Is there a hardware synth that is similar to tension?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tjkoro

Is there a hardware synth that is similar to tension?

Post by tjkoro » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:39 pm

I'm trying to find a string modeler that can make the ugly sounds that tension can when you crank the friction and inharmony settings. Moreover just an intuitive/heavily customizable string synth.

Does anyone know of such a thing?
Thanks

oddstep

Re: Is there a hardware synth that is similar to tension?

Post by oddstep » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:14 pm

Physical modelling is such an intrinsically software thing that any hardware synth would just be a computer with less flexibility. Can you get a cheap laptop and run the aas tension equivalent as a standalone?

bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:35 am

One of the old Yamaha physical modeling synths is probably what you're looking for... VL-7, VL-70m etc. But the polyphony is extremely limited... monophonic in some cases, duophonic in others.

tjkoro

Post by tjkoro » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:11 am

Monophony and Duophony are a-ok in my book, at least for my purposes. A quick google of the V7 or the V1 tells me they're pretty rare these days though.
Whether its for simplicity or not, I'm somewhat set on the idea of getting a hardware version. A laptop with a midi keyboard just doesn't have the same luster, but seems to be about a $grand cheaper. It's also what I have right now, so no love lost and I'm more than happy with my MPK and Ableton.

I'll keep an eye out for those guys though, thanks!
Was Yamaha the only company to focus on modeling like that? You'd think there'd be other brands trying to win marketshare back in the day.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:21 am

the only new synth i can think of that has a string modelling synth engine is Teenage Engineering's OP-1.
worth a look..

rozling

Post by rozling » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:47 am

Korg Kronos?

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:10 pm

rozling wrote:Korg Kronos?
this...
they have the physical modeling engine since "Oasys" model
it's quite an expensive instrument..
First released by Korg as an expansion to the Korg Oasys, the STR-1 Plucked String Synthesizer engine creates sounds derived from the physical properties of struck or plucked string sounds. This sound engine is well-suited for creating sounds like guitar, harpsichord and clavinet, harp, and bell sounds, as well as other sounds based in the physics of a plucked string but not directly related to any known instrument.

Schmidi

Post by Schmidi » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:21 pm

Korg Z1 and Korg Prophecy are both highly rated physical modelling synths, though I'm not sure how good/bad they are at strings specifically. Be aware, all these hardware Phyz mod synths are beasts to program, and will not likely be as quick to get results out of as software.

There is an updated version of Collision by the same programmers called Chromaphone, which is a nice VST.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:31 pm

oh yeah.. the Z1 ...you can get it for dirt cheap today... and it's a good keyboard..

Technics also made a PM synth backntheday ...
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1995_ar ... wsa1.html/

ciw

Post by ciw » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:34 pm

I can vouch for Korg Prophecy, lots of fun to be had with the string model, including inharmonicity etc (though I haven't used Tension much so can't compare).

If you want polyphony, which the proph doesn't have, go look for a Z1. Same synthesis model though I hear the inbuilt presets aren't as good.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:50 pm

completely left-field here .. but there's a great deal a pleasure to be had from building a physical crazy instrument. It's quite a quick process and has the hands-on pleasure of a craft project.

salvage an old pick-up, or contact mic, or just a crummy piezzo transducer. Get some guitar or bass strings, find a way to tension them over a resonator.

then sample the results!

this book is highly recommended
http://www.amazon.com/Musical-Instrumen ... 1884365086

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:13 am

i would buy a an actual physical model of "tension" just so i could have the pleasure of watching it burn in flames as i smash it over and over upon the ground.

I'm not real good with tension by the way.
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent