Can someone help diagnose my recording issues?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Illuminator

Can someone help diagnose my recording issues?

Post by Illuminator » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:47 am

Hey all i've posted this issue a couple times but to no avail.

Now I'm wondering if anyone would be so kind enough to PM me their email and take a listen to my dj set and try to help me diagnose a weird buzzing sound that just overtakes the audio playback (kind of sounds like beat repeat gone wild layered on top of the track) It happens with nearly every set i record off of live and I still haven't been able to come up with a solution.

To any takers...i will be forever in your debt and will be happy to help out anyway i can on my end!

Cymatic Kicks

Re: Can someone help diagnose my recording issues?

Post by Cymatic Kicks » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:47 am

Try unplugging the power cable and see if it goes away. It might be a power issue.

invol

Post by invol » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:24 am

Buzzing usually implies grounding issues. Make sure your turntables / mixer have the ground wire connected. Also, are you using 3 prong plugs for all your gear? If so, have you tested the outlets to make sure they are actually wired correctly? You can get a cheap tester to see if they are at any hardware store.

Illuminator

Post by Illuminator » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:41 pm

I am only using headphone in while mixing, i don't have an output for the sound since i am in a small apartment, so i don't think it's an issue with grounding etc

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:35 pm

Illuminator wrote:so i don't think it's an issue with grounding etc
Easy to test if you have a laptop (so you don't just "think" its not a problem) - just unplug the power cable, if it runs without the buzzing on battery, it's a grounding issue.

Illuminator

Post by Illuminator » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:15 pm

Son of a gun cotdagoo...you're right, thank you so much for your help!!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:21 pm

you can get a filter for electrical noise. i use an APC battery backup for that, but there are some that are stand alone units.

they can be a little pricey, but if you think about the stress it saves your computer (and anything else plugged into it) coupled with the fact that it solves your audio issue it's not a bad deal at all.

this one is similar to the two i use:

http://www.techexcess.net/Apc-Battery-B ... a-Aba.aspx

out of stock ATM, but gives you a general idea. your google works as good as mine. :wink:

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:43 pm

I bought one of these a few years ago before I re-wired my house - http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062214
Called a 'ground loop isolator' - Not sure if RCA cables are any use - but I've used a few adapters on my RCAs to get to 1/4" without problems.

Illuminator

Post by Illuminator » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:24 am

I'm just amazed that you were able to point out the issue so easily...i have been having difficulties with that buzzing for almost a year now and just ignored it....thank you so much for your help.

I guess i'll have to pick up one of those backup batteries, it's not too pricey considering i spent quite a bit on my gear, might as well avoid any distortions.

Thanks a million guys!!

blakbeltjonez

Post by blakbeltjonez » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:28 am

just get a $0.75 ground lift at Home Depot or similar - try that first before throwing any more money at the problem.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:12 am

^ that will definitely prove (or disprove) the hypothesis. could be wise to avoid just plain ole being wrong, but the fact remains that the other gear is a good thing.

probably the most overlooked and underrated part on a PC is the power supply. clean power is like healthy food.

Cymatic Kicks

Post by Cymatic Kicks » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:56 pm

Cymatic Kicks wrote:Try unplugging the power cable and see if it goes away. It might be a power issue.
These work well too from what I've read:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifie ... terminator