containing 128 samples each on their own pad. It's just that I have lots of different drum racks and manually finding each sample and moving it over to sampler sounds like a nightmare.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:25 pm

gotcha...well now that you have sampler i would start from scratch, forget converting

theres a tut called 'the last drumrack you will ever need' or something, follow that, takes maybe 30 mins to get set up...

my default drumrack has 12 samplers inside,thats it, and i dont think its ever gonna run out....

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:27 pm

plox

Post by plox » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:29 pm

agreed, just start again.. takes 2 mins to do.

-organise you samples
-simply drag 128 from the browser into sampler
-follow 128's creation method... lots of hows to's on utube

synnack

Post by synnack » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:34 pm

pre55ure wrote:@simmerdown Yes... thats what I'm currently doing.
I previously only had simpler, and simpler can only hold one sample at a time.

@tempus3r yeah, I can convert simplers to samplers now, but that won't really help, as I will just have 128 individual samplers in a drum rack, instead of 128 simplers. I need a way to somehow get all the individual samples used in a drum rack to be consolidated into one place, so I can then just drag them all en mass into a sampler.

Thanks for the thoughts though guys.

hmm... gave me an idea- I wonder if I can just make a new project with just the drum rack in it, save files on export and then maybe the samples subfolder will contain just the samples from the drum rack?... ok, off to give it a go.

Ah. sorry. I see what you mean now. Btw, I've own Sampler since it came out and I have to say I've never once used it in a drum rack. Simpler or Impulse (cause it has the Stretch knob) works great in a Drum rack.

What about Sampler do you even want for drums?
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager

pre55ure

Post by pre55ure » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:44 pm

Cool, I will check out that video in a bit. The problem with starting over is that I have already put my "go to" samples in racks, so I don't need to go searching through the browser whenever I'm looking for drums etc...

@tempus3r.. Hmmm, thats interesting. Reverse is one thing that I wanted in sampler, and also being able to just drop a sampler with 128 drum sounds preloaded and selectable with the twist of a knob onto a drum track was quite appealing.

Oh also, for future refrence- it worked. I was able to start a new session, put one drum rack in it, collect all and save. and all my samples were consolidated into the projects "samples" folder. I was then able to drag them into sampler. Awesome!

synnack

Post by synnack » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:56 pm

pre55ure wrote: @tempus3r.. Hmmm, thats interesting. Reverse is one thing that I wanted in sampler, and also being able to just drop a sampler with 128 drum sounds preloaded and selectable with the twist of a knob onto a drum track was quite appealing.
Got it. As a workaround, you can drag sample on an audio clip slot, reverse it, then drop it on a simpler to reverse it. (then delete the clip).

I do really like the "OSC" feature of Sampler. I use it all the time. Just haven't on drums.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:40 am

oh, do check that vid...with that you can set up midi beats and dial thru your samples as it plays

tempus also, youll see the power of sampler inside drumracks....

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:49 pm

There is also this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epX2EKXSKZg and here's an article from future music http://futuremusic.com/blog/2011/03/08/ ... m-machine/. I did a bit of testing for the person who developed it/put it together waaaaaaaay back when he was mucking around with it. It may give you some ideas or it may not, or I could be totally wrong on this! Just figured I'd post this if it hadn't been posted before.

I thought it was pretty cool to be able to dial through 128 sounds via a midi controller.

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:26 pm

*bookmark*