Midi library solution for better workflow in Live????

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
ryanbparks1

Midi library solution for better workflow in Live????

Post by ryanbparks1 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:05 pm

I am trying to figure out how to incorporate a midi library of pre mapped drum or beat grooves into my work flow. I am not a drummer and I find it rather difficult to map quality drum loops from scratch.

A few possibilities I have found are

-3rd party Plugins
BFD2 Has a midi library built in
Addictive drums has similar features

-3rd party midi libraries
Groove monkee has a vast collection of these presets available for purchase

My problem is that I would like to use Ableton Live's samples and built in plugins.

I would like to figure out a few different methods that others
-organize presets
Is there a language used to describe the specific pattern?
How can I quickly find the presets I need as a starting point?

-Standardize midi programming
It would be useful to know (for example) that a kick is always C1 and a snare is always C2

I'm sorry if this information is already on this forum or if it seems painfully obvious to others, but I've been struggling with it for awhile and and pointers would really help me get started.

Thanks for looking and feedback is really appreciated!

kitekrazy

Re: Midi library solution for better workflow in Live????

Post by kitekrazy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:57 pm

ryanbparks1 wrote:I am trying to figure out how to incorporate a midi library of pre mapped drum or beat grooves into my work flow. I am not a drummer and I find it rather difficult to map quality drum loops from scratch.

A few possibilities I have found are

-3rd party Plugins
BFD2 Has a midi library built in
Addictive drums has similar features

-3rd party midi libraries
Groove monkee has a vast collection of these presets available for purchase

My problem is that I would like to use Ableton Live's samples and built in plugins.

I would like to figure out a few different methods that others
-organize presets
Is there a language used to describe the specific pattern?
How can I quickly find the presets I need as a starting point?

-Standardize midi programming
It would be useful to know (for example) that a kick is always C1 and a snare is always C2

I'm sorry if this information is already on this forum or if it seems painfully obvious to others, but I've been struggling with it for awhile and and pointers would really help me get started.

Thanks for looking and feedback is really appreciated!
Usually those who sell midis for drums have different folders labeled for the different drum modules out there. You would use the one labeled GM.

doom_Oo7

Post by doom_Oo7 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:50 pm

You could give an eye to toontrack EZPlayer
Ossia Score, an OSC sequencer for intermedia arts - http://www.ossia.io

ryanbparks1

Post by ryanbparks1 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:51 pm

Thanks for the feedback! The Ezplayer looks to be a pretty good solution. I think the conversion tools for the midi formats will allow me to keep a standardized library.

I have found that Ableton's grooves work really well. Does anyone have an opinion about using these or finding additional grooves?

Can anyone point a finger at a great way to descriptively sort beats? Many libraries at least give a style and a BPM but I was wondering if there was anything more technical? Might be a stupid question, but if I start building a midi library I want to do it right!

Thanks

mrobare

Post by mrobare » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:24 pm

hi

I am currently using Superior Drumer 2 upgraded from ezdrums
i am mostly into guitar keyboards bass and drums
and while i do play guitar and a little keyboard
i don't play drums
ToonTracks drums are great for what i am doing
and have a great selection of loops that come
with the drums sets and have some great add on midi packs
and have a great browser for the midi loops

just my two cents

devobtch
Windows 7 64bit I7 970 3.2 Ghz
12 GB 8 TB storage ASUS 6970 video card
ASUS Rampage Extreme motherboard
Ableton Live 9 Suite Komplete 7 Mach 5 3
Garritan Jazz and Big Band FL Studio and numerous
FL plugins Ozone 5, Autotune 7 Gibson SG
Fender Strat APC 40

Gregory Wells-King

Post by Gregory Wells-King » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:05 pm

Getting midi library's to work well through export is always difficult, on the whole it means sticking to a plan and following it through religously, what I've always found useful is to try and export sequencer outputs into Live through recording their midi output.

I then add them to my own midi clips library in Live. I'be built a few racks with Live centred around Impulse and Drum Rack and again, they can be useful if you add 3rd party content like Puremagnetiks kit's.

One library you might look at here is 'Flatpack's Electronic Drum's' library, it's got a decent library of clips and sound sources centred around Drumrack.

Gregory Wells-King

Post by Gregory Wells-King » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:10 pm

Gregory Wells-King wrote:Getting midi library's to work well through export is always difficult, on the whole it means sticking to a plan and following it through religously, what I've always found useful is to try and export sequencer outputs into Live through recording their midi output.

I then add them to my own midi clips library in Live. I'be built a few racks with Live centred around Impulse and Drum Rack and again, they can be useful if you add 3rd party content like Puremagnetiks kit's.

One library you might look at here is 'Flatpack's Electronic Drum's' library, it's got a decent library of clips and sound sources centred around Drumrack.
I should have added that infact I have moved over to FXPansion 'Geist' more recently, simply because it's such a broadly useful drum machine, swaping around the library and cutting up loops, are just 2 of many pro things it can do.

However, I still really like Ableton's devices and move to and from them depending on the track style I'm making.

ctrl.z.jones

Post by ctrl.z.jones » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:32 am

you could use the EzPLayer. It stores a Library in its ~userlib/ApplicationSupport folder where you can add own midi files once you've figured out the somewhat cryptic file naming they use for organizing stuff.

you then use the PlugIn in Live that plays back its catalogue (the above mentioned folder), the files are drag_able into Lives tracks and it maps the files to the presets different drum machines and you can even make pre_arragements.

pretty flexible to maintain an overview & access to all your drum files.

I wish there would be something similar for my library of baselines. The dragging_dropping from other live projects in the built_in browser is very slow and occasionally crashes live (but even another way for you to get organized with your files).
I still don't understand why there is no way to open two projects at the same time in 2012 ...

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:52 pm

I haven't looked at those yet. My need is more for martial style drumming (mainly snares, maybe bass and some cymbal/crash/china usage in conjunction with strings/horns/etc for something bombastic ;-)

I just normally work out a progression via my LPD8 or padKontrol if I have that hooked up and using either Kontakt 3/4/5 and its instruments or Battery 3 for its samples (or use those samples in either Impulse (lines up perfect with LPD8 and padKontrol once u find the right configuration to load up) as they have a pretty wide selection of kits in Battery 3 from the Komplete packages I've gotten over the years (updates from K2/Battery days).

But in regards to a MIDI library, I take that to mean clips with different patterns in them, some could be just snares, kicks, claps, etc...names appropriately. I was almost going to buy some martial clip packs but figured I am better off with what's in my head/influences (bands doing this stuff). I am not a drummer, neophyte/novice guitarist (can't for now due to left hand problem....) and am a semi-keyboard player (took piano lessons/theory some time ago but not played in a band for past 5 yrs - no interest to anymore) so I can record it then quantize/move stuff around and fix the old fat-fingered notes ;-) but that also goes for drumming!

So I may go check into this EzPlayer and such but I think I got enough samples for this style.....
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

stoersignal

Post by stoersignal » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:38 pm

ctrl.z.jones wrote:
I wish there would be something similar for my library of baselines. The dragging_dropping from other live projects in the built_in browser is very slow and occasionally crashes live (but even another way for you to get organized with your files).
I still don't understand why there is no way to open two projects at the same time in 2012 ...
just save it as .alc - its what they are for