Can't hear audio after recording/on playback?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
empirix

Can't hear audio after recording/on playback?

Post by empirix » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:29 pm

Ok i find this bizarre!! Only using ableton a couple of days, all was well until....

I recorded an external hardware synth bass line, again all was fine, set up the audio track, could see the input signal, i record, i can see its being recorded, waveform etc. I stop recording, i playback the recording/waveform and i get no sound - like wtf?

I've been all over the settings and all appears to be well
I'm baffled

Anybody know whats going on?
cheers

simmerdown

Re: Can't hear audio after recording/on playback?

Post by simmerdown » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:33 pm

switch your monitoring back to 'auto'

damonsterguitar

Post by damonsterguitar » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:45 pm

I'm quite a bit late , but if you look at the column for the audio, there should be a number at the bottom. If the number is orange, then it is playing. If it is gray, you can click it to make it play.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:50 am

Yes you are. Quite a bit late :)
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

apollounstable

Post by apollounstable » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:59 am

I had the exact same problem and the above advise is pure bollix. To resolve the problem, which is inherent to the program, simply delete the preconfigured tracks that Ableton Live 9.5 provides by right clicking on the track parameter area and choosing delete. Then, right click in the same area and choose insert audio track. Configure it as you did before and voila, you get recorded audio that will play back. This can be distinguished by a black wave form as opposed to gray.
An answer to almost any question can be found in mythology.

Robotroy

Post by Robotroy » Wed May 27, 2020 1:27 am

This totally worked for me after the other 2 things didn't. Thanks

apollounstable wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:59 am
I had the exact same problem and the above advise is pure bollix. To resolve the problem, which is inherent to the program, simply delete the preconfigured tracks that Ableton Live 9.5 provides by right clicking on the track parameter area and choosing delete. Then, right click in the same area and choose insert audio track. Configure it as you did before and voila, you get recorded audio that will play back. This can be distinguished by a black wave form as opposed to gray.

ThePinnacle

Post by ThePinnacle » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:33 pm

Hi, I seem to be having this issue now. Where do I right click?

margolizz

Post by margolizz » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:31 am

Hey mate -- thank you so much!!! After trying literally everything and searching the internet forever, your little comment solved a massive headache for me. What a stupid glitch @Ableton

Bless u my internet friend
apollounstable wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:59 am

hmineur

Post by hmineur » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:41 pm

WOW. It has been 1 year later almost and this is still a problem in one of the most important functions in this tool LOL. FIX IT. It was the first thing I wanted to do and I've been stressing over it since forever thank you for giving the magic tip. Feels like a small prank

rubebop

Post by rubebop » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:08 pm

I had the same problem, and as suggested by @apollounstable, I created another audio track and pasted there the audio track/wave form, so that I could hear it.
What the hell? I can't believe that this being a bug: it wouldn't make sense that they did not fix something sooooo basic in such a long time. Are we perhaps missing something?