Live sampler presets NEVER release their memory even when...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
TTOZ

Live sampler presets NEVER release their memory even when...

Post by TTOZ » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:12 pm

....closing the live set!

Live suite 8.3.3

let me give you an example.

I launch Live 8, it is using just under 200mb memory

Macbook pro Quad 2.2, live 332 bit, Snow Leopard 10.6.8, 8Gb ram.

I recently purchased some live packs (the amazing taiko drums, and the disappointingly awful sonarte crystal sounds and sound objects. Believe me save your money here, i have never heard such crap in my life.. 200 repeating presets with almost no variation)

so i load a full taiko drum kit, live goes to say 1.1gb memory usage.

Remove it completely and the track even, live only drops to around 945 mb usage. It just won't release the memory, even after waiting half an hour.

So much for ableton's "sampler memory purging" features!

It's the same scenario on simpler and sampler patches like orchestral stuff.

I thought maybe ableton is just "holding" this memory and the usage will not "increase" until i go over it again.. for example i was hoping it was really only using 200mb again. So i loaded another instrument to check, in this case a nexus piano at 85mb, and live went to 945mb a+ 85 mb on top.. so there is a huge bunch of unallocated wasted memory.

This is crazy! What is this software? Bug after bug after bug! I just spent almost 500 bucks at the soundset shop and 400+ bucks on live box suite! I believed their claims of this amazing memory management malarkey!

What on earth? Can someone confirm, deny? HELP even! If i am doing something wrong i sincerely and humbly apologize, but i have a feeling live is the culprit here!
I am bitwig, pick me, pick me, i now hAs midi export!

agent314

Re: Live sampler presets NEVER release their memory even when...

Post by agent314 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:58 pm

Have you opened a support request?

Also, are you noticing performance issues/memory errors otherwise?

TTOZ

Post by TTOZ » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:49 am

yep i will be opening a support ticket of course, and yes live will crash when overloading the memory as it's very easy to do in this case

the reason i wrote at the forums first is it's always great to speak to peers and see who has also noticed the problem, and what experience they have had with it. That's what forums are for!
I am bitwig, pick me, pick me, i now hAs midi export!

zigzag

Post by zigzag » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:29 pm

By the way it is not just sampler causing this. All instruments native/or not never release their memory even after closing a Live set.
This been reported since one of the first live 8 betas. Nothing was done. I can't believe we get no attention for such issues.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:25 am

I can confirm this. I thought the memory was used for UNDO but the usage was barely decreased even after refreshed to new set.

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:53 am

I've noticed this too.. I downloaded a 99cent app from the app store called smart ram.. it does the trick for me and free's up unallocated RAM every time i close ableton.. To be fair to ableton, i noticed safari does this also at times..

DrTroutHair

Post by DrTroutHair » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:47 am

Aye. I'm using pretty substantial a Hackintosh to mix down and master my tunes. I've usually got between 4-8 instances of the guitar software Amplitube running (my old macbookpro could get 3 max then it crumbled). My CPU is running at around 20-25% but Ableton is regularly crashing out. Sometimes if flashes up that I am out of memory. With 8GB of RAM I didn't expect that to be happening.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:48 am

unless you are running the new 64 bit beta, Live's maximum possible RAM usage is 4 GB.