Need help with Progressive/electro piano sound

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
PolarBearAssault

Need help with Progressive/electro piano sound

Post by PolarBearAssault » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:31 pm

Hi all,
So I'm working on a track and I've been struggling with a piano sound. I'm using ableton's grand piano instrument, with really only a few tweaks in eq and some reverb. I have been feeling a bit unsatisfied with it, because it's a little too raw sounding, and doesn't seem to fit snugly with the synths. It's hard to describe, but anyways, I'm looking for some help with the sound. Basically, have a listen and give me any thoughts regarding this (please don't comment on other instruments because I really won't give a shit).

Here's the link:
http://soundcloud.com/alec-mcgovern/work-in-progress

basically looking for answers to these questions:
Do you think it needs to be changed or does it sound good with the rest of the song?

If yes, then should I keep it as the piano instrument in ableton or totally change it to a synthesizer with similar sound?

How should this be done?

Thanks in advance and if you reply with a helpful comment I'll definitely return the favor if you want me to listen to anything

PolarBearAssault

Re: Need help with Progressive/electro piano sound

Post by PolarBearAssault » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:37 pm

Forgot to say something about the reverse piano sounds in the original post...
just added those right before posting it here because I liked the effect, just know that it's super rough and I didn't feel like messing any more with it right then

wjbuchanan

Re: Need help with Progressive/electro piano sound

Post by wjbuchanan » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:03 pm

I think it could do with some variation in the sound - perhaps change the velocity of the notes to put emphasis on certain notes or perhaps use autofilter with an LFO on it to make it more "rhythmic".

Maybe stick a delay on it and use clip automation to make the reverse notes repeat a little...or build up the effect until the next part comes in to build tension a wee bit.

Dunno...how about some chorus to make the sound "shimmer" a bit?

Personally I'm not a fan of the standard piano sound, if it were me I'd make it a Rhodes sounds...you could mash a Rhodes keyboard with your fist and it'll still sound good :)

If I'm stuck for sounds I'll usually turn to a Moog style VST as they are so easy to program and sound great. Good for inspiration...

Here's a free Moog VST which comes highly rated.

http://home.no/gunnare/

Hope this helps...