No JBridgeM for AU plugs?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Fanu

No JBridgeM for AU plugs?

Post by Fanu » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:37 am

So I installed the 64-bit beta.
Heard I should use JBridgeM to convert 32-bit plugs into 64-bit.

Not a bad idea, but all plugs I've ever used are AU :(
Trying to replace an AU plugin in a project with a VST one doesnt really help either as it reverts the settings of the plugin to default, which is no good as I've got dozens of songs, several big live sets etc that use loads and loads of AU plugins.

Uh-oh.

I guess I have to wait till the official release, which'll be able to launch 32-bit plugs :(

TabSel

Re: No JBridgeM for AU plugs?

Post by TabSel » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:40 am

it won't...

keep on working in x32 on existing projects using x32 AUs.
Work on new projects with live x64 using x64 VST's or x32 VSTs jBridged to x64.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:26 pm

Fanu wrote: I guess I have to wait till the official release, which'll be able to launch 32-bit plugs :(
Umm, no it won't. "All 64-bit plug-ins can be used in the 64-bit version. 32-bit plug-ins cannot be used directly in the 64-bit version"

Fanu

Post by Fanu » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:15 pm

So it's not even planned that the 64b version can use 32b plugs?
Thats a shitty deal for someone who's been doing numerous songs over the years using several 32b AU plugs and who'd like to be using them on big live sets with the 64b Live.

Fanu

Post by Fanu » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:28 pm

Im asking because Ive been using a AU plugin called Apqualizr for years, and it can't be loaded by the 64-bit Live and Im afraid I should go thru loads of manual work to make up for that :/

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:38 pm

Ableton acknowledged that they're not planning on implementing a "bridging" solution..
better get jbridge while the price is still low..
http://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/

Fanu

Post by Fanu » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:47 pm

In my case, JBridgeM wont help:
I've got Apqualizer AU plugs in literally every song of mine from the past two years or so, on several channels!
I feel like I'm in deep shit with this.

I CAN replace the plug with a VST version one, but there's no way for me to copy settings, so I have to EQ it all over again....and there must be hundreds of those in past years' work of mine.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:52 pm

Welcome to producing music with computers :) I have so many songs from years past I can never re-open, either because the plug in manufacturer no longer makes compatible versions, or I changed DAWs, or sometimes for reasons I'll never truly figure out. If you're concerned about being able to reopen songs years later, the only true option is exporting them track by track as audio files and archiving those. Luckily, Live makes this very easy to do in one shot if that's what you want to do.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:55 pm

Apple's selfish standardizing is always shit. They like producing victims like you. To prevent future disaster you could ignore their standard in advance. The source of annoyance.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:01 pm

Tarekith wrote:Welcome to producing music with computers :) I have so many songs from years past I can never re-open, either because the plug in manufacturer no longer makes compatible versions, or I changed DAWs, or sometimes for reasons I'll never truly figure out. If you're concerned about being able to reopen songs years later, the only true option is exporting them track by track as audio files and archiving those. Luckily, Live makes this very easy to do in one shot if that's what you want to do.
Not really any different than producing with hardware synths and midi sequencers though. You can record the synths to audio and you can also save midi tracks. I too get hung up on the notion that a project in any DAW should be able to be opened forever, but alas, such is not the way of technology, so important ones need various types of backup (audio and midi to recreate it).
Professional Shark Jumper.

Fanu

Post by Fanu » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:06 pm

Tarekith wrote:Welcome to producing music with computers :) I have so many songs from years past I can never re-open, either because the plug in manufacturer no longer makes compatible versions, or I changed DAWs, or sometimes for reasons I'll never truly figure out. If you're concerned about being able to reopen songs years later, the only true option is exporting them track by track as audio files and archiving those. Luckily, Live makes this very easy to do in one shot if that's what you want to do.
I think that's the only option for now.
I've emailed the manufacturer of the said plugin...maybe I shouldn't holding my breath, though.

I guess I have some work ahead to do.
I'll have to open the songs in 32-bit Live, add a VST version of the plugin on every channel that uses it, manually copy the settings, and then open the song in 64-bit Live that'll use a bridged VST version of the plugin.

There's so many songs....phew... :-0

square7

Post by square7 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:32 pm

I feel your pain. Yet not many others do I guess.

Have way too many 32 bit AU plugins that I refuse to just "let go".
It's kinda sad that they don't really care about 32 bit anymore now that 64 bit is here.

Doesn't really make sense to me. Jbridge is pretty useless as far as I'm concerned.

Is it too much to ask for NATIVE 32 bit bridge support?

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:36 pm

Fanu wrote:
I think that's the only option for now.
I've emailed the manufacturer of the said plugin...maybe I shouldn't holding my breath, though.

I guess I have some work ahead to do.
I'll have to open the songs in 32-bit Live, add a VST version of the plugin on every channel that uses it, manually copy the settings, and then open the song in 64-bit Live that'll use a bridged VST version of the plugin.

There's so many songs....phew... :-0
OR, you could leave the 32 bit live on your system and use that for existing projects. Use the 64 bit version for new projects (using your VSTs only). By the way, the jbridge guy has said there may be AU support down the road. The mac jbridge is still beta. It's V0.7 or something.
Professional Shark Jumper.

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:46 pm

square7 wrote:I feel your pain. Yet not many others do I guess.

Have way too many 32 bit AU plugins that I refuse to just "let go".
It's kinda sad that they don't really care about 32 bit anymore now that 64 bit is here.

Doesn't really make sense to me. Jbridge is pretty useless as far as I'm concerned.

Is it too much to ask for NATIVE 32 bit bridge support?
Yeah, it's too much to ask.. A bit like complaining your 8-track tape won't fit into a cd player..

32bit technology is the 8-track of our days.. Most, if not all actively developed plugins offer a 64bit version now.

For someone like you, Jbridge should be far from useless.. you have 32bit plugs you want to use but can't in a 64bit host.. That's where Jbridge becomes useful - as it easily bridges these 32bit plugs so you can use them.. Make any sense? Still useless? Enjoy your non-working 32bit plugins then I guess..

Fanu

Post by Fanu » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:41 pm

I asked the JBridgeM creator about possible AU bridging:

"Not so soon, but I'll try to make it possible in the future. ;-)"

I'm ready to do the manual labor required to bring my tunes to the 64-bitness.
Will probably take quite a few hours of work but fuck it!