Anyone used FL and Ableton?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
chopsui

Anyone used FL and Ableton?

Post by chopsui » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:08 am

So I recently switched from FL to Ableton and I'm havin a blast exploring all it's crazy features, my only thing is that it's just kinda weird. Seems so much easier to use the piano roll and timeline on FL.. I guess they both have their uses. It's kinda weird how you have to record to the timeline live. I guess they've both got pros and cons.

pencilrocket

Re: Anyone used FL and Ableton?

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:28 am

chopsui wrote:how you have to record to the timeline live.
RTFM. Choose input type and select 'In' in the track menu.

chopsui

Post by chopsui » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:23 am

looked all over and couldnt find it. do i seriously have to look up a youtube tutorial on this? also sucks how you cant preview shit on the piano roll. fl's getting performance mode so.. dunno if its worth starting over on a new daw. i dont see how it's supposed to be so "fluid" can anyone show me a video of "fluid" producing on ableton seems like it's 90% setting up shit, 10% triggering samples to timeline, lol.

mayabong

Post by mayabong » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:11 pm

I don't really understand what you want to do. I was an avid fl user for years, once I found ableton I switched overnight. I do sometimes use it as a vst Plugin tho.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:16 pm

you don't have to record to the arrangement (timeline)..
you can drag clips into it..

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:50 pm

chopsui wrote:also sucks how you cant preview shit on the piano roll.
I remember that while FL has scrub function in the PR Live doesn't have. If you just want to preview the piano roll in normal speed you simply need to solo its track.
i dont see how it's supposed to be so "fluid"
I'm using FL for producing track as it's useful for me. IMO, I think Live is good at modifying tempo and launching/record audio clips in session view with their supported devices. It could be described as fluid.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:01 pm

you can preview shit on the piano roll .. just enable the button on the top of it..

chopsui

Post by chopsui » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:33 am

I'm actually loving you guys proving me wrong, I want ableton to be bad ass I really like how intuitive it is. Honestly I think if I had one friend who knew ableton I would learn all the basic "getting around the daw" controls in like 30 mins, its just hard to notice that little headphone above the piano roll, thanks for the tip. Sustain loop roll in sampler is pretty cool. AutoFilter is your standard filter. It's bad ass how you can drag simpler into the drum rack, have endless effect chains, etc. Any other extra cool stuff I'm missing out on?

I had a friend over to record some guitar and I wanted to use ableton but until my workflow gets better aka "more fluid" I think I'll have to stick to the DAW I know inside out until I can master ableton. I have a ton of tutorials and videos to watch, not enough hours in the day. Thats why I've been up til literally 10am every night just messing with this program, time flies. Thanks again for the tips guys.

Also is drumrack the only sample triggering instrument? I like impulse but having to click the play button is kinda lame, I can't map anything to it either.

Basically: What's your favorite stuff?

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:51 am

chopsui

Post by chopsui » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:43 pm

deleted this stupid comment I made cause I'm way too sleep deprived.. thanks for your tips 3dot I really appreciate it, sorry being tired makes me a grumpy asshole. I'll get some sleep, haha.
Last edited by chopsui on Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chopsui

Post by chopsui » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:47 pm

ENROLLMENT IS NOW CLOSED
WE’LL SEE YOU AGAIN NEXT TIME!

It's ok though like I said I have like 3 different series on learning ableton. They are just long slow vids, I like working with my friends I can just pick everything up as we go instead of spending hours watching some annoying fuck talk slow as shit about 75% stupid shit I already know.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:37 am

lol yes most of the things in that video are clearly stated in manual. Search in manual is faster than watching some derisive videos.