lock record arm on certain tracks -possible?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
grunzlaut

lock record arm on certain tracks -possible?

Post by grunzlaut » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:36 pm

ok, I have a session with lots of internal midi routing from one track to another. meanwhile I have to record-arm/disarm other tracks not involved in this routing-mess. anytime I hit a record arm all the armed tracks that receive midi from other tracks are disarmed because I armed another track resulting in no output.

I know that you can press shift while arming with the mouse. but the said session should become the base of a live/jamsession set. and I dont want to touch mouse and keyboard then.

with my APC 40 it´s possible to hit several record arm buttons at a time, but you have to hit them reeeeaaaally simultaneously. Most of the time it won´t work and only the track I hit a milisecond later than the others will be armed.

And even if that would work with ease it would be a workaround, because I want to keep certain tracks always armed and don´t want to hit their arm-buttons each time I press another button.

my current workaround is to not use the arm buttons at all -I just have all tracks armed and mute those, which should have no output. As you can imagine this requires a lot of mute-button-pressing and since muted tracks are still processed, this method can be kind of CPU punishing -especially if your favourite synth is U-HE ACE ;-)

so: Is there a possibility to keep tracks ALWAYS record-armed no matter if I arm other tracks?

grunzlaut

Re: lock record arm on certain tracks -possible?

Post by grunzlaut » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:57 pm

ShelLuser wrote: Not exactly. If you keep the first arm button you push pressed down then all the other arm buttons will act like toggles.

So; say you want to arm tracks 1, 3 and 7. You press the arm button of track one with your left hand and keep it pressed. Then easily (as slow or fast as you want) press the arm buttons of tracks 3 & 7.
hmm, i didn´t know that and it´s good to know, but if I got it right this means you´d have to press one track first and hold it down resulting in all tracks being armed before to get disarmed which means I´d still have to arm the tracks I don´t want to be disarmed again.
ShelLuser wrote: I think you're looking for the 'exclusive arm' option. Check the preference screen; 'Record, Warp, Launch' tab. Simply deselect 'arm' from the exclusive option. After that all your arm buttons simply toggle without affecting other armed tracks.
THAT is in fact what I was looking for! THX alot. Will try this as soon as I get in front of my audio pc.

and: Am I right that aforementioned APC-trick will still work after I done said preferences-tweak? That´ll be awesome.

Avelon

Post by Avelon » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:02 pm

I'm also looking for the solution of this question.
viewtopic.php?t=237468

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:25 am

MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1