eq three

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Deft

eq three

Post by Deft » Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:16 pm

Might be a bit of a silly question, BUT.

By putting an EQ3 on a channel, with all bands set at 0dB, the channel meter jumps up a bit.
Is this normal? Adding a few dB onto the channel just by being 'ON' with no attenuation?

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:30 pm

yeah, it's well known that EQ3 even at default settings, affects the sound.

some other plugins affect the volume incorrectly too. for example, i get a massive level drop whenever I use ping pong delay.

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:58 am

Yes, with an autofilter in HP mode at it´s flatest setting I get much more low gain as switched off.

On my studiomonitors it´s quite not noticeable, but on a good PA it´s there.

Greetings
MBP 15,4" 2,53GHz C2D 4Gb late 2008 / Mac OS X.6.2 / Novation Remote 37SL Compact / TriggerFinger / FaderfoxDJ2 / Padkontrol / UC33 / SM Audio TB202 / Audiofire2 / Apogee Duet / Event OPAL's / HD25 /

A DJ

Post by A DJ » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:21 am

sweetjesus wrote:, i get a massive level drop whenever I use ping pong delay.

hey i am not the only one

thought that I am missing something

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:24 am

sweetjesus wrote:yeah, it's well known that EQ3 even at default settings, affects the sound.

some other plugins affect the volume incorrectly too. for example, i get a massive level drop whenever I use ping pong delay.
Personally, I find that the EQ4 is more transparent than the EQ3 - that's because the EQ3 ALWAYS splits the signal into bands and then re-mixes them. Try the 24 db per octave option for a slightly less noticeable result.

For the EQ4, I have been using them as resonant filters, since the Auto-filter is so coloured. It totally messes with the sound, even when the resonance is low (or off) and the filters are totally open.

Check out this topic for screenshots and a how-to.

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7218

I have changed my username; Now posting as:

M. Bréqs