How to change the pitch of notes in ableton midi editor

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Nokatus

Re: How to change the pitch of notes in ableton midi editor

Post by Nokatus » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:35 pm

danwade wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:54 pm
This would be so cool if you could do this (like velocity), but with your keyboard also for a drum note in a pattern.
I think you will need to describe exactly, step by step, what you mean by "with your keyboard also for a drum note in a pattern" (what is the pattern controlling and how, and how will the keyboard in turn override/control that data) if it's to be an actual feature request :). As for Darkstar2010's comments on the capabilities of the MIDI editor, I still sense a profound disconnect there in the understanding of what MIDI is and how the editor actually interacts with something like the Drum Rack. In any case, and in the mean time, you can for example use the envelopes in the editor to transpose stuff that you trigger inside a drum rack, naturally. If you target the Transpose parameter of the relevant sampler instance (of the oneshot you wish to transpose differently on different hits), you get a nice semitone-stepped envelope for the purpose. Note that you don't need to go device-diving in the actual device chain (like you described and disliked), just choose the appropriate envelope in the editor and off you go.

Pitch bend is another alternative, but it's less convenient when you're after several tuned-to-note transpositions for a specific oneshot in this scenario.

danwade

Post by danwade » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:00 am

Hello Nokatus,

Here's the scenario I'm trying to replicate in Ableton, I want to tune a note within a pattern for an instrument in my Drum Rack. This currently works in Native Instruments using both a Maschine MK3 and a Komplete A25 MIDI keyboard. It also works with just the MK3 due to the NI native functionality for chromatic scale/selected sound when in Keyboard mode (described below).

When you have both MK3 and the MIDI keyboard (A25), you can tune your kit sounds VERY EASILY. Let's use the kick as an example. The physical way to this is to load your kit in Maschine, activate your kick by pressing on pad 1 on the MK3, then go to the MIDI keyboard (A25) and play the kick sound on whatever key you want to generate the note you want.

As an example with Maschine and their use of Patterns - I create a pattern w/in a group that has a kit assigned to it, Pad 1 is assigned to a kick instrument, I press Pad 1 on the MK3, move over to the A25, hit record on it, play middle C for my default kick sound for the first beat, and then E for the 3rd beat. And wala - I have two sounds for my kick within 1 pattern and it shows up visually in both MIDI pattern and piano roll in Maschine.

In a more simpler context with Maschine - it's the same context as using the Keyboard button on the MK3. I.E. "Press KEYBOARD to switch the pads to Keyboard mode. In Keyboard mode the pads represent 16 pitches of the chromatic scale for the selected Sound, ascending from the selected Root Note; this way you can play the selected Sound like a melodic instrument." - And you can change octaves too for the instrument assigned to the pad. You would then press Keyboard again to return to drum mode. If Ableton had this seamless functionality for a drum rack instrument, this would be a game changer.

In Ableton, I gave this a try with my push 2, and while I can tune any instrument in a drum rack with various methods (tried many different ways for just 1 note in a clip pattern), no dice from a "seamless" type experience. It can be accomplished, but it it's a cloogy as hell, and adds unnecessary complexity IMO. So for what I'm trying to accomplish, I'm stuck with using Maschine as a VST and calling it a day. Would be cool if Ableton offered a Push functionality to add a "note mode" for a drum rack instrument pad, where you could open a chromatic scale for a particular beat and just slide up/down to get the pitch you want (OR select a note straight from the push itself). There's already a Note button, and there's also a chromatic feature in the app, so perhaps this is an option down the road for an enhancement.

I hope this makes sense, but if you still need more info, let me know.

Thanks!
|danwade/

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:18 pm

Darkstar2010 wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:06 pm
I've set up a drum rack and I have 2 midi notes that I'm layering.

In the Midi note editor the notes are right beside each other on the piano roll (exactly the way I want it)

I want to transpose 1 row of my kicks up an octave but I don't know how to do that. I don't want to drag them up an Octave, I can't anyways since there are only these 2 keys on the Piano Roll available because they're in drum racks. I just want them staying where they are and changing the pitch somehow.

Can someone let me know how to do that?

thanks!!!!
Ableton does this much different than like FL STUDIO. But that said FL Studio is it's own program and drum programming is one of its power features that is above other DAWS.

In Ableton you will either need to do this via:

1. Clip Envelopes.
This really is a pretty powerful feature once you wrap your head around it. But yeah it is more keen to old step sequencers than a piano roll based solution like FL STUDIO. This method offers very crude visual feedback but if you know your intervals. Not too bad.

2. Use simpler outside of Drum Rack. This way you have full control of pitch on piano roll. I rarely do 808 booms in Drum Racks. I tend to play them on midi keyboard. A drum Rack is tedious in this manner. This is my preferred method.

3. Make different drum Rack pads with the tunings you want. This is actually how you had to do it with MPCs back in the day somewhat tedious but once you created a kit, it is always there. This method has benefits over the other too as you are able to process each hit differently.

weepwow

Post by weepwow » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:55 pm

I have a Question about (recording) a Key Change using Push 2:
I am using Push 2; hit duplicate key in a Clip to Copy the Clip to the track/clip below it.
So Is it possible to 'transpose/change the key/scale' of the New clip copy using Push 2 command ? I cant find this anywhere. Thanks