FXpansion ETCH: VST Plugin only $20

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MrNicHoe

Re: FXpansion ETCH: VST Plugin only $20

Post by MrNicHoe » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:51 am

Why should I buy this Filter?
Whats so special? Live got a filter.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:33 pm

((20-99)/99)*100 = -80%
Ableton | Elektron

Music

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:34 pm

djadonis206 wrote:((20-99)/99)*100 = -80%

And it's, Live's got a filter. Not, Live got a filter.
Ableton | Elektron

Music

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:35 pm

djadonis206 wrote:
djadonis206 wrote:((20-99)/99)*100 = -80%

And it's, Live's got a filter. Not, Live got a filter.
Or, Live has a filter. Even better would be, Live already has a filter
Ableton | Elektron

Music

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:24 pm

spinflux wrote:Hi,

Just installed Etc and using in Live (version 8.3.2). Only with Etch I notice that when I move sliders or rotary controls (volume, pan, etc.) in the mixing area the mouse pointer hangs and stays visible on that slider/rotary control. However, the parameter is still changeable though. No other plugin causes this behaviour.

Anyone similar obervations?

Thanks.
I think this is common to all FXPansion products. Ive seen this happen when I use synthsquad and sometimes geist as well. Ive seen it happen on a few other companies products I own, which I cant remember specifically right now

masterblasterofdisaster

Post by masterblasterofdisaster » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:39 pm

spinflux wrote:
masterblasterofdisaster wrote:The "glitch" presets really soak up the CPU.
Yeah, those presets that have OVERSAMPLE turned on double their CPU-need.
Got it, thanks! Somehow, I missed the bright red letters.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:02 pm

Ordered last night around 2am my time, 11am now and no followup e-mail

Is that expected?

EDIT: Came about 5 minutes after I posted that :D

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:23 pm

I bought Etch when it was first released (feel like a chump today!!! agh!) and I love how thick it can sound.

To the above, yes, Live has a filter. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. It has very little control over the sound.

Etch has a ridiculous amount of control of the sound. My favorite thing about it though is the sound I get from over driving the distortion and compression on the filters. It just sounds... cool.

There is also a lot of "performance" aspects built into this VST, such as being able to play it like an instrument, but I haven't been able to get that part working correctly with Live (it doesn't support midi-in into effects beyond channel 1, and the coolest stuff is on channel 3). I'm sure there are some tricks, I just haven't looked too heavily.

Check out this video for an example of what I'm talking about (starts at the midi control part). http://youtu.be/s72pgPiYmD4?t=8m1s
I especially like the idea of controlling the filter freq. with midi notes.

Everyone is right to say this is a no brainier for $20.
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

dopepoo

Post by dopepoo » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:24 am

Just installed Etc and using in Live (version 8.3.2). Only with Etch I notice that when I move sliders or rotary controls (volume, pan, etc.) in the mixing area the mouse pointer hangs and stays visible on that slider/rotary control. However, the parameter is still changeable though. No other plugin causes this behaviour.

Thanks.
Yes I think so. :)

Do you mean a kind of lag thing where when you drag the mouse up and down the slider moves, but the pointer stays where it is? This happens to me. Also I've noticed once I've loaded Etch, this problem remains even if I delete the instance of the plugin, and it then goes on to affect Ableton Live across the board, until I close the whole app down and reload it.

Amazing how distracting a simple pointer issue like that can be! :)

We aught to contact fxpansion - I am sure they would want to fix it.

I was just working on a piece and I thought 'Hmmm! Perhaps Etch could give me some interesting results here.' But then I stopped short of loading it because I realised it would cause this issue!

Jake

spinflux

Post by spinflux » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:38 am

dopepoo wrote:

Thanks.
Yes I think so. :)

Do you mean a kind of lag thing where when you drag the mouse up and down the slider moves, but the pointer stays where it is? This happens to me. Also I've noticed once I've loaded Etch, this problem remains even if I delete the instance of the plugin, and it then goes on to affect Ableton Live across the board, until I close the whole app down and reload it.

Amazing how distracting a simple pointer issue like that can be! :)

We aught to contact fxpansion - I am sure they would want to fix it.

I was just working on a piece and I thought 'Hmmm! Perhaps Etch could give me some interesting results here.' But then I stopped short of loading it because I realised it would cause this issue!

Jake

I contacted support at fXpansion. They have reproduced the same issue and have put it in their bug tracker. So, hopefully it will be solved in an update soon enough. It is an annoying feature indeed, the more after closing Etch and have the issue persistent in Live. Starting Live again is the only remedy for now.

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:19 pm

I get another bug (on a mac here): if I click thru the source buttons on the bottom, there's a kind of graphical glitch and parts of the GUI go blank; tends to happen mor clicking on the source buttons near the right.

Anybody else get this?

joshspoon

Post by joshspoon » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:29 am

ETCH is cool I've been making kick drums with just the Filter. It colors drum loops to where you can make a song out of it. I've always heard of the comb filter but using it is cool. Also It has way more then 4 filter types and can be modulated in crazy ways. It is good for anything but if you don't have Sampler, you can make up for some of the crazy filter section stuff with this. I've enjoyed panning the filters in parallel and setting the lfo to one and envelope follow to the other w/ a side chain to another track.

Check it, http://soundcloud.com/spoonmusic/messin ... -loop-etch
Have Fun,

Josh Weatherspoon aka Josh Spoon
Ableton Certified Trainer
Music: http://joshspoon.bandcamp.com
Tutorials: http://www.theproducerskitchen.com/