help with my interfaces output

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
chris241989

help with my interfaces output

Post by chris241989 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:06 pm

So I am trying to get a good little recording set up going and I am running into some issues. I think it has to do with the way that I have my stuff set up. If anyone could help me in the right direction that would be great.

The set up I am using is Abletone Live into, audiobox usb, and m audio speakers.
As far as everything physically being connected right, it is. I am just wondering how come when I use my audiobox as the output device my speakers are really quiet. I have thought about just having the output be my computers audiowave( when using this the output is much louder and crisper)and the speakers directly connected to the computer but then I can’t use my headphones with the audiobox since its not getting the output.

So my problem might be really dumb and easy to fix but I am just now trying to learn the software aspect of music and I am still learning the basics. If this isn’t enough informations I can give you more specifics but I figured this was a start because I am running out of preferences to mess with. :roll:

Thanks again guys for the help

DangerousDave

Re: help with my interfaces output

Post by DangerousDave » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:16 pm

Are you on a mac or pc? If pc are you using asio4all? I think you can adjust input and output levels with is but I am not at my studio computer to check.

Also are there volume knobs on your M-audio monitors? or on your audiobox?
https://soundcloud.com/unearthproductions
beats me wrote:everybody around you thinks you’re a fucking idiot.

chris241989

Post by chris241989 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:39 am

Yeah I am using a PC.For my diver types I have mme/direct x or asio. If i use direct x, my output choices are high definition audio device or high definition audio wave. If i use the asio i can choose from my audiobox usb asio driver or asio directx full duplex driver. Yeah I do have volume knobs on the speakers and interface and the volumes and power supplies are on and up. Someone was trying to tell me that its because im am not going through an amp. I really hope thats not the case because I wanted to take a break from spending cash haha. I hope its just a setting somewere that im missing.

andydes

Post by andydes » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:39 am

I believe all M audio monitors are active. The amps are built in (they have a power supply, right?). Going through another amp would be a very bad idea.

Use the asio audiobox driver. It's the driver designed for your soundcard. Ignore asio4all for now. That's a last resort solution for soundcards that don't have good drivers. I don't know why people always suggest it straight away.

Exactly what monitors do you have? Do they have balanced inputs? What cables are you using?

Post by 102455 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:07 am

As the output directly from the computer is loud enough, that suggests there's no issue with the monitors.

I notice from the spec of the Audiobox that the outputs are balanced. Are you using balanced cables to go from there to the speakers?

If not then that's possibly causing the drop in output level.

The jacks should look like the TOP one in this pic, not the lower one.

http://www.johnloomis.org/digitallab/au ... k_plug.jpg

chris241989

Post by chris241989 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:30 pm

No my cables look like the lower ones in the pick. ill go pick up a couple of those cables and try it out and see if that helps. Thanks alot for all the help. Hopefully its something as easy as that!

chris241989

Post by chris241989 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:58 pm

i got the cables and it didnt make a difference. I am thinking it has to be somthing with the settings i have with my usb interface. i just dont know what.I got the cables and it didnt make a difference. I am thinking it has to be somthing with the settings i have with my usb interface. i just dont know what.

outsidesys

Post by outsidesys » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:06 am

Try turning the Mixer knob all the way to the playback position, and the Main knob to the 12 O'Clock position. Then start playing some audio in Live. If the volume is still low, turn the Main knob clockwise to turn it up.

If that doesn't help, contact PreSonus. You never know, you could have a defective unit.